Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 malfunctioning

ANSWERED

I have 2 charge 5 at home. Since May 8th 2024, both are having some issues.

First one has stopped counting steps and heart rate. I have to reset and restart it, then it works for 1 minute. Then the green sensor light starts flickering (very low intensity than usual) and then the watch shuts down.

The other is also not counting any steps or heart beat and is continuously restarting on its own. Have done reset and restarted.

Any global issue due to some software update?

Anything that I can do apart from resetting and restarting?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @7Ray welcome, I do not see a trend of reports such as yours in these fora. How old are your Charge 5's? It's a fact of life that small wearable devices lose battery reserve with mounting charge/discharge cycles - it's not just Fitbit. The flickering sensor LED lights might indicate a charging issue - do you see the battery fully charged in the Fitbit app on your phone?

If your Charge 5's are less than 2 years old you may have the benefit of Fitbit's return and warranty policy 

It will depend on where you are, who you bought it from & how long you have had them. Your next step should be to talk to "Customer Support" using the chat facility or phone for a prompt response.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Hi, @7Ray welcome, I do not see a trend of reports such as yours in these fora. How old are your Charge 5's? It's a fact of life that small wearable devices lose battery reserve with mounting charge/discharge cycles - it's not just Fitbit. The flickering sensor LED lights might indicate a charging issue - do you see the battery fully charged in the Fitbit app on your phone?

If your Charge 5's are less than 2 years old you may have the benefit of Fitbit's return and warranty policy 

It will depend on where you are, who you bought it from & how long you have had them. Your next step should be to talk to "Customer Support" using the chat facility or phone for a prompt response.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. After charging the device full, a reset and a restart lets it work for 5 min or so, and then it stops counting anything and shuts on its own. The batter never indicates less than 50 percent or so.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes there are global issues due to the firmware update. Everyone is having problems but Fitbit refuses to acknowledge or take responsibility. BBC has written an article about it.

Best Answer

Hi, @7Ray, check your warranty situation & talk to "Customer Support". It's a good move to note the steps you've taken & the results so you are ready to brief the agent clearly.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is funny - NOT seeing a trend...really?????And when did the warranty become 2 years as my 14 month old fitbit DEATH got me an offer of 35% off(and I said to forget that noise) 

I have 2 that died in 2 days - FB/Google may not want to admit it but this is truly absurd

Best Answer

I agree. My Charge 5 is 10 months old and all of a sudden it is malfunctioning. It went blank for over 8 hours. After putting it on the charge, it came back on. Then it would not count steps beyond 164. Now the sensors are not working. It will not recognize that it is on my wrist. The only light in the back is the red light, no green light.  I am getting a little fed up with Fitbit.  I have had 3 Versas and thought to try the Charge 5.  I may have to give them up totally.  I am tired of having to fight with warranty when the device should last more than 10 months.  

BTW......this is a trend!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Answer

Have put it on X (formerly Twitter), basis last times experience with Fitbit customer care.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is a follow-up of my issue. I contacted Support and got help.  Would you believe that one thing you must do is "change the clock face". After doing that and syncing my device my sensors started working again. I will give it a few more days.  I haven't seen the update push through yet.  I hope that will not be an issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes