Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 screen is going dark so quickly

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've just purchased a charge 5 and when I try to scroll up/down or left/right the screen keeps going dark. I can refresh it by twisting wrist, but it will sometimes do this multiple times before I get to the desired screen making it almost unusabe. Is there some setting I haven't discovered yet that enables this?  I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before. 

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Hi there, @micmgn. Welcome to the Fitbit Community Forums. Thanks for the details provided in your post about the inconvenience with your Charge 5. 

How do you have your Charge 5 screen configured? On the clock screen, swipe down from the top of the screen to access quick settings > tap Screen Wake.

• When you set Screen Wake to Auto, the screen turns on each time you turn your wrist.
  • When you set Screen Wake to Manual, firmly tap the screen twice to turn on the screen.

For more information, see How do I see the time on my Fitbit device?

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've set to Auto.

But my question is why when i tap the screen once does it go dark. Even if I set the screen to 'always on', I notice it starts dimming, especially after i touch it with my finger.

What setting would cause the screen to immediately go dark when trying to scroll. Maybe I've gotten a defective unit that needs returning but it works otherwise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@micmgn Thanks for the details provided in your post and following the tips and recommendations I provided above. 

Would you mind checking if your Charge 5 is in sleep mode? When the sleep mode setting is on:

• Notifications, goal celebrations, and reminders to move are muted.
  • The screen's brightness is set to dim.
  • The Always-On Display clock face is turned off.
  • The screen stays dark when you turn your wrist.
  • The sleep mode icon illuminates in the quick settings.

To turn off Sleep Mode, swipe down from the clock screen. Tap a setting to adjust it. When you turn off a setting, the icon appears dim with a line through it. For more information, see How do I navigate my Fitbit device?

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

thanks for the reply but the charge 5 is not in sleep mode.

It seems to function normally and will time out after 10sec and it will go dark if I do not intervene.

But when trying to scroll it will often just go dark when tapped. The time can be random, meaning the 10seconds is not relevant while scrolling.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try letting the device use some of its charge. Then try the reset routine. I can’t see the reset option on my device. It’s all very frustrating. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello & welcome @Lynn256 

Would you mind sharing a bit more detail about not being able to see the reset option on your Charge 5? Is it because your screen is dark & doesn't respond or is it that you don't see the Restart option from the Settings menu on your Charge 5 (swipe down from clock face to access Settings).

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi.
It was because I couldn’t see the menu option. Two Saturday’s ago it went into a coma for three days. It had been nearly fully charged and several attempts to reset using the cable did nothing. Attempting again after three days caused it to wake up but since then the charge life has been less than 5 hours. Resets using the menu option which has now appeared (or I have found) have made no difference. The device is currently near useless because the battery won’t last the night. Up until the first fault it has lasted at least 4 days. There was nothing particular about the day prior to the first fault.
Best Answer
0 Votes