Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 stopped working after getting wet

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After wearing the watch for the first time in the bath the screen has broken and only a thin line come on at the top of the screen 

Tried charging it and still the same 

Any ideas how to fix this 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi there, @Aidany. Welcome to the Community Forums. Thanks for the details provided in your post about the issue with your Charge 5.

If your device got wet, it’s important to take it off and dry it well before putting it back on. On the other hand, if your device has come into contact with any liquid other than fresh water, you should clean it with fresh water and a soap-free cleanser and dry it with a lint free-cloth.

If you've done the above but to no avail, may I know if your Charge 5 vibrated during the restart process? If it didn't, I'd recommend trying the steps below:

• Clean the charging contacts on the back of your device and the pins on your charging cable using the instructions in How do I clean my Fitbit device?
  • If the error "insufficient power source" appears on your device's screen, remove other devices plugged in to your power source, or plug your device in to another source.
  • Try a different USB port or a UL-certified wall charger.
  • Check the alignment and try reconnecting your device to the charging cable. For more information, see How do I charge my Fitbit device?
  • Restart your Fitbit once again.

If nothing seems to work, please follow @Surfista's advice and chat with us online or give us a call. Click here to get connected.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

There are multiple threads on this seemingly common defect in the charge 5. Bottom line seems to be to call customer service and get the defective product replaced.

Best Answer

Hi there, @Aidany. Welcome to the Community Forums. Thanks for the details provided in your post about the issue with your Charge 5.

If your device got wet, it’s important to take it off and dry it well before putting it back on. On the other hand, if your device has come into contact with any liquid other than fresh water, you should clean it with fresh water and a soap-free cleanser and dry it with a lint free-cloth.

If you've done the above but to no avail, may I know if your Charge 5 vibrated during the restart process? If it didn't, I'd recommend trying the steps below:

• Clean the charging contacts on the back of your device and the pins on your charging cable using the instructions in How do I clean my Fitbit device?
  • If the error "insufficient power source" appears on your device's screen, remove other devices plugged in to your power source, or plug your device in to another source.
  • Try a different USB port or a UL-certified wall charger.
  • Check the alignment and try reconnecting your device to the charging cable. For more information, see How do I charge my Fitbit device?
  • Restart your Fitbit once again.

If nothing seems to work, please follow @Surfista's advice and chat with us online or give us a call. Click here to get connected.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Hello this happened to me. The device got wet, so removed it and dried it. 

When I tried to put in on the screen doesn’t work, it seems to be synchronizing with my phone and when I connected to the charger it vibrated but the screen isn’t working, this device it suppose to be water resistance…

Best Answer

Same thing happened to my Charge 5. It got wet and stopped working. Put it in a bowl of rice for 2 days. It appears to be working as yours but no screen. I am currently waiting on a response email for the warranty. Will update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've now had (2) Charge 5's die after their 1st entry into swimming pool.  First time I knew I was taking it in, 2nd time was an accident/forgot about it.   Both times,  same result. ... screen black, might charge but discharges rapidly.  A fried device.

Best Answer

I've now had (2) Charge 5's die after their 1st entry into swimming pool.  First time I knew I was taking it in, 2nd time was an accident/forgot about it.   Both times,  same result. ... screen black, might charge but discharges rapidly.  A fried device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem. It got wet and died. Dried it out for 2 days. Did the restart process and the Fitbit logo shows up but it isnt charging.  Trued cleaing it. Different power source etc. Wont go past 1%. Tried chatting with customer service to see if it is still under warranty but he would not answer the question even though I asked it 3 times.

Best Answer

I went swimming with the my charge 5 and the display just stopped working. It will still buzz when connected to the charger but the display will not work and it won’t sync to my phone. I contacted customer support and since it was no longer under warranty they offered me a discount. I appreciate the discount but it’s just frustrating that this device is advertised as being water resistant when it really isn’t. Upon googling and reading these forums, it’s easy to see that many customers have had the same issue of the device dying after swimming. Additionally I can get the device on Amazon for cheaper than buying the device on the Fitbit website with the 35% discount I was offered. Meanwhile the device isn’t even available currently on the website as it is back ordered. I’ve been using Fitbit for a long time and I love these products but saying these devices are water resistant feels like false advertising. 

Best Answer

I'm with you on this.  I want a device that I can wear in the water without all the qualifiers of what will be ok and what won't.  I don't think the Charge 5 is that device.  I would like Fitbit to come up with a truly water resistant tracker.  Until then, or until another company comes up with one, I will take it off when I do water aerobics.

Best Answer

This process did not work for me. What else can be done? 

Best Answer