Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to solve Charge 5 battery life issue

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I realized after using Charge 5 for a few days, the battery drain very fast after you initiate an exercise. This will last at most 2 days. The easiest way to solve this is to go to settings and restart device. After restarting the battery life would last 4~5 days until you start an exercise . So remember to restart device after every exercise. I hope Fitbit fixed this issue. It seemed maybe it is continuously on exercise mode even though you stop exercising. 

Moderator edit: format 

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Are you using GPS when you exercise?  That can run down the battery quite a bit. If I use it for an hour, it can drain the battery by about 10%...

It might be worth checking if you have GPS set on when you exercise.  If you don't need it, you can turn off the GPS toggle if you swipe up from the exercise screen.

I hope that helps a bit.

Best Answer

My issue is that after I start tracking a gps exercise, for example outdoor run. After I stopped tracking the exercise. Charge 5 battery drain issue appear. And it is quite bad. Within a day battery is gone. The way to solve this is to do a restart after I ended tracking an exercise. I suspect charge 5 continues to use gps even after I ended the exercise. A restart basically stops this issue. The same issue does not occur if you track a non gps based exercise such as workout. If you have battery drain problem try restarting your charge 5. 

Best Answer

I see.  After I do a jog with GPS, I stop the exercise and then swipe up and make sure to switch the GPS toggle to off again.  That way, if I walk really fast or something, it won't turn on GPS.

It might be worth checking through your exercises and making sure the toggle for GPS is set to off for them after you've finished with them.  The Charge 5 seems to be really sensitive to all sorts of things, so that's why I double-check.

Touching wood, I've been quite lucky with my battery so far and it seems to lasting about the same as the 4.  Mind you, I top it up every day when I have a shower, so I haven't let it run down much...

Restarting every time doesn't seem very practical so it might be worth double-checking the GPS toggle is set to off.

Best Answer

Hello @Xterm8, welcome to the Fitbit Community forums.

Thank you for sharing all this information about the trouble you've been experiencing with your Charge 5 device. 

The battery can last up to 7 days; because battery life is affected by use and other settings, actual results may vary. Before considering other options, please make sure that you've followed the steps provided in this article

In addition, in case the GPS continues to track an activity even when you already stopped it, try to perform a restart following the steps listed here, this has been useful for other users experiencing something similar. 

As it was mentioned earlier, if you use built-in GPS regularly, Charge 5 has a battery life of up to 4 days, and if you use built-in GPS continuously, Charge 5 has a battery life of up to 5 hours. 

I'll be around. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

There is a problem with the software in the Charge 5 and I think it has to do with the GPS. I was unable to turn off the GPS completely on the device until I went to the online setting from a web browser (The app and device does not allow you to turn off GPS, only enable "phone" GPS). I'm going to try using it again with GPS completely off and see if that fixes the battery drain.  I've have done literally everything else possible to stop the battery drain!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

On charge 5. Go to settings and do restart device. Do this after every exercise that uses the GPS (for example, walking and running). It is quick and effective. It is currently the only solution to the charge 5 battery drain issue that works for me.

Best Answer

@KevC5 @Xterm8 Thank you for sharing your replies and confirming that you already tried all the steps suggested. 

Could you please provide a few extra details about the GPS problem you mentioned earlier? Let me know how you noticed the GPS was not turning off completely or that it was causing the battery to drain problem. 

I'll be around. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

Reason why I think the gps on the watch is still active is because the battery draining issue only occur if I track an exercise that uses the gps, such as running and walking. Even after I ended the exercise the charge 5 continue to drain the battery as if the watch is still tracking my exercise. The moment I restart device , the draining issue is no longer an issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello

I have had my Charge 5 for 1 month.  I previously had Charge 2, 3 and 4 and am familiar with all the battery saving settings e.g.. screen off overnight, not using in-built GPS, manual screen wake, dim screen, etc.   I set my Charge 5 up with exactly the same settings as my Charge 4.  I have been delighted with the battery life until yesterday. Suddenly I went from 100% to less than 10% during the day.  I have changed nothing.  I recharged in the evening and went to bed wearing my tracker as usual.  The battery was about 95%.  When I woke up this morning I was surprised to see the battery down to 40% and during today it went under 10%. Until yesterday I was getting 5 - 7 days between recharges, tracking runs and walks and gym,  What might have happened and how do I fix it? Suggestions welcomed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Return the darn Charge 5 is the only way to fix it. I tried everything and the battery just drains. Got the old Inspire 2 (only $50) and it last for 2+ WEEKS with heavy workouts everyday! With Inspire 2 I'm on day 10 right now with still 56% battery life!!!  I will never buy a Charge again unless they improve the battery! 

Best Answer
0 Votes