Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more GPS data from the built-in GPS

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello,

From the end of June, the built-in GPS does not work anymore. I have contacted the support on twitter but I would like to share it here in order to know if someone else face the same issue.

I will answer in blue on several points that must be checked to get a GPS signal.

• Confirm that the exercise type uses built-in GPS

The exercises are running outdoor and cycling outdoor, I usually do my sport in the same area.

• To more quickly establish a GPS connection, point your device toward open sky. Environmental factors, including tall buildings, dense forest, steep hills, and thick cloud cover, can interfere with your device’s ability to connect to GPS satellites. If the signal is blocked—either because you're indoors, underground, or due to another reason—GPS won't work.

When I run, I am in a park with trees, but I did not meet the issue before the end of june.

When I cycle, I am in the forest with some area with more or less trees and before I haven't the issue.

The GPS is parameter as dynamic, I tested built in too.

• Make sure that your device is charged to at least 80%.

Yes it does

• Confirm that your device is syncing with the Fitbit app. The more you sync your device, the faster your device can connect to GPS.

Yes I do it daily at least one time.

• Avoid trying to start an exercise with GPS several times in a row, which can prevent your device from connecting to GPS.

Never

• Hold your arm parallel to your body near your head and at least 2 inches away.

I wear the device as described.

If you still have trouble connecting to GPS or notice that your distance traveled seems inaccurate, try the following tips to allow your device to connect to GPS satellites:

• Follow the recommendations for wearing your device for exercise. For more information, see How do I wear my Fitbit device?
  • Try loosening the band 1 notch.
  • Make sure your device doesn't touch your wrist bone.
  • Avoid bending your wrist backwards.
  • Establish a GPS connection before beginning your exercise.

I have tried all the points above and still have the problem. I have reset the device in factory mode and still have the problem.
Due to this issue I have to use the GPS from my phone.

I would like to know if the issue is from the software or it's hardware? And if I can change the device to a new one with the guarantee if the problem is hardware?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi, @Remes, welcome to the community, How do I use GPS on my Fitbit device? provides basic advice & guidance, I apologise if you have (as I suspect) reviewed it before.

While "Phone" is self-explanatory you might note that "Dynamic" uses the phone GPS but if the Bluetooth connection is lost will revert to the built-in GPS. If the reverse happens GPS is disabled.  The built-in GPS has the option to enable GLONASS which is the Russian GPS system which offers slightly more accuracy in higher latatudes.

Bearing in mind the phone's GPS antenna is substantially larger than your Charge 5 it is inevitable it's going to be more reliable.

You mention woodland environments, if these are broad-leafed trees there will be a seasonal variation in the strength of the signal you get, particularly on your Charge 5.

If you want to pursue a return your only way forward will be to talk to "Customer Support" using the chat facility or phone for a prompt response. I hope this helps.

Cheers 

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you @Gr4ndp4 for your reply

I have leaked of accuracy in my post.

I have choosen the charge 5 thanks to its built-in GPS because I don't like to bring my phone with me when I'm running.

About cycling I used my phone as GPS to follow a circuit on an app, so it's hard to use my phone as a Gps for the charge 5 and in the same time follow an itinerary. Now I have a GPS made for cycle which is more convenient and now I can dedicate my GPS phone for the fitbit.

I use to cycle in the same forest and I have never encountered any GPS issue on any device. The point is just the fitbit built-in GPS does not work anymore.

When I used to run outside, I let my phone at home and let the default parameter of the fitbit charge 5 GPS at Dynamic.

That means the GPS tracking has to work from the built-in.

Before starting a running I check that everything is fine and start the record, usually the fitbit charge 5 find a GPS signal within seconds.

Today, the device is no more able to find one.

If I use my phone and use the GPS from the phone, the signal is found within seconds.

All the test and experience above have been done at the same place.

To sum up, from my point of view, the issue is on fitbit side. I just don't know if it's software issue or hardware issue.

I'd like if it's software issue but if nobody else than me face this problem that probably means it's hardware.

What do you think?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Remes, I do not know the answer to your question. Charge 4 suffered similar issues.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

Best Answer
0 Votes