Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not happy with being forced to use Google

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Not happy finding out we have to move to Google. Anyone else not happy being forced to use Google,  what have you found to be the best alternative?

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Mybitx2  Google announced in November 2019 that it was purchasing Fitbit and it was finalized January 2021. It's been a slow transition, but it happening. There isn't anything we can do as Google owns Fitbit and is within their rights to make adjustments as necessary. As for alternatives, there are quite a few out there, but many seem to prefer the Fitbit app and features to those of other devices. You don't need to switch to a Google account until 2025.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Hi Odyssey13,

Your explanation of what is going on with Fitbit and Google is correct.  Sometime early 2025 fitbit users either migrate to google or find an alternative.  For those who do not want google,  I am wondering what alternatives they are considering Apple, Garmin?  
Also, I have noticed problem's with the app since Google took over.  

Best Answer

@Mybitx2  honestly as these devices become more a part of our lives, there will be few, if any, alternatives that won't use the same basics as Google. When I visit family, everyone is on their phone, there is usually an Alexa or a Google assistant calling out reminders or answering questions. A doorbell camera sees what goes on and our phones chime when there is a food or grocery delivery arrival. When we shop in a store, we are monitored by cameras and our credit card companies know exactly what we purchase and how often we get pepperoni on our pizza. Our health care professionals have our charts available online and our banks seem to prefer sending online statements and not a paper one. Times are changing and it's up to us to weigh the options. If you want to keep track of your fitness journey and use a tracker, if doesn't matter what brand you decided to use - they all will want to know your personal information and they will keep track of your data. The only way to avoid Google or any other company is to use an old fashioned pedometer and keep a paper journal of your accomplishments.

For me, when it's time, I'll go ahead and switch over to Google. I like Fitbit and have been with them for over ten years. I doubt they will learn much more about me than they already know.

Hope you find what works best for you.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Your point is well taken, that is the crux of the issue.  The implications to our loss of privacy is alarming.

However, I would like the choice to keep my Fitbit account the way it is currently or migrate to a Google account.

Best Answer