Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you weigh your nuts?

I’m a guy who weighs his nuts, every single day. And guess what?

Spoiler
They always weigh the same: 25 grams, no more, no less Smiley LOL
My nuts
The reason I’m doing this is nuts are a typical example of a "healthy" food that’s so easy to over-eat. My daily portion of 25 grams is 148 calories. Once it’s on the plate, I close all bags, put them back into the cupboard and only take them out again the next day.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

That's what I've been trying to explain to my dad! He is under the impression of eating healthy when he makes a bowl of yogurt, X or Y fruits (always 2 or 3 whole fruits), honey, chia, ground flax, half a cup of assorted nuts and about a cup of granola for good measure.That's a sugar and calorie ladden bomb!

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique Yes I always do

@HelenaFitbit Wow! That's a lot in one bowl! 

I always weigh Avocado as well as you get a lot more than you think you do and I love  Heart Avocado 

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

I weigh my bananas too. Bananas aren't as expensive (calorie-wise) as nuts, but it's surprising how much a banana weighs. A decent-sized banana is 125 grams, 113 calories, and almost pure carbs. Great 20 mins before a long walk, though. 

I've noticed the same with a lot of fruits that everyone knows are healthy. They may be healthy, but also loaded with calories in a normal-size serving.

SebringDon | Florida USA | Fitbit's Food Plan Demystified

Charge HR, Flex | Windows 10 | Android | iPad

Best Answer
0 Votes

I always weigh them now! Before tracking I'd sit at the computer with an open container of peanuts, mixed nuts, whatever. I'd be constantly taking the lid off, putting it back on, taking it off, shoving the can away from me. When I first weighed  out 1 ounce of mixed nuts and thought back to my previous habits?  Wow, an eye-opener. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@waywithwords

I'll see your peanuts and raise you milk chocolate and a hard candy shell. I used to do exactly the same thing with a bag of M&M peanut candies. Then I got a Fitbit and a clue and found out those little puppies are seven calories each. Holy Cow!

SebringDon | Florida USA | Fitbit's Food Plan Demystified

Charge HR, Flex | Windows 10 | Android | iPad

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh heavens no! @SebringDon I must not go near the candy aisles then, M&Ms with peanut butter inside have been a personal favorite. Right now I'd rather buy a higher quality chocolate (like Pacari) that I can enjoy and hold on for a little longer than popping candies. 

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

No i just stick to one small handful daily. 2 handfuls if I need more calories from working out longer than usual.  I absolutely love nuts!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Nuts and bananas. What a great combination!!
Best Answer

I use 1/3 cup for all my healthy fats ie: nuts, cheeses, etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Some great news is that the method for measuring the calories in walnuts has been flawed and that a 180 calorie serving of walnuts is actually 140 calories. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I weigh everything. Exhausting but necessary!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

@barter wrote:

Some great news is that the method for measuring the calories in walnuts has been flawed and that a 180 calorie serving of walnuts is actually 140 calories. 

@barter: would that be this part of the Prevision Nutrition Infographics mentioned in this other topic?

nuts_precisionnutrition.png

In the case of walnuts, 180 x .79 = 142.2, which would be in line with your numbers. According to the above, we should favour almonds over walnuts Smiley Wink

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes