Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eating more protein than carbs

ANSWERED

For the last week, I have been eating more carbs than protein. Which foods contain more protein because I am aware that it is been a long time that I learned nutrition lessons. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

wrote:

Typical sources of quality (contain all the essential amino-acids) protein: meat, fish, seafood, eggs, many dairy products (e.g. cheese, quark). If you want to minimize calories/fat, go for skinless chicken/turkey, leaner cuts of red meat, eggwhites instead of whole eggs, low-fat dairy. OTOH, you’re probably eating a low-carb/high-fat diet, so minimizing fats may not be your main goal (guessing this as most people would normally eat more carbs than protein, even those - like me - who have a high intake of protein).

There are some significant errors in fact. Quality in terms of protein is simply how fast it is absorbed into the system. It has nothing with how good it is or the body. Animal proteins have the annoying habit of increasing the risk of cancer when eaten above the amount needed for growth. That would be about 12-13% of calories. 

You’ll also find incidental protein in many other sources, for instance rice, pasta, nuts, beans etc., but they tend to be lower quality / incomplete protein. This doesn’t mean they are bad/unhealthy foods, just that they should be viewed primarily as healthy sources of other macronutrients (e.g. carbs for rice or whole-grain bread, fats for peanut butter etc.).

If the diet consists entirely of a normal variation of vegetables, and a person eats all vegetables, they will get 12-13% of their calories in protein. The idea that any vegetable is missing an essential protein is incorrect, but even a few vegetables will contain all the essential proteins. (There are recently discovered processes that show all the proteins can morph into other proteins.) The proteins are hardly incidental when the vegetables contain enough.

Also note you may see claims that anything more than the strict minimum recommended intake of protein will cause cancer, heart disease and what not. And that it will also cause kidney failure. These claims are unfunded and you can safely ignore them. Cancer, heart disease, chronic kidney disease etc. are caused by multiple factors, not by a single macronutrient, nor even by a poor diet alone.

The strict minimum for protein is five percent for 95% of the population. This has been tested every year since 1943. It's done for the military. The results are doubled to include 99.9% of the population. The amount of protein needed for growth is 12-13%. Anything more of ANIMAL PROTEIN causes all the disease you mention. Exceeding these minimums with vegetable protein has no effect on cancer and heart disease. I don't know about the others.

(Source: Dr. Campbell and others.)

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Typical sources of quality (contain all the essential amino-acids) protein: meat, fish, seafood, eggs, many dairy products (e.g. cheese, quark). If you want to minimize calories/fat, go for skinless chicken/turkey, leaner cuts of red meat, eggwhites instead of whole eggs, low-fat dairy. OTOH, you’re probably eating a low-carb/high-fat diet, so minimizing fats may not be your main goal (guessing this as most people would normally eat more carbs than protein, even those - like me - who have a high intake of protein).

You’ll also find incidental protein in many other sources, for instance rice, pasta, nuts, beans etc., but they tend to be lower quality / incomplete protein. This doesn’t mean they are bad/unhealthy foods, just that they should be viewed primarily as healthy sources of other macronutrients (e.g. carbs for rice or whole-grain bread, fats for peanut butter etc.).

Also note you may see claims that anything more than the strict minimum recommended intake of protein will cause cancer, heart disease and what not. And that it will also cause kidney failure. These claims are unfunded and you can safely ignore them. Cancer, heart disease, chronic kidney disease etc. are caused by multiple factors, not by a single macronutrient, nor even by a poor diet alone.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

wrote:

There are some significant errors in fact. Quality in terms of protein is simply how fast it is absorbed into the system. It has nothing with how good it is or the body. Animal proteins have the annoying habit of increasing the risk of cancer when eaten above the amount needed for growth. That would be about 12-13% of calories. 

If the diet consists entirely of a normal variation of vegetables, and a person eats all vegetables, they will get 12-13% of their calories in protein. The idea that any vegetable is missing an essential protein is incorrect, but even a few vegetables will contain all the essential proteins. (There are recently discovered processes that show all the proteins can morph into other proteins.) The proteins are hardly incidental when the vegetables contain enough.

The strict minimum for protein is five percent for 95% of the population. This has been tested every year since 1943. It's done for the military. The results are doubled to include 99.9% of the population. The amount of protein needed for growth is 12-13%. Anything more of ANIMAL PROTEIN causes all the disease you mention. Exceeding these minimums with vegetable protein has no effect on cancer and heart disease. I don't know about the others.

(Source: Dr. Campbell and others.)

Best Answer

Does this mean I should try to get my proteins more from vegetables etc than from meat? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

Do you mean meat when you are speaking about animal proteins?

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lisawhimperley wrote:

Does this mean I should try to get my proteins more from vegetables etc than from meat? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

Thanks!

Animal proteins come from all animal products. I don't include any of them in my diet. Nada. None. Period. 

When you eat an assortment of vegetables, don't worry about protein. You can't get too little or too much for whatever activity you are doing.

If you want more info, come on over to the Nutritarian thread and start reading from the beginning. 

Best Answer

@lisawhimperley wrote:

Animal protein doesn’t include only meat: it also includes fish, eggs, dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt etc.).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer