Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vegan Eating

ANSWERED

I have switched back to a Vegan lifestyle after some medical issues really forced it. This evening I had one of my favorite meals: black beans, rice, and spicy tomatoes. Simple yet delicious. Lots of protein, good carbs, and very filling. Just thought I would share. Before I went back to Vegan, I used to top it with some cheese. 

This adjsutment is going well. I am having some detox/withdraw but nothing too bad. If anyone is doing something similar please let me know. I would love a Vegan partner.

Being a good steward to this world means loving all your neighbors, not just ones you think have comprehension.
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I am also vegan, but am trying to concentrate on more Whole Food - Plant Based rather than the vegan junk food I have been eating!  I can really tell a difference in my mood, my state of alertness, ability to concentrate and energy level based upon what I am eating.  I also do the black bean rice dish!  I love it!  I saute onion and bell pepper in veggie broth or a tiny bit water, add black beans and rotel tomatoes and serve over brown rice, top with a little chopped avocado - yum!  If you need some good vegan recipes, check out vegweb.com; happyherbivore; fatfreevegan - lots of free recipes on their websites.  Of course, Dr. McDougall, Forks Over Knives, tons of information out there.  I have been getting alot of use out of the Happy Herbivore Light and Lean cookbook and just recently got the Oh She Glows cookbook and have made several really good recipes out of there too!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
37 REPLIES 37

I am also vegan, but am trying to concentrate on more Whole Food - Plant Based rather than the vegan junk food I have been eating!  I can really tell a difference in my mood, my state of alertness, ability to concentrate and energy level based upon what I am eating.  I also do the black bean rice dish!  I love it!  I saute onion and bell pepper in veggie broth or a tiny bit water, add black beans and rotel tomatoes and serve over brown rice, top with a little chopped avocado - yum!  If you need some good vegan recipes, check out vegweb.com; happyherbivore; fatfreevegan - lots of free recipes on their websites.  Of course, Dr. McDougall, Forks Over Knives, tons of information out there.  I have been getting alot of use out of the Happy Herbivore Light and Lean cookbook and just recently got the Oh She Glows cookbook and have made several really good recipes out of there too!

Best Answer

Thank you so much for the websites!! I am right there with you. Once you start down the manmade products I have found I don't feel as good. I try to eat as close to the ground as possible. You make a great point, my moods and behavoir balance out really nicely the more natural I eat. Plus, overeating is hard when you are eating plants. LOL

I really like the Vegucated documentary. There are some great videos out there. I have slowly moved out family away from chemicals to natural detergent, deodorant, toothpaste, cleaning products, and so on that I make using essential oils and such. Now we can smell synthetic stuff a mile away.

Being a good steward to this world means loving all your neighbors, not just ones you think have comprehension.
Best Answer

Vegan also!  (happy to see a good handful of us here 🙂 )  I tend to eat a lot of whole foods and many raw meals as well. I am one of those odd ducks who grows a huge deal of our food and cans and freezes much for winter eating.  ( i even make the families yogurt, bread...)  I guess I am slightly OCD with knowing what is in my food, lol.  Of course time or health do not always allow as much of this as I used to do. Would love to get to know many of you better and share tips, recipes etc .... and share motivation. Yes, there are curvy vegans 🙂

Best Answer

great links Stacy, and I also recently picked up Oh She Glows ... one of my new favorites!

Best Answer

I was Raw Vegan for years after being sick it was the way to health. Then I got sick again and did not have what it takes to prepare the foods like I was. Now I am back on track; though I do cook a huge pot of something Vegan to last for the week. I love eating raw, dehydrating foods, making my own nut milks and cheese dips. My favorite book is called Rawsome; it was the first uncookbook I purchased. Now I keep a whole foods encyclopedia at hand for the foods I want to try but never heard of. After one week back on track my body feels so much better. I'd love to share with other like minded Vegans; recipies or ideas to enhance this lifestyle. Tracking a salad is a challenge for logging so if anyone has any tips for that I'd be grateful. Other than creating a new food called salad and manually entering all I add I'm not sure of a better way. Kudos to all who find this lifestyle beneficial; it saved my life.

Dawn | USA Flex Charge HR Charge Surge Blaze Versa 2 Android
Best Answer

Hi there,

Just joined the fitbit community and I saw your post. I too am also a vegan but only for 3 months now. Don't think I could ever get back. Anyways, most of my recipes come from pinterest. It's amazing what you can find. I did however find this gound veggie at my local grocery store the other day and it is literally just that and I brought it home and made sheppard's pie. It was amazing. Take care

Best Answer
I basically just end up putting together a bunch of vegetables or fruits and turning that into a meal, but I'm definitely going to check out some of the links/cookbooks (Friday, when I'm done with finals, haha). Thanks for the resources!
Best Answer

nice resources shared here!

Might also suggest to check out meetup.com in your area for a local vegan/veg group.  Here in Colorado ours has lots of events, socials (going to vegan thanksgiving potluck NEVER disappoints!!)

Best Answer

Hi there everyone and fellow vegans.......I was fat and nearly dead myself. I took a train ride and read QUANTUM WELLNESS  by KATHY PRESTON and when I arrived at my destination I swore of meat. I started as a vegetarian and soon learned about dairy and became a vegan and then a raw vegan.....IT SAVED MY LIFE. Now I am just doing a vegan diet as raw became difficult for me in my situation. I do eat lots of salads and I incorporate one meal a day to smoothie or juice. so I will eat my lunch but for dinner I will do a smoothie or juice.  I usually find I am not hungry for dinner anymore so the juice or smoothies is just what I need to sustain me and my calorie intake as well as energy. I am happy to see all of you here as well and I just got the fitbit yesterday and love it so far.  

Thanks for he websites as there was one I had not heard of before.

HAPPY, LONG  AND HEALTHY LIFE EVERYONE!     

Best Answer

I love Oh She Glows -- made the sweet potato enhciladas and the glo bars this week.  Another one that is terrific is Thug Kitchen.  The writers have a goofy gimmick of swearing a lot -- as in "chop the **ahem** out of those brussel sprouts" -- but the recipes are very good.  They have a blog and a book coming in October.

Best Answer

Hi! I eat mostly raw/vegan too. About 80% raw. I just started using the fitbit yesterday. Pretty cool.

Best Answer

I know I'm SUPER late to this thread, but I just got my Fitbit today, so I'm trying to reach out. I've been veg*n off and on for years, but am renewing my commitment to a plant-based diet due to changes in my health recently, including my lactose intolerance flaring up like crazy. I'd love to connect with other plant-based/vegan folks for support and conversation!

Best Answer
I am so delighted to see a vegan community on here. I got a Fitbit for Christmas and am just now learning how to utilize some of its benefits. I have cheated quite a bit over the holiday with dairy at parties and desperately need to get back on track. I have noticed how poorly I feel and sleep when I consume sugar and dairy. Thanks for the links for recipes!
Best Answer

This thread is great! I'm writing down all the suggestions and all the books mentioned here!

I've been eating mostly vegan for a couple of years now, due to health reasons. I love that there are so many lovely vegan cookbooks out there now.

My current favorites are The Everyday Ayurveda Cookbook by Kate O'Donnell, Pure Vegan by Joseph Shuldiner, and At Home In The Whole Foods Kitchen by Amy Miller. I love the recipes, and the gorgeous photography in these books. Last night I made the baked ratatouille recipe from Pure Vegan, and it's delicious!

Massachusetts, USA.
Best Answer

I've been vegan for over 14 years, mostly because I stopped being able to digest meat after I turned 30 and also because of ethical issues. So I'm not the healthiest vegan. But I am trying. Some days are better than others.

Best Answer

Look into any of the "Thrive" books by Brendan Brazier. He's a vegan former Triathlete and also created the Vega line. Great functional, whole food recipies !

Best Answer

Hello all. First post although I have been using a fitbit for many years and have been transitioning to a WFPB diet for the last several years. Never felt better as long as I am sticking to the diet, which is not easy where I come from. Basically, I Just wanted to add that in addition to the web sites and documenteries listed, have also geaned enormous benefit from No Meat Athlete whic is run by a plant based based ultra runner. Instead of recipes, look for the "formulas" that allow yout to create a "recipe" from whatever you have on hand. This is very useful when you dont have a specific ingredient in your pantry and you happen to be like me and you have no idea how to substitute and what might work in the recipe. Also take a look ar Rich Roll, a truly inspiring ultra athlete that eats, trains and competes on a plant based diet. Lastly, take a look at Dr. Greger's web site nutritionfacts.org. He provides propbably the most authorative advice because he takes no money from idustry, helps to filter "studies" paid for by industry to find a particular result and all proceeds from his web site and books go back into his web site, which he provides as a "public service". At any rate, good luck with your journey.  

Fitbits: One, Blaze, Charge 4, Aria 2 Scale
Reasons to Fitbit: Kendra, Elizabeth, Katherine, Charlotte, Evelyn, and Susannah
Best Answer

Welcome to the Discussions everyone! It's amazing to read all of your stories, comments, suggestions and contributions. I wanted to let you know that I recently switched to a vegan lifestyle after my sister stated the facts of a more healthy eating and lifestyle overall. 

The most difficult for me is cooking beforehand and still having some free time. However I've noticed this makes the difference. And just like @DanielleinDC said, some days are better than others. 

However, what has been really saving my life is Pinterest with all its easy, delicious vegan recipes. Try it out and let me know where you find your vegan recipes so we can all share! Heart

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

I am whole food plant based, vegan with very little added oils.  My family, hubby and 5 children ranging in age from 24 to 11 are sorta kinda following along.  My favorite cookbook is Plant Pure Nation.  Every recipie has been terrific!  Choc chip cookies from Oh How She Glows are a family favorite for sure.  I have made the switch because of health benifits of pure food and I recommend the book How Not to Die, VERYYYY interesting reading!  Of course EVERY day is not a perfect day but I keep at it. 

Best Answer