Next generation Alta HR/Alta with altimeter (stair counter)

I own a Charge HR because I really wanted to track heart rate but I originally bought the One so that I could discretely track my steps. The Charge HR is anything but discrete and I really don't like big wearable tech, especially ones that shout "I TRACK MY STEPS". More importantly, I always wear an analog watch and wearing two watches is just dumb.

When the Charge 2 was released I was really looking forward to updating my Charge HR, but the display is massive and looks stupid on my small wrists. Then I was beyond excited to hear about the Alta HR. My boyfriend was just about to order it for me as a gift until I saw they don't track floors so I had to call him in a panic saying "DO NOT ORDER - No floors climbed = No deal"! Thanks but no thanks. Man Sad

I understand that there are size limitations for what features can be included but please can you create a sleek/slim tracker like the Alta HR and Charge 2 put together that we don't have to be embarrassed about wearing? (Yes, I've had multiple times when I've gone out and got the "are you actually going to wear that?" in reference to my Fitbit). Something with sleep tracking, floors climbed, interchangeable bands, and small. Text/call notifications would also be nice 🙂

Moderator edit: Labels and title for clarity

145 Comments
Tuliplady1234
Recovery Runner

I would like to see you add flights of stairs to the Alta. I returned my Alta once I realized it didn't count stairs. I love the fact that I could customize the band but I needed it to counts flights of stairs. Please upgrade this style with the added stair feature.

MissmitziL
First Steps

It would be great to have a sleeker fitbit with stair tracking capability. Or at least let the user have the capablility to manually log floors into the activity tracker. Challening my self to increase stairs during the day and during workouts keeps me motivated. Friendly floor competitions with my husband and other family members is fun too.

Moderator Edit: Updated title for clarity. 

Timmmj4
First Steps
Is the Alta suppose to have flights on it? If not, why? I don't have the icon like I did on my One and my Charge HR.
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
CindyFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey! I think that this is a great idea for a next generation Fitbit Alta. 

Thanks for stopping by! Woman Wink

pgibsonsb
First Steps

I think that's a great idea!  I would never buy a Fitbit that had no altimeter.  That is a crucial part of the my exercise program. 

Ket6
First Steps
I have a Flex; the only thing I'd change is to add an altimeter. I can't believe they made a fancy new model without one. My ideal device has interchangeable bands and counts both steps and floors - how is that so hard to make?
MissmitziL
First Steps
I agree. I think it would be a best seller!

Sent from Mitzi's iPhone
Sisatoto
First Steps
Can stairs be tracked in the future with the Alta? I didn't realize that this was not a feature when I purchased the device. The Alta was not cheap as I bought two, one for my daughter and another for myself. I didn't want to have to buy the Blaze or another model to track this.
The lack of this feature is such a shame.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It's not possible to have a altimeter on the current Alta as it's designed that way.

Feel free to add your vote / comment to the suggestion here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Next-Generation-Alta-with-altimeter/idi-p/1280718

Wishing a wonderful day 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This is a technical limitation, the Alta does not have an altimeter to track stairs.

Just as @SunsetRunner suggested, you might be interested in this feature request.

how do I vote?

I want to vote for an idea above but am unable to find a vote button anywhere on the page?

Mel

EJ30
First Steps
Would be amazing if you could get an altimeter into the sleek design of the Alta.
Fitto
First Steps
Used a charge previously and found the stair counting helpful.
LizzW
Jogger
I agree, the ability to log stairs, uphill is huge. Not sure why a new model would come out without that altimeter.
Claudiacst
Recovery Runner

Good day,

Requesting the Alta to include Charge HR features, floors and heart rate! Thank you!

If the heart rate cannot be added to the Altra, please add the floors. I use floors every day due to my back surgery and doctor suggested the fit bit for me, I bought the Fitbit Charge HR love it but broke and my husband's too. Mine lasted 1 year with a warranty that sports authority did not honor due to them being in bankruptcy. 

I would like the Alta to include the FLOORS and I would be happy. Thank you.

AlvaroFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Due to the fact that the Alta doesn't have an altimeter which is used to calculate the floors climbed (based on altitude change) this can't be implemented on this tracker.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi @Claudiacst

The Fitbit Alta doesnt has a heart rate monitor or altimeter for floor counts.

Feel free to add your vote & comment here for the next gen Alta:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Next-gen-Alta-includes-HR/idi-p/1175123

AlvaroFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Since the Alta doesn't have these sensors (HR and Altimeter for the floors) this won't be possible to do on the Alta tracker.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Hello. It would be great to be able to track th flights of stairs walked, like on the Fitbit charge.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

That be wonderful, the current Alta doesn't have a altimeter, it's unable to get this ability.

The next gen Alta however may get this ability. The suggestion for a altimeter on the next gen Alta has been previously made here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Next-Generation-Alta-with-altimeter/idi-p/1280718

Feel free to add your vote / comment to 'above suggestion' increase the chance of the developers integrating this functionality on the next Alta.

coollogo_com-18803402.jpg

AngelaMa
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This is a technical limitation, the Alta does not have an altimeter to track stairs.

Just as @Mystique suggested, you might be interested in this feature request.

AngelaMa
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

As @Mystique suggested, you might be interested in this feature request.

Bayanblue
Jogger

I agree, the alta would be my ideal fitbit if it just had an altimeter too. I really want one as I love the look and changeable bands, but can't quite bring myself to buy one lacking this feature.

Idzali
First Steps

Surprised to find out the Alta does not include an altimeter to track count of stairs/hills climbed. The name Alta resonates with Altitude so it seemed natural that this would be an included feature.  I would challenge the fitbit designers to think out-of-the-box -- the argument that the altimeter was not included in order to make the Alta slim and sleek is weak -- take a closer look at the size of the Alta's face length-wise .. it is quite wide and when you compare that to the Charge which has the altimeter, it doesn't add up.  I am sure the design team can come up with a creative way to fit the altimeter unit into the Alta.  

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.