3rd Party Apps on Sense 2 and Versa 4

Restore the ability to install 3rd party apps on the Versa 4 as was possible in previous versions of the watch.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and label.

708 Comments
asiayeah
Pace Setter
Sense 2 and Versa 4 currently don't support third-party apps and clock faces. Many popular applications are missing, such as Uber and Starbucks. Those are supported in Sense 1 and Versa 3.
BTNBear
First Steps

I have my new Sense 2 and can't believe I can't do half the stuff I used to be able to do my old watch. Apart from ECG it is a step back. Support give no details of when apps wil be available. Without details I will be returning my watch and going back to my old one.

Fatal23
Recovery Runner

VERY disappointed in my Versa 4. I assumed it would be an evolution of the Versa 3 and it's possibilities. But it's not. How should I have known it does not support 3th party apps? Please make this possible or I will return it. 

codewandler
First Steps

Received my Sense 2 yesterday. Will send it back next week. Being able to develop my own applications on the device was my main priority. I had a look at the SDK and it looked fantastic. Who could have known its not working. The sense btw has "developer bridge" menu, but you cannot enable it. Therefore I cannot connect the bridge with the SDK

anthfran
Jogger

There is no SDK available for developers with no release date. 

We have no details on the SDK, so it's impossible to gauge how much work it will be to upgrade apps to work with Versa4/Sense2. 

There is no guarantee that third-party developers will upgrade their apps to support these new devices. If they do upgrade, there is no guarantee on the timeline by which it will get completed. 

It definitely won't happen within the 45-day guarantee for your device. You are better off returning the device.

FromSun
Jogger

When can we expect more connected apps? I'm shocked to see no apps are available for the Sense 2 yet, you can't advertise it as a Smartwatch without any of the features. If we don't get any clarity on the expected I will return my device, unbelievable it's a downgrade compared to previous models.

azmtobey27
Jogger

I’ve been waiting for the Versa 4 in hopes it would have better exercise settings for paddle boarding. I’ve been told that this is coming but no plans to have 3rd party app?? My watch is much less functional in everyday life. Will this change and soon or do I need to return my new watch and put on my old one? Please let me know. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Hopcroft, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding 3rd party apps on Sense 2 and Versa 4. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Fatal23
Recovery Runner

@YojanaFitbit 

“….this suggestion about adding 3rd party apps on Sense 2 and Versa 4”.

Are you kidding me?

These new watches are part of your smartwatch line and the successors of the Versa 1-2-3 and the Sense.

Third party app support is one of the reasons why we buy these watches, instead of a simple fitness tracker.

Please put this "suggestion" on top of the list, asap. Thanks!

Dopovo
Pace Setter

@YojanaFitbit can you please clarify why you labeled the suggestion as not planned, locking for comments, while now you reopened it? I think the community deserves the transparency that Fitbit is nowadays is not giving.

kannika_kns
First Steps

Very disappointed on this new Sense 2. Why can't i use bitmoji on this device? it's the only reason i stay with Fitbit!!!

denmike2
Recovery Runner

Can someone from fitbit please explain what "Get notifications from your phone, download hundreds of apps, [...]" from your sales material means when there is no 3rd party app support?

How on earth was I supposed to know when preordering (or even now) that 3rd party apps were not possible on the Sense 2 when you write "DOWNLOAD HUNDREDS OF APPS"?

xcescax
First Steps

In order for the sense 2 to be more appealing to customers you need to have the music and call functions otherwise you will be getting a lot of complaints and refund requests it really can’t be that hard to add it in as you did for the first sense it seems you have really missed the mark with your audience here especially at the price point your marketing the sense 2 at. It’s not worth the money if these simple functions don’t work 

CalCrazy
First Steps

I was basically scammed into buying a $300 watch that was falsely advertised, is that what I'm seeing? Because @YojanaFitbit you seem to think asking for something that they claimed would be a feature of this thing is a suggestion which blowsy mind.

This is NOT a smartwatch. It's is nothing more than an overpriced health tracker and I am LIVID that your company is scamming us.

anthfran
Jogger

@CalCrazy hopefully you can return it. I just returned mine, couldn't deal with no third-party apps. 

Vaughn2
Jogger

3rd Party apps: after my Sense stopped working, I held out for a few months to purchase the Sense 2. I see that the Pixel Watch has all of the 3rd party apps that were on my original Sense,  like the Starbucks app, Spotify and Bitmoji  , but none of these apps are on the Sense 2. Make it make sense! What’s the solution for loyal Fitbit customers that buy the hardware (watches) and subscribe to Fitbit premium but have iPhones. Does Google not want this segment?  Are you driving those like me to the Apple Watch in order to get 3rd party app support? Not sure what the business logic is to make a watch dumber overtime when we all know that this wearable scene/market is a feature game.

DragonBit
Base Runner

Please allow the ability for the developer community to contribute to the Sense 2 and Versa 4.  The ability to develop my own apps and clockfaces is a big reason why I have been so loyal to Fitbit.

TalaraB
Jogger

I'm so disappointed in the Sense 2. I've had the charge 4 for years and I decided to save up to spend more and buy a fitbit "smart watch" this time. Realising the sense 2 doesn't have 3rd party apps as the sense 1 did is very upsetting. I feel like I have wasted my money, I don't understand why the sense 2 was so expensive when it isn't really a smart watch. I will definitely be returning it if 3rd party app availability is not announce in the next couple of weeks. Massive disappointment. 

AuntieKim
Base Runner
My request is that you allow for third party apps on Versa 4 so that established customers can continue to use features they feel they need and have become used to having on Fitbit. I consider a flashlight app, agenda app, and a news app in that category as well as safety oriented.
VanBoren
Jogger

I agree with all of these comments. I am massively disappointed in the Sense 2 and just returned mine today. It feels like Google is purposefully destroying the Versa/Sense product lines in favor of the Pixel which is not functional with iOS. I’d rather they just kill it outright instead of offering this latest overpriced downgrade; it’s a lie to call it a smartwatch anymore. I’ve been a Fitbit user for over 8 years with the One, Charge 2, Charge 4, Versa 3 and the Sense 2. I loved the ability to code my own watch face on the Versa 3, but the latest generation is a huge step backwards and a slap in the face to longtime users. I’m looking into the Garmin Connect IQ ecosystem now. 

JaneStone
First Steps

It was a very bad decision not to offer 3rd party apps like Spotify and the Starbucks card for the Versa 4. I'll likely return this watch and go back to using my Versa 2. Is there any chance that these apps will eventually become available through an update? 

Triciamck
Jogger

Desperately need the music control function back in Versa 4 - definitely a step back , other features are good however without this function I would have been better of switching to Apple 😡😡😡

Llesly
Recovery Runner

I'm really disappointed with my fitbit versa 4. It's NOT an upgrade from the 3 and I feel like I've wasted my money. There's no music facility and no 3rd party apps. I cant return it as ive opened the box and set it up. I feel like fitbit have really messed up and are not looking after their customers. I've had a fitbit since the Fitbit one which was many years ago n I hate the versa 4

AlBob75
Jogger

Llesly Jogger, did you buy your watch online? If so you may still be able to return it. In the UK we have the distance selling rule, which allows you to try something out and still return within a certain time period.

Also, the UK product page says that you can download 100's of apps (well it did a couple of days ago), so could potentially be classed as false advertising...

Llesly
Recovery Runner
Unfortunately I bought it from argos so can't return it. And yes, false
advertising? You're not kidding. I did a lot of research before buying the
versa 4 too. I bought the sense 2 for my husband but have just returned it
as it was for his birthday which isn't for a couple of weeks. He has a
heart problem so thought the sense 2 would be suitable but he likes his
music n there isn't any so I've bought him the original sense instead but
am wondering whether to get him the versa 3.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.