Adding A Voice Recorder To Smartwatches

When I looked at buying a smartwatch I looked for 2 thing;

- A microphone

-A way for me to create my own apps

Both of the features are on the Versa 2 however they do not work in conjunction. I really need a smartwatch that would be able to record audio. This should be easy since the Fitbit versa 2 already has a microphone built in, and it would only require some software editing. I have read multiple pages in the community blogs that have been asking if any of the Fitbit series has the audio or video recording feature. I understand that video does not make sense because of storage, and the size and quality of the camera that would need to be incorporated. I would love if the Versa 2 would be able to use the features it already has. Also I would love it if the voice recording feature would be available in the sdk if that is not too much to ask.

Moderator edit: Labels and subject.

23 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @TheLLamaKing, and thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about having an audio recorder on Versa 2! We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If your suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates! In the meantime, try visiting our Lifestyle Discussion Forum to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

TheLLamaKing
First Steps

Thanks Yojana for the fast reply. How do I get people to see my suggestion and get votes.

TheLLamaKing
First Steps

Any suggestions @YojanaFitbit?

WiserOne
Base Runner

Fitbit is not giving access to the microphone to developers. Don’t know why the mod is saying it will be considered, the access to the mic doesn’t exist at all for a non-Fitbit developer to use. 

WavyDavey
10K Racer

I believe the status is just saying this idea has been acknowledged by a moderator (not sure where that would put it in any process). I agree that if there were to be a voice recorder app, it would have to be developed by Fitbit itself, not by 3rd party devs.

TheLLamaKing
First Steps

Thanks @WavyDavey  and @WiserOne but why wouldn’t Fitbit add it into the sdk. Also I can make do without the voice recorder in the sdk but I would really love it if Fitbit does a voice recorder app.

WavyDavey
10K Racer

I can't speak for Fitbit. But if I had a similar product, let's called it DaveyBit, I wouldn't allow the SDK to access the microphone. It could create privacy issues, in my opinion. However, that is the requirement you stated in your suggestion, so that will stand as it is.

TheLLamaKing
First Steps

@WavyDavey I 100% agree with you about that. However, with Alexa on the Versa 2 I already have some privacy concerns. If Fitbit were to add it, I am sure they could add a microphone on or off for third party apps. I am sorry if I said that it was a requirement. I actually meant that it would be a nice have. I really want a way to record my voice such as the voice memos app on Apple phones.

OnlyLetters
Recovery Runner

This would be such an incredibly useful feature that seems very easy to allow in SDK, at a bare minimum.

TheLLamaKing
First Steps

@OnlyLetters I totally agree. I also checked the Versa 2 settings and apparently there is a way to turn off the microphone. Since there is a way to turn off the microphone altogether, then there is no reason to be concerned about the privacy topic @WavyDaveymentioned. The microphone in the SDK would be less of a mandatory for the user and more as an optional item for the user.

so i would like a voice recorder on the versa 2 it has the hardware but not the software i would also like the recordings to be replayable from the fitbit app i this is possible please do it also make the microphone be accessible to the SDK users

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @spencer_scelfo! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

thank you!

eph429prv31goal
First Steps

What everyone has said!

Plus: uploading to cloud storage (such as Google Drive) as well as SD card options, including free to use, no in-app purchases or limits of recording time (aside from storage limits of device, SD card, and/or cloud.

Oh and the ability to email the files from the App.

Transcription would be great too.

This has so many potential uses like for Domestic Violence to academia lectures and church! 

Ne0nWinds
First Steps

I'd really love for it to be added to the SDK. I'd want to make a guitar tuner app.

krish_sm
Jogger

This feature will be very useful. 

kerrylpn
First Steps

it needs to happen. This could be a HUGE thing to help domestic violence victims as well as anyone who needs to record memos, etc. If not on the fitbit, then perhaps a button on your fitbit to turn on voice recording to your phone without someone noticing..in the case of an emergent situation.

eph429prv31goal
First Steps
Precisely why I want it...
kerrylpn
First Steps
So how do we get fitbit to acknowledge our request?

Sent from my Sprint Phone.
eph429prv31goal
First Steps
Keep talking about it? Kinda like Facebook algorithms?
I'm not really certain...
Status changed to: Not currently planned
JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

STARCHILD929
First Steps
a very simple app, press record to record an audio
if storage is an issue, I'm more than willing to pay for cloud storage and I'm sure many people are too
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @STARCHILD929, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding an audio recorder on Fitbit devices. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. 

Click on the thumbs-up to show your support. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.