Allow Offline syncing / Store data locally

I think you should be able to sync with your phone and then upload data at a later date. Let us store data locally so that an internet connection is not required to see current stats.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

646 Comments
dbvirago
Base Runner

Wow. I sent the same suggestion to Fitbit and they told me to post it here as if they haven't heard of it before, rather than having a 6 month old thread with 200+ comments. I am in the same boat and need it to be able to sync without Internet. From a technical perspective, there is no reason it shouldn't be able to do that. I would assume that during a sync, the device looks for the fitbit, connect to it via Bluetooth, grabs the data and then sends it to the cloud. It would be fairly trivial to write the data to the device and store it there, then send it to the cloud when and if there is an Internet connection. Also agree with others re the alarms not syncing. 

I will be doing a lot of traveling without regular or reliable Internet. If Fitbit can't fix this, I will have to find another solution. 

Kjnorway
Jogger
Please have an option to only stored data locally and have access to a local dashboard. I agree completely with not wanting to have this type of personal information anywhere on the web. I purchased this because the advertisements said "sync to your phone or PC". I assumed that the data would be on my phone or PC since that is what "syncing to" implies, it should have said "sync to the cloud via you phone or internet enabled device." I work with the cloud daily at work, but all of these vendors have been vetted and have insurance (rather than just assured) for safety. Assuring us that our data is safe is the same thing stores like Target and Home Depot did before they got hacked. I agree with KK26, "all I want is to maintain my information on my own PC or phone". Philj is also right about this being "my data". If I had known that the device synced to the cloud rather than my phone or computer I would not have bought this expensive watch. I don't care about sharing my data with friends via Facebook, Twitter or other social media. The analytical engine at Fitbit.com can't be that complicated to write, I've done plenty of that type of software over the years as a banking and investment software engineer.
Yorrd
Jogger
Okay. This is ridiculous. I'm thinking about selling my flex again. There is no "con argument" other than that fitbit wants live data. The devices store 7 days of data, why can't the phone? It's not even a matter of the computer and phone synching the data twice then,because it is time-stamped anyways.I'm pretty frustrated with this design.you're deliberately preventing me from effectively using the flex when I cannot share the data with your servers. I understand you want that data (I'm sure there's a clause for you to be legally able to do that in the user agreement and privacy policy), but at least give me the chance to buffer the data when I'm on holidays. I can't even see my steps on the flex so I have to wait for at least a week instead of having instant feedback as promised. Please, make an effort to address this, this is one of the most requested features on your forum. I don't know what kind of statement it needs to convince you if not that.
radarfxst
First Steps

Offline syncing is almost a must for me; so much so that as much as I like my Charge HR, I'm not sure I can keep it.  Off duty, I have no wifi while camping, hiking, on photography trips, etc.  I have no wifi access at work for security reasons.  Military employees regularly go without wifi for extended periods of time (think ships, Iraq, etc.).

I truly like my Fitbit Charge HR, and the alarm wakes me up without waking my wife or roomate up which is awesome.  But I can't rely on the alarm since I can only set it when my tablet has a wifi connection.  Think about that; you can only set the alarm when you have wifi.  Whoever came up with that idea should be docked a few dollars.

Please - make offline syncing available!

Tom Sheputa

Kr8tivemind
Jogger
I would like to own my own data instead of Fitbit using my stats for God knows what. The information collected on my Fitbit should be used for what I want with whatever app or program I want. These are MY stats on MY watch no reason Fitbit should have GOD power over the info it collects on ME.
Blakspire
First Steps
As a member of the Armed Forces, I use my Charge HR regularly to monitor multiple facets of training. When I deploy, however, I am without internet service for months at a time. An offline sync option will be required for me to maintain brand loyalty, as without it, I will be forced to consider other options. Reading forums here, and elsewhere shows that one of the largest complaints with fitbit is the inability to use it without an internet connection.
kevtoon
Recovery Runner

I have the same issue, I think this has already been suggested and the moderators have said it is being looked into! I hope for some new features in the new year!!!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

For me it's the pain of forcing multiple sync's to change the time when traveling, and if it does not have network connectivity, you cannot change the time, and you cannot disable/enable/change alarms.

This needs to work offline, and if it (iOS/whatever) app senses a timezone change, it should immediately ask to change/sync the TZ/time, and not require multiple syncs.

A full offline sync would also be really useful.  My last trip, I was without network access for ~ 5days, and I was seriously thinking about not traveling with the FitBit again.

mbrett
Tempo Runner

I would like to be able to sync data from my tracker to my phone even if I have no access to the Fitbit Service (no mobile network and no WiFi). The data could be cached on the phone until it is able to connected to the Fitbit Service again.

This is something that has been done on other apps for years and enables data to be kept even if you are away from a data connection when you need to sync your data from your tracker.

ErikC
Jogger

I'm generaly not happy with the Fitbit Charge HR :

- no silent alarm sync in airplane (=no wifi)

- no biking option

which means 

- still have to use my iphone in my pocket as alarm

- still need runkeeper (or other program) for bike logging

it seems that these questions are here for a long time and that nothing is changing,

so I think I will use my "1 week return policy" and search another tracker. 3 days to go 😞

Rogeranderson
First Steps
Please allow the option to sync offline as I would like to set alarms.. And not all places have Internet connection.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I'm going on a hiking trip and will be out of network range for two weeks. I'd like the option of storing the data from the Fitbit to the phone until it's back online, to extend the amount of data that can be store between sync's.

Bob321
Stepping Up

I was so surprised to find out this wasn't already the case!  The world is full of places with no connections.  Trekking in Nepal, or trips to Mongolia can be several weeks away from any mobile or data network, and I'm sure others know of similar places.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This feature could have a big potential impact for users who track their workouts in areas where internet isn't easily accessible, especially during a long hike or run.

Thanks for posting on the Feature Request Board!

ErikC
Jogger

for me the Fitbit website is misleading :

https://www.fitbit.com/be/chargehr

"Syncing

Charge HR syncs automatically and wirelessly to tablets, computers and 150+ leading iOS, Android and Windows smartphones using Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology."

----

then in the following text :

"Syncing to mobile devices requires Bluetooth and Internet connection"

linq
Jogger

when you are traveling between home and work you always have a possibility to charge and sync the device so most battery draining process can be enabled and it is always enough space for maximum data

but sometimes you can find yourself traveling for many days and never know when you will have a possibility to charge and sync it.

So then it would be preferably to have some kind of an offline mode that can reduce battery draining and memory usage.

online mode on the other hand could be more active, by measuring time between syncronizations and chargings, giving a possibility to have more accurate mesurements and gathering more data.

Swilko104
First Steps
This is a MUST! I work in the private sector where i can sometimes be without internet for 1-2 months! That means because of this 'cloud' only. I cant even change the time format while travelling, store my training data or even set an alarm!!! This is a very basic thing!! This product is now pretty much usless to me now. And its very poor marketlng because now there are thousands of others that wont purchase this product because they would have the same problems as me. I am severely dissatisfied that it wasn't clearly stated "internet is a must" before I purchased, otherwise i wouldnt of bothered. Also, we need more clock face designs. Just 4?
D2.
Jogger

Great watch, with some great concepts. BUT, the inability to sync without internet is a MAJOR flaw. Whether in be in a plane, hiking, running/riding in remote areas, internet is almost always unavailable. Sometimes one needs to set alarms, change time zones etc. Please allow the local storage of data but have the ability to sync other features using bluetooth only

Mashers
Recovery Runner

I really agree with this. It's great having the data stored on your servers(or where ever you store it) but I would really like to have it locally so that I have access 24/7 even when I have no internet or phone (I regularly  have to go to places for periods where this is the case).

As others have suggested, we could have local software on our laptops/phones, and also the ability to sync that data with your system when we have access to it (and when we require to do so).

One real problem for us would be if you guys went out of business ! then we'd have no access to our data, devices that were comppletely useless to us.

Local storage is really cheap these days, so large amounts of data isn't a problem, and we can all back up our data locally too, so no downside!

Jsantiago25
First Steps

this option would be a lot more useful for those service members who are on a deployment who dont have the luxury of internet access to update and sync any data and/or time zones. it would make the lives of those who own a fitbit much easier. but thats just my opinion.

Waynemcm38
First Steps
Need to be able to sync with phone without the need for internet connection. There are many places in the world where you cannot get phone service. Not all users live and or workout in a city.
tjswift
First Steps

I think it's very short-sighted of FitBit to assume that people will always have internet access. I'm OK with "cloud" storage, but I would REALLY like to have a local database on my laptop, and be able to sync and see my recent activity.

Maiholz
First Steps

Finally figuring this all out and I am really quite shocked that the fitbit company would take an assumption that you store everything in the cloud (without an option to disable this!) so far as to not being able to sync your fitbit to your phone without internet connection.  Instead of a two stage process (fitbit->phone, phone->cloud) the phone merely acts as a router/gatway to the cloud.  But that's the deal you make these days with tech.  What they do with your data, if your weight/bpm etc... gets exposed on the internet some day etc... hey don't worry about it.

jlt12
First Steps

I'm in the military and not being able to change the time while offline renders my HR useless! While deployed I will be offline for the majority of that time, because being online is a huge security risk. When the word gets out of this MAJOR FLAW, you will lose a big market, the military. I received my HR as a gift, but if I had the choice I would not have purchased it for this reason. Hopefully, this will change in the future, until then I will not be recommending Fitbit.

joelmanuelq
Recovery Runner
I think that is a problem that we can't sync offline because I bought a fitbit charge HR that for me is very nice device but is a problem to see your progress without Internet and some people don't have connection all the time or the connection is limited please doing something about this thanks
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.