Allow third-parties to access live heart rate data (so Fitbits can act as HR monitors)

Since the Surge and Charge HR can already connect via bluetooth to phones it would be great if you could allow third-parties to access live heart rate data directly from the device.  

This would allow apps like Strava, Runkeeper, MapMyRun and others to use the Surge and Charge HR as heart rate monitors.  

Moderator edit: added label

212 Comments
BartVdNeste
Jogger

Agree, for all fitbit models

matv
First Steps

Just received my Alta HR and not being able to sync heart rate data to Runkeeper is a huge disapointment..

Fortunately in Europe we can return online purchased within 14 days at not cost 🙂

Joeflyer59
First Steps

Agreed!  The whole reason I bought the  Alta HR (upgrading from my Alta) was so I could ditch my chest strap monitor which fed into Runkeeper fine.

Flies88
First Steps

its almost weird that this isn't possible yet... please make it available for all Fitbit models! 

BryBub
Strider

Anything yet?

mbaizman
First Steps

I am super surprised this isn't possible today - I should have done more research, as I have a new Alta HR which I was expecting to live feed HR data to Runkeeper. Oh well...

Lanaki
Stepping Up

Please let us sync between Fitbit and MMF. My friends who don't have Fitbit can not see any of my activities and I really don't want to run two apps. Can't afford the battery drain. One friend gave up her Fitbit Charge HR and I got mine because of her. Don't want to have to give it up too. But really want MMF to have my records.

(Do like that you share with Strava for my other friends.)

Terririck
Stepping Up

I use my fit bit surge for all of my activities. I would also  like for the heart rate monitor to communicate with my Bryton bicycle computer and my other workout apps so that I can relate my heart rate with my work out. I'm not sure how to cast a vote for this to be done. 

Thank you for allowing me to post this. 

Foolosopher
First Steps

Just got my Charge 2 today and then found out it doesn't sync all info with Apple Health. Not even via 3party apps like Runkeeper en MyFitnessPal. A real disappointment. Please make it happen! Sync heartrate!

Joeflyer59
First Steps
Bummer, right? I wound up buying a thirdparty app on the App Store called "sync solver". It cost a couple bucks, but it moves my Fitbit data over to Apple Health.

Just FYI in case you get frustrated and decide to find a workaround like I had to. 🙂
Marbas
Recovery Runner

Hi

it is a real need for me to use my charge2 as the hearbeat monitor together with other apps as e.g. runkeeper.

please make this possible.

thanks!!!!

MichInTexas
First Steps

I don't want to give up my Fitbit Charge 2, but I do want to be able to see my heart rate stats in MapMyRun. So please allow this data to be transferred across. I don't fully see the point of syncing FB with MMR - nothing else seems to be in sync anyway.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Still nothing with the new bands either? Shame..

Mjbeaty
Jogger
Yes, please give us that ability! It's the future and the future is here! It is bound to sell a few on a watch! 
MilanSch
First Steps

Is this in development yet?

JoeNo
First Steps

Yes please.  Fitbit engineers, please enhance your wonderful product time, mine is a Charge 2, to allow HR to be captured by RunKeeper and other other 3rd party apps.   Here in Canada, we only get warmer weather a few months of the year, so folks take full advantage of the outdoors....jogging is my thing, and I track my progress, and have made great running friends over the years with Runkeeper. 

Please make me love my Charge 2 even more.

Thanks!

EmmaCarlingford
First Steps

Yes please to heart rate connection to runkeeper &/ or mapmyrun

brad79
First Steps

This would be less of an issue if the fitbit app could actually record GPS activities appropriately.  1)  It loses connection to the FitBit constantly, 2) It stops tracking on the app when it loses the connection.  Having heart rate available to other apps would help alleviate these issues.  It seems like a no brainer.

taylorgtr
First Steps

There's got to be a design change to fix the Surge strap problem - I'm on my 2nd one, and just short of switching to Garmin.

vanhoob
Jogger

Fitbit, please action! 

mrlukeplease
First Steps

Attention Charge 2 PLM, you're not listening to your customers. The people who've responded to this thread are a small but vocal slice of your loyal customer base, people who went out of their way to find this forum and take the time to provide feedback. But in two years there has been none. For every 1 of us there are probably 100 who have not joined this community but feel the same way about adding this functionality.

Please escalate this feature development to Active!

vanhoob
Jogger
Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to say as well.
DStapler
First Steps

I would like to have the HR sync with Runkeeper.  Save me from having to use multiple devices.

RockySch
Jogger

Basically I am so disappointed in my Fitbit charge.  It is not a real time sports piece of equipment at all.  More of a after the fact " how many steps did you take today" and how "many hamburgers did I eat" tracker.  Why even call it a HR monitor of there are no real time display apps for heart rate while exercising.  Simply not on.

Depending on the answer to this query mine will be returned as useless and I'll revert back to the trusty Garmin for my cycling.

And yes I'm grumpy over this issue.  Could be such a nice piece of equipment if it had sports people in the design team.

Rocky

CharmaineM
First Steps

I absolutely would love to see a better integration of MMF with Fitbit. I am constantly dealing with double entries on my Fitbit app because I log my workouts on MMF as I am in challenges with friends on there. I just came to the forum to figure out how to fix it and was so disappointed to see there is no way to! I don't see how you can say they are connected when such limited info is transferred. I would love to be able to just use my Fitbit which records my heart rate and have it update MMF. Fingers crossed for an update soon!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.