Brick (or deactivate) a lost device

I lost my Fitbit at the airport in Toronto. I know there is no way I am ever getting it back. I would like the ability to brick a lost device so no one is incentivized to keep a lost or stolen Fitbit.

Moderator Edit: Labels

108 Comments
Wallaby87
First Steps

I think there should be an option to block fitbits, I had the Fitbit charge. Strap was constantly coming undone I normally noticed it before it fell off though... this time I didn't makes me feel sick to think some one else maybe using my watch 😞

JohnJK2012
Jogger

I had a very similar experience to Wallaby87. My strap came undone at a concert and I was able to see someone was walking around with it as it would sync. Even tracked them down to a merchandise line at the end of the show. My sister texted and called, meaning the individual was alerted via BT notifications. They choose to steal the Fitbit and Fitbit essentially allows this by not pairing the serial number to your account and allowing people to lock stolen devices. This is a major flaw and will make me less likely to recommend this product to others.

JohnJK2012
Jogger

Totally agree with above. My strap came undone at a concert and I was able to see someone was walking around with it as it would sync. Even tracked them down to a merchandise line at the end of the show. My sister texted and called, meaning the individual was alerted via BT notifications. They choose to steal the Fitbit and Fitbit essentially allows this by not pairing the serial number to your account and allowing people to lock stolen devices. This is a major flaw and will make me less likely to recommend this product to others.

JohnJK2012
Jogger

Agreed with Odhaimbo. My strap came undone at a concert and I was able to see someone was walking around with it as it would sync. Even tracked them down to a merchandise line at the end of the show. My sister texted and called, meaning the individual was alerted via BT notifications. They choose to steal the Fitbit and Fitbit essentially allows this by not pairing the serial number to your account and allowing people to lock stolen devices.

Fitbit should implement:

1) Find my Fitbit - vibration feature with text message.

2) Report missing or stolen - lock the Fitbit preventing others from registering it.

This is a major flaw and will make me less likely to recommend this product to others.

tedhowell
Base Runner

Sorry you had to go through the same frustration I did. I am amazed that Fitbit as a company does not have an intelligent response to this situation after so many years of customers complaining. Fitbit moderators & customer support are frustratingly convinced that making any change to the current policy is either not needed or not technically possible. I even called Fitbit one day and told the CS person "I just stole a Fitbit and would like to set it up so I can use it. Can you help me with that?" "Sure, I can help you", they said. "Really? Did you hear what I just said? I said I stole it and you can help me?" "Yes sir, I can help you set it up."  Try it yourself. That kinda closes the door on Fitbit for me.

When I bought my Apple Watch I told the salesperson the story of how my girlfriend lost her Fitbit and when she contacted Fitbit they simply told her that someone else has registered her device to their account and they could not help her. The Apple store guy's mouth dropped open. Fitbit devices are clearly a poor investment. The Apple Watch costs more but is a superior product in every way, including being able to find it when lost. You will like it. 🙂  

RegionalGirl
Recovery Runner

I totally agree with this. I lost my Alta yesterday due to yet ANOTHER faulty band that won't stay clipped. It's popped off quite a bit around the house but if its in the house, I can usually locate it with little issue and there's not a problem. Yesterday however, I managed to lose it while I was in town and I know it's probably not going to be found/returned. It would amaze me if someone did actually return it. I've posted on my Facebook that im offering a reward for anyone who finds it. Fact is, these things fetch some money at the local pawn shop and people will sell stuff like that for drug money or anything.

There absolutely SHOULD be some sort of a deactivation or lock feature attached to individual user accounts so that these expensive little things can be killed once they are lost to deter people from keeping something that isn't theirs. Additionally, it would be nice if there was a tracking feature that could be activated if someone did try to sync it. There is absolutely no reason that Fitbit should NOT tell someone who has legitimately purchased their product and reported it lost or stolen who has it and its approximate location.

Pissedoffuser
First Steps

Wmy fitbit flex 2 was stolen last night. I think when this type of thing happens, the owner of said fit bit should be able to have their fitbit tracker locked so that anyone else trying to use it can not use it. ......

There should also be a way to have a gps tracker to track down where your fitbit has vanished too.

You would think that for how much these things cost that you guys would already have these things covered

tedhowell
Base Runner

I have posted dozens of posts in dozens of discussions on this topic. I spent hours talking to various Fitbit customer support agents and realized that Fitbit has no intention to offer any protection to users to prevent someone from finding/stealing your device and activating it as their own. Many people have had the same experience and unpleasant realization. Personally I find this outrageous! Some of their customer service people will try to say it is technically not possible to shut down the device or offer a tracking feature, a ludicrous claim. I'm afraid the only solution is to purchase a competitor's product. Personally I am delighted with my Apple Watch. It is much better made and offers the "Find My Watch" option. I support all actions to boycott Fitbit products and choose another product due to their lack of effort to address this area of concern. I advise anyone considering purchasing a Fitbit that it is a terrible investment because when it is lost or stolen one has no way to recover it. Please advise everyone you know not purchase Fitbit products until Fitbit changes their position on this issue.

odhiambo
Recovery Runner

This is very sad, especially because Fitbit have the thief's e-mail
address, but they wouldn't do a thing. Fitbit DOESN'T CARE about those who
use their products!! That's my conclusion.

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

heimdal
Jogger

I can see that Fitbit is not interested in considering a large number of suggestions on this. I simply could not justify spending money on another Fitbit, after suffering the same issue. So I bought a Garmin watch and love it. Will never buy another Fitbit and have talked many others into buying something else. 

tedhowell
Base Runner

Hello heimdal,

Sorry you had to find this out first hand about Fitbit. It is a very poor investment. I'm glad you picked another product, the Garmin Watch. I'm not familiar with it but I hope it works well for you. The important thing is that you stopped "throwing good money after bad" by moving away from Fitbit. I chose the Apple Watch and am loving it. While more expensive, is a far superior device with the ability to locate, lock, wipe, etc. It has better features and is made much better than Fitbit devices. To all who stumble on this thread, you likely got here after suffering a loss. Add your complaints to keep this thread going. Hopefully a new user who has suffered the loss of their Fitbit will stop here and buy another device instead of falling for Fitbit's unfortunate offer of a "discount" on a replacement Fitbit.

Please actively tell anyone you know not to purchase Fitbit. I am now seriously considering stopping strangers that I see with a Fitbit to tell them our story. Having this thread still active is useful for directing people to see how long Fitbit users have been commenting on this issue and that clearly Fitbit has no intention of improving their product. I'm not sure why that is.

I initially bought a Fitbit when they were a new and responsive company with an office in SF that I visited. They seemed to be a well intentioned company with great customer service. Somehow they evolved in to a company with customer service centers located off-shore who follow maddening service scripts with no true concern for the user. They have mastered having "moderators" who are perky and mindless, sounding supportive and concerned. Money is being made, people are getting paid well, and apparently no one with the authority to make any impactful changes cares to do so, happy with the money they make. The only way Fitbit will change is if they begin to experience meaningful monetary loss due to the lack of any protection against loss. Unfortunately this is unlikely. Meanwhile I will continue to comment so at least a few others won't fall for purchasing a Fitbit. To anyone reading this far - please go off and enjoy your new "anything other than a Fitbit" device!

odhiambo
Recovery Runner

I actually think we should run this campaign against Fitbit on Twitter and
every Social Media platform!

I have two Fitbits and I wouldn't want to know that someone who has my
device illegally is using it while the vendor is sitting easy, providing
them with the platform!

RunStephRun
Jogger

I came here to request the same feature.  My Fitbit device was recently stolen, and it irritates me that the thief only has to bother finding a charger to use MY device.  Since it's linked to my account, I am scratching my head about why it can't be reported as stolen and then prevented from being linked to the thief's account.  Guess what, FItbit: I'd still have to buy a new one if you disabled the one that was stolen.  I'm not asking you to locate my missing device, but to disrupt the thief's ability to set it up with a new account. 

tedhowell
Base Runner

Hello RunStephRun,

Of course you are correct. Unfortunately this discussion was started in 2014 and has a lot of similar suggestions. Clearly Fitbit has no intention of addressing this issue.

Curiously on another thread, Re: Track Lost Device, I posted that the only real solution is to NOT PURCHASE FITBIT and BUY A COMPETITOR'S DEVICE. My post has been marked as the Accepted Solution and the thread remains on this discussion board. Fitbit is not paying enough attention to this discussion area to even realize that the accepted solution to this issue with Fitbit is to buy another device instead. 

Warning people not to purchase Fitbit is about the only other thing we can do.

BTW, I am very impressed with my Apple Watch.

odhiambo
Recovery Runner

How about starting a social media campaign, with a hashtag? Will that stir
Fitbit into action, maybe??

RunStephRun
Jogger

tedhowell,

I have seen many of your posts and comments here; t's shameful that Fitbit is continuing to fail at heeding the concerns of its customers.  The Apple watch is at the top of my list for a Fitbit replacement 😉

RunStephRun

AllCdnBoy
Jogger

At the very least, devices should be locked to an account and can't be removed without verification.  It should not be so simple to just move a device to a new account without the previous owners permission.  There are all sorts of tools for phones to locate devices, this seems like a really simple addition to be able to track a lost device.

tedhowell
Base Runner

Hello  AllCdnBoy,

Seems so simple yet look at how old this string is and all the others like it. It's a shame you did not know about this before you purchased a Fitbit. The company apparently has no intention of changing this situation. We are left to wonder what the motivation is to have such a serious flaw in the product. Only if there is a seriously negative impact on sales will they change & I doubt that will happen. Meanwhile, one by one, the users who stumble on to this post will accept the correct solution: purchase a competitor's product and move on. 🙂

mliftsnskates
First Steps

Basically, same thing happened to me as everyone else in this thread. Dropped it, someone picked it up, within 24 hours of me calling FitBit to ask if they could track or brick it, someone else had connected it to their account. I was told that they know who has the FitBit but they can't do anything about it as per policy. 

Asked FitBit's customer service if they had any plans to fix this feature (I mean, an outside call center isn't going to know that but I wanted to see what they said) and basically I was told that "Higher ups review every case's notes so my concerns will be read and passed along). HAH. 

I like what was said earlier in the thread about voting with our steps on other devices. I'm not gonna put any more money into FitBit until I see their policies change regarding this specific issue, but also until I see them take consumer requests & frustrations into account.

tedhowell
Base Runner

Hello  mliftsnskates,

I very much enjoy my Apple Watch. The band is extremely secure. It can lock automatically, can be located on map, made to play a sound, put in lost mode, and remotely wiped.

I stay on these Fitbit discussions to keep them active so other users who have experiences like you and I have had may stumble on to these discussions. Our best advice to those folks is to not accept the offer from Fitbit for a discount on a replacement but to look for another product. Also to tell friends and relatives not to purchase Fitbit products. It took me a long time to get over the anger and frustration I had with Fitbit when I first learned that they make no effort to help users protect their investment in the product and, in my opinion, are actually aiding the thieves and thus promoting theft. The sooner one realizes that Fitbit is not going to change and moves on, the better.

I hope you enjoy your next purchase as much as I have mine.

AllCdnBoy
Jogger

The Apple watch is not exactly in the same category.  It's a Smart Watch, not a Fitness tracker with a much, much heftier price tag.  I'm not a huge fan of their iPhone line, since they seem to be trailing the pack in a lot of categories that definitely doesn't warrant their price.  However, their watch does seem to live up to the hype. 

I wonder if Fitbit's new Ionic has anything like this.  I don't know anyone that has one.   

But, I agree. Until Fitbit gets on-board with customer concerns (that date back years now), I won't even think about getting an Ionic.  I'll probably look at Gear or something along those lines.

odhiambo
Recovery Runner

I raised this issue with Fitbit Sales agent (Ralph) online today. Below is
the transcript:

Ralph:Hi Washington, my name is Ralph with the Fitbit Sales Center. How can
I help you?
Me:Hi Ralph
Me:Does Fitbit listen to its customers??
Ralph:Hello Washington , how can I assist you today?
Me:Hi, I have asked IF fitbit as a company listens to feedback from
customers
Ralph:Absolutely Washington.
Ralph:We're always working on improving our products and services.
Me:This is what i HIGHLY doubt
Me:fitbit is a rigid company that doesn't care about the concerns of its
customers!
Ralph:I'm sorry for the confusion, are you encountering any issues with
your Fitbit?
Me:We have a BIG issue with fitbit as a company, not just with the
products...
Ralph:We're always working to help our customers drive better health and
fitness outcomes with our products.
Me:If fitbit listens, then can you tell me what the company is doing about
the following discussion:
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Brick-or-deactivate-a-lost-device/idc-p/2514982#...
Ralph:May I ask what seems to be the issue?
Me:This is the issue:
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Brick-or-deactivate-a-lost-device/idc-p/2514982#...
Me:It's getting to a point where we're going to be forced to start a social
media campaign on this matter..
Ralph:I can assure you that Fitbit does their best to read every community
post but are unable to comment on them all because of the sheer scale and
discussion within the community.
Me:Will fitbit comment when the issue is taken to Social Media then?
Ralph:Being with the Sales team, we have limited information about the
processes in the community page, but you can find more information here:
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-Community-Basics/Feature-Suggestion
Ralph:Also, I can also create a case for you, and forward it to our special
team who can assist you with this further, is that alright?
Me:We, the customers, want this issue addressed by the Technical Team. It
is such a simple thing to implement.
Me:So, YES, open a case for me with the Technical/R&D/Policy/Legal
Teams. I want to follow this up.
Ralph:Please know that all Feature Suggestions are considered and need to
be weighed against multiple decisions and company priorities, which you can
learn more about in the link I previously sent.
Ralph:Please allow me 1-2 minutes to create a case for you.
Me:I own 2 gadgets and I will not be happy to just let any of them go just
like that, because fitbit are not willing to act on user feedback!
Ralph:I understand your concern, and I'll make sure to get you in the
right direction to get this addressed.
Ralph:I've already created a case for you, and your case number is XXX.
Ralph:Someone from our dedicated team will be reaching out to you shortly.
Ralph:We hope you understand that we take community opinions incredibly
seriously, and that your ideas truly are a source of abundant and fruitful
internal discussions around how we advance our product and service
offerings.
Ralph:Is there anything else I can do for you today?
Me:How will the person reach out to me? By e-mail?
Ralph:Yes, that's correct.
Me:I don't see any mail related to the ticket as yet. When will I get it?
Ralph:We don't have a specific time frame about this, but I can assure you
that someone will be reaching out to you within 24 to 48 hours.
Me:Doesn't your Case Handling System generate tickets via e-mail?
Me:Anyways, I will wait for the person to contact me...
Ralph:Once our team has reviewed your case, they'll send you a response as
soon as they're able.
Ralph:Do you have any additional questions for me, Washington?
Me:None.
Me:Bye

tedhowell
Base Runner

Hello  

I just wanted to comment on the post that said "The Apple watch is not exactly in the same category.  It's a Smart Watch, not a Fitness tracker ......."

Yes, the Apple Watch is a smart watch. My experience with the Apple Watch so far is that it is also a fitness tracker. It tracks everything that Fitbit does and more. My Apple Watch band has never come undone accidentally. As I said before, it locks automatically, can be located on a map, made to play a sound, put in lost mode, and remotely wiped. The investment is fully backed up by the safeguards that Fitbit refuses to add.

Plus you can make phone calls on it! It is a safety device. I was talking to someone whose disabled aunt refused to wear the emergency alert button (with a paid subscription service to monitor & respond) they got her. Then they got her an Apple Watch. Not long after that she fell, could not get up, and could not reach her phone. She used her watch to call for help. You can call 911 on it and set it up to automatically notify your family and key contacts of your location and that you have called 911. That feature is worth a lot.

The Apple Watch reminds me to stand or even to stop for a few minutes to relax and practice moments of mindfulness. It counts steps, tracks workouts such as walking or running, counts flights of stairs, etc. There are add on apps such as ones that track and analyze sleep. 

Yes, it is more expensive. Lose your Fitbit once and then find out Fitbit won't help you and that you will need to purchase a replacement, well, then you might as well buy the Apple Watch for the money wasted so far on Fitbit. It is far superior to the Fitbit in terms of features, benefits, and quality.

There are other options on the market, as you point out, but I wanted to report on how impressed I am with the Apple Watch. 

Back in 2007 Fitbit came up with an attractive device and concept when they launched. I was an early adopter and progressively advanced up the ladder of their products. I did lose or throw several of them in the laundry in the early days. Fitbit even offered to replace one of the early ones for us. My girlfriend visited their San Francisco office to pick up the replacement. Slowly they began to outsource customer service and now it appears to be entirely overseas. Reaching anyone who makes policy is impossible. After their 2015 IPO they briefly became  even more popular. Today, though, Fitbit is not doing so well, maybe in part due to the number of customers who have discovered the lack of any protections from loss or theft. 

You can check out the Seeking Alpha web site for news on Fitbit stock.

I continue to follow these discussions and post mainly to help inform others who stumble on these discussions that Fitbit is not going help them when their device is lost or stolen. The moderators and customer service types on these discussions do a great job of acting like something might be able to be done, then posting how very sorry they are about the fact that it was lost/stolen, They insist that adding a tracking feature is not feasible and that they can't block the theives from registering your product as theirs due to privacy reasosns or some other argurment. They then are suggesting that a token discount can be gotten from Fitbit on the replacement that will need to be purchased. If any of you reading this have recently had your Fitbit lost/stolen the best advice is to stop belonging to the Fitbit community now. Suggestions for tracking /protection features is a waste of one's time. Most of us feel angry when we discover this so the faster one copes with that frustration and anger and moves on to a better device, then I have found and believe that one feels better in the long run.

My best wishes to you all,

Ted

smetelko
First Steps

With the substantial investment in this tracker and the ability for Fitibit to track and accumulate volumes of info on me, why can't the tracker be deactivated when lost or stolen?  

tedhowell
Base Runner
 " 
First Steps

With the substantial investment in this tracker and the ability for Fitibit to track and accumulate volumes of info on me, why can't the tracker be deactivated when lost or stolen?  "

Comment from Ted:

Good question but please understand that Fitbit has no intention of actually hearing our suggestions and making any changes. I am sorry if you lost your Fitbit. Please consider shopping for another brand that offers better protection against loss.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.