Add your own exercises to the shortcut list

Could it be possible to make exercise shortcuts completely customizable?

Currently I can't add cross country skiing to the list for an example.

Also it's not possible to use workout as this doesn't measure distance with GPS, stride is not usable for distance measuring for this sport. 

Option one would be to make it possible to add your own exercises to the shortcuts, in this case cross country skiing with GPS measuring.

Secondary option would be to add workout with GPS as this is the only post workout  name changeable exercise.

Best option of course would be completely user changeable shortcuts as the options currently are very limited and it would leave the hassle out post workout.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and added labels

68 Comments
Kellymac6
First Steps

I have really been enjoying my new Surge, but am facing an issue that I think could be fairly easily solved. The issue I am facing is two fold:

1) If I select an activity from my current exercise shortcuts on my Surge to track an activity I am not able to edit the label of that activity or any of the recorded information in my activity log. 

2) If I let the automatic activity mode for Surge track it I can make some adjustments but I can't get GPS data.

My request is to be able to create custom activites, indicating which metrics you would like to track and which you wouldn't. For example, I horseback ride and would like to track duration, heart rate, calories burned, and gps data but not steps or floors.

I would then like the ability to add these custom activities to my exercise shortcuts on the Surge. Finally, I would like to be able to edit the label/name of any activity regardless of how it was added to the log.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Kellymac6
First Steps
I was thinking about this a bit more because I know that horseback riding may be too small of a use case. However, I think this feature would also be useful for a of other people in more "obscure" sports such as Paddleboarding, Rowing, snowmobiling, dog sledding, or skydiving.

It would also be a very helpful feature for people who use wheelchairs.

Finally, I think it would be great for people who want to customize tracking of more standard activities. For example, I would like to not count steps when I run. I know they are technically steps but I want to reach my 10,000 step goal not including my run.l and for some reason it feels to me like I am getting double credit for running - because I get activity goal points as well I think.

Just some additional thoughts to bolster this idea! Thanks!
Jojoflojo
Recovery Runner
Yes I put a feature request in for this too! I horseback ride and wanted a function to GPS track as well as my HR, a simple solution for Fitbit would be to add a workout option with HR & GPS to the main list on the watch that way you can then change the activity afterwards to horse riding or dog sledding etc
Vauxclair
Jogger

I too would like this feature so that I can enter my horseback riding, as well as my Trikke riding.

Please consider the possibility to include and set custom activities.  Fitbit would have less work to do on their side maintaining different types of activities, and everyone would be able to address their own personal activities.  It's a win-win!

Thanks!

HarleyKB
Jogger

I'm looking to do the same when riding my motorcycle.  I only want heartrate, calories burned and durration tracked. No floors, No Steps, GPS off.

Thanks

Ken B

Tommmy24
First Steps

I just contacted FitBit support and they (Benjamin) said they don't have that feature available.

I want to be able to change the following in my Surge:

1. Rename an exercise name that I never use to something I will use (e.g. being able to change Pilates to XXXX)

2. Being able to create a new entry (not under favorite in the log activity) where it SHOWS on my tracker under Exercise options. 

Ultimately I would like to on my tracker under "Exercise" and be abel to select my new custom (heart rate based) exercise named XXXX.

Thoughts?

carrin007
First Steps

We should be able to create a customizable exercise shortcut. I like to track the amount of time I ride my horse which is not an available option. Even if it does nothing more but log the exercise it would be really helpful. 

HappyWife2
First Steps

I would like to be able to see the step count for any exercise mode I am in, like I could when using the exercise mode on my charge HR. 

carrin007
First Steps

^^exactly. The charge HR you could set the timer at the beginning and end and track you number during that time frame loved it. 

Laney.storm
Jogger

I agree because I dance and do gymnastics and I know a lot of people who do a lot of sports/exercise that aren't on the exercise shortcut list 

@carrin007 wrote:

We should be able to create a customizable exercise shortcut. I like to track the amount of time I ride my horse which is not an available option. Even if it does nothing more but log the exercise it would be really helpful. 

Voldedragon
First Steps

I'd love more outdoor winter options like crosscountry skiing and alpine skiing! 

DeviceGuru
Recovery Runner

How about adding one or more user-specified exercise shortcuts to Charge 2 and other Fitbits with HR support? Then we could easily track personal routines beyond those in the list of standard options. For example, I've been using "Yoga" to monitor HR trends during my twice-daily meditations (the data is very interesting!), but I'd rather be able to define a custom shortcut as "Meditation."

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Tommmy24, thanks for your suggestion.

We're always working to streamline our offerings as we introduce new products. Although it has been a very popular product for us, we will soon stop selling Fitbit Surge. If you're looking for a new device, we recommend considering Ionic. Ionic is a motivating timepiece packed with fitness guidance, health insights, music storage, apps, and more. You can learn more about Ionic at https://www.fitbit.com/ionic or compare the Fitbit family of products at https://www.fitbit.com/compare.

Please note that we’ll continue to support Surge from a software standpoint, along with any questions you might have during your use of the product. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope we can continue to provide you with Fitbit devices you love and help you reach your goals.

For now I've changed your Feature Suggestion label to 'exercise' as it's still applicable to future products.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback with us.

Chardyy7
Stepping Up

I am a lover of the more 'unusual' sports that there are in the world, but am fed up with having to log it as something else. For example, I play underwater hockey at an international level and as such play upwards of 3 times a week. Currently, this is being logged as a swim, but it is getting mixed in with my actual swim training sessions.

Same with weights sessions in the gym. I would like to be able to record what I've worked (i.e. arms and back/ chest and shoulders etc.), rather than just a generic weight session. 

I would like the ability to create custom names for a workout so that I can log and view my activities without having to figure out what was what. 

Ronald1
Runner

Great idea

psssst don’t hold your breath!!

Fitbit has more a reactionary mindset rather than a strategic one. As soon as users defect to Garmin then they will react!!!

Status changed to: Not currently planned
MarreFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

MarreFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @DeviceGuru, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

MarreFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Chardyy7,  thanks for sharing this suggestion.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQsFor now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

benwinters
Jogger

I would love to see an addition on the versa to add a workout option with a name of your choosing to the exercise app.  For example, I rock climb, and would love to be able to have a workout I can select that is dedicated strictly to that rather than just having everything outside of run/bike/swim/weights be one work out option.  It doesn't even need to do anything other than be a stopwatch with a calorie counter...the versa-tility (see what I did there) of being able to create your own workout categories is really what im looking for.

DrKendra
Jogger

Regarding those exercise shortcuts on your device screen that you can arrange through your cellphone app, I would love an option for horseback riding. But since not everyone rides horses, what if there was a personal choice option where you could pick from any category you can already log. So whatever your most common exercise is can be your first choice! Let our device functionality adart to our diversity!

Tashka
First Steps

Allow the user to create custom workout shortcuts.

A lot of users will do training types that are not on the standard list (e.g. Climbing, paddle board race training, football etc etc) would still like to see their specific sports tracked. This is especially useful if you want to look back on your weeks training.

To allow this to be possible why not provide the tools to let the user to create their own exercise shortcuts? Options such as GPS tracking , or heart rate zones, or timing cues could be added during the exercise shortcut creation.

It would be impossible for Fitbit to create a database of every possible exercise. So by taking a cue out of competitor SUNTO's books Fitbit could allow it's users to create a database of the slightly less mainstream workouts for them.

Tashka
First Steps

Allow the user to create custom workout shortcuts.

A lot of users will do training types that are not on the standard list (e.g. Climbing, paddle board race training, football etc etc) would still like to see their specific sports tracked. This is especially useful if you want to look back on your weeks training.

To allow this to be possible why not provide the tools to let the user to create their own exercise shortcuts? Options such as GPS tracking , or heart rate zones, or timing cues could be added during the exercise shortcut creation.

It would be impossible for Fitbit to create a database of every possible exercise. So by taking a cue out of competitor SUNTO's books Fitbit could allow it's users to create a database of the slightly less mainstream workouts for them.

Bvega58
Recovery Runner

Hi, Exercise tile should be customizable like the food tile. Stationary bike isn't even a recognized exercise. Hula hoop isn't even able to be added, I had to choose cardio sculpt.

SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.