Fitbit Journal - Notes on online and app dashboard

How about a space in the app for a daily note. I would like to be able to leave a note on the daily results page. So that if results are high or low I would know why when looking back. IE: was I sick so my daily results were very low or were they extra good and for what reason? In sure folks would have lots of reasons to look back at results and would want to know what was what at that time. Ted

Moderator Edit: Title & Labels

726 Comments
ajspear
First Steps

It would be nice if there was an option to enable tracking your mood or writing some notes after waking up and syncing to the app.

Craig
Distance Runner

you do have the option for mood and allergies in the journal area of the log

valeristein
Jogger

I can't find how to log it. 

BH25
First Steps

I see the journal on the website.  But it is most needed when you are away from your pc, evening and weekends.  That's when you are walking the most and can record the walking event.  Currently, when viewing the bar charts of steps, and you see a spike, the app show the number of steps in the bar.  It would be great to tap the spike/bar and see a pop up of the corresponding journal.  For example, say you are looking over previous weeks step charts and you see a spike in steps, it would be great to scroll over the spike and see a popup of "Went to zoo all day."  Without journal on phone linked to charts, you won't know what was going on during the steps uless you remember later to login at the desktop and record the journal entry (and then still I don't think it pops up on the step chart).  Better to be aboe to log it in the phone app in real time.   Right now I see a spike and have no idea what the activity was, maybe a child's soccer game?  Dog walk? Same w/ sleeping.  Why only 3 hrs of sleep one night 2 weeks ago?  Dont remember but could have logged into the phone app, which would/should link to sleep charts. 

MeredithW
First Steps

Add journal option to dashbaord both online and definitely on the Mobile Apps. Journal feature is very important and clearly the Fitbit team has undervalued this part of the whole equation. 

Moderator edit: edited title to improve clarity and visibility

mechanesthesia
Recovery Runner

Suggestion: I just found out you have a "Journal" section to keep track of your moods/allergies and put in random notes. This would be SO useful if it was on the app. Please consider adding this on the app so we can keep track of these things and put in whatever notes we think are relevant. I can already see so much potential this can have! 😄
Also, additionally, could you add a way that we can log multiple moods throughout the day with a time stamp so we can see how our mood may change throughout the day?

Moderator Edit: Clarified title

TiggerNibroc
Jogger

I would very much like to be able to add a free form note to various log entries, especially about a sleep log entry.  I'd like to note contextual items that might have influenced my sleep that night, or if I had odd dreams that night, or if other health issues were going on that contributed to getting less sleep.

I could also see adding notes to other log entries, like the # of steps or such.

I use MyFitnessPal to track all my food, and they have a "Note" field for the food log, and I really like it.  I'd love to see a similar feature here on FitBit.

dgdeptuch
Jogger

I really love using the Fitbit.  It allows me to have all of my data in one place.  However, the Food Plan is really lacking stuff.   And your data is vert limited.  Maybe you could hook up and incorporate with My Fitness Pal....their food content was incredible.  Very detailed and not in grams. Food choices are very limited. Please help and update.

Thanks,

Donna

Ravs
Jogger

Yes I completely agree - this would be so usefull to be able to add in this data throught the day so that we can track changes over time and see if they relate back to certain types of food or level of exercise or alergies etc. Please add journal and mood logging capeabilities to the mobile app.

thirstyme
First Steps

I agree. It would also be good to see how sleep pattern makes me feel in the morning, and link that to maybe what I ate that day before or if I exercised.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would love it if in the activities, you could manually enter the name of an activity and the calories you have burned. I do exercise DVDs with a heart rate monitor so it would be great if I could log the name of the DVD as the title of the exercise and the calories from my HRM. At the moment I have to log them all as 'aerobics', which means when I look back, I can't differentiate between the DVDs.

Starkman78
Base Runner

There are many people here who wish for more workout features than Fitbit currently offers and there are several feature requests. In the meantime, you might consider using the Endomondo app to track your workouts. You can log the different DVD's and titles in that tracker (although if you don't like the idea of frequently checking a different database, you could log the titles of your workouts in your Fitbit journal). But more importantly you can use a HR monitor with it so your HR data goes into the algorithm that calculates your calorie burn and that calorie burn will automatically upload to Fitbit. Also, some people get frustrated because they miss out on "Very Active" minutes during times in their workout that the Fitbit doesn't pick up a lot of stepping. Endomondo "knows" that you were working hard for your entire workout and it overrides to credit you with the full amount of VAM. Good luck!

slysam
Distance Runner

Actually, since you are logging your heart rate monitor calorie burn you can make a custom activity for each dvd and it will show the exact dvd you worked on. And I believe it remembers your calorei burn if you for some reason didn't wear your HRM, I am not sure whether the remembered burn adjusts with weight changes though.

andysando
Recovery Runner

I think there should be a journal tile so that you can easily write a quick note for the day, what training you have done and so on.

cpb
Stepping Up

I completely agree.  I know there is a journal feature on the dashboard, but would like to see this option on the mobile apps so it is easy to update the journal while on the go.  This is especially useful for people who use the journal as a food diary if they don't like to count calories.  Also to record mood etc.

Starkman78
Base Runner

Ditto for Android app. It would really be useful to be able to journal when out and about.

Primdaisy
Recovery Runner

When I log my activity, I would like to have a section for notes to go along with that particular activity for that day. For example, I am doing the C25K program and have used that to log, but I would like to note what week and day I have accommplished when I log it. Sometimes I'll do only parts of workouts, or add in ab work from another workout, and would like to note that as well. Is this possible? Thx!

avril
First Steps

I recently got a new phone which syncs directly with my fitbit which is great as I rarely use a computer on a daily basis. I love the 'blog' feature but this is only available on the website - any chance we could see a blog function on the app? It would be great to blog how I'm feeling when I'm out and about and 'in the moment', not just when I'm on a computer! 

ES10
Recovery Runner

I'd love to have the journal feature in the mobile app. I use it to record the time I eat and how hungry I am, so I have to be able to take notes throughout the day. Right now I just use a notes app and copy it to the fitbit website in the evening, but it would be nice to avoid that extra step.

kim623
First Steps

I would like to see a notes section on the mobile app. It would be a great place to put bullet points from each day. When referencing I could remember why my activities were especially low or high. It would also be good to see if there are patterns that effect activity level or eating patterns.  Just something I would like to see. 

JemimaP
Base Runner

I, too, would like a notes section.  Helps when looking back.  For instance I have a cold right now and my activity is consequentially very low. Notes would assist with calories too. Say you attend a wedding or other social occasion and over-indulge. 

zapleahy
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@ajspear  @valeristein Apologies for the late response. Hopefully you've figured it out by now, but you can access the Journal/Mood tracker from your dashboard. Click Log > then Journal. Select a mood, rate your allergies, and add notes to your journal. You can view past entries and set your privacy settings from this page as well.

log mood.png

Status changed to: New
zapleahy
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

ajspear
First Steps

Thanks but it would be nice if it was on the app on not have to be on a computer

MatthewFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@mechanesthesia At this time, the only way to use the Journal/Mood section is to visit your account through a computer's web browser at https://www.fitbit.com/journal. I've updated your title to indicate that this would be a great feature to see migrated to the mobile app.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.