Pole Dancing and Aerial Acrobatics Exercises

It was suggested per a FitBit team member to post this in the community discussion for the product development team.  Here is my original request:

I am a recent new customer to FitBit. I previously used another fitness tracker and when my corporation informed me their wellness program partnership with FitBit, I purchased one of your trackers. I have been getting used to your product and one thing that I have noticed that separates your product from other trackers I have used is the wide variety of exercises that are acknowledged in the app's fitness tracker exercise log. Unfortunately, two very common activities which constitute about eighty percent of my workouts are not options. These activities are pole dancing fitness and aerial acrobatics.  I would also like to suggest adding the feature to categorize each workout's intensity for a more accurate record. There are a huge number of your customers that participate in these very common forms of exercise activities. The pole and aerial community are very fitness savvy individuals that enjoy tracking their fitness activities and would like to have the ability to utilize your product more accurately to reflect the activities they enjoy doing for fitness. I hope you will consider adding these options to your tracking application to encompass a continuously growing community of fitness enthusiasts that have seemingly been left out of the mainstream recognition for fitness activities.

Thank you! 

UPDATE 3/24/2017: Fitbit has enabled the ability to create your own activities in the app.  Check out my blog for a detailed how to picture tutorial: http://www.poleharmony.com/2017/03/fitbit-health-activity-index-and-fitbit.html

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

35 Comments
Bakeree
First Steps
Hey Fitbit developers! You have flying trapeze as an activity in your commercials, yet those of us who actually do that activity as well aerial and other firms of circus activities can't log it as a workout in the app. Can you add those to the list of workout activities? You have table tennis and carpentry, Trapeze workouts should definitely be there too 😀 please and thank you! The circus community will be very thankful!!!
Bakeree
First Steps
Hey Fitbit developers! You have flying trapeze as an activity in your commercials, yet those of us who actually do that activity as well aerial and other firms of circus activities can't log it as a workout in the app. Can you add those to the list of workout activities? You have table tennis and carpentry, Trapeze workouts should definitely be there too 😀 please and thank you! The circus community will be very thankful!!!
Bakeree
First Steps
Hey Fitbit developers! You have flying trapeze as an activity in your commercials, yet those of us who actually do that activity as well aerial and other firms of circus activities can't log it as a workout in the app. Can you add those to the list of workout activities? You have table tennis and carpentry, Trapeze workouts should definitely be there too 😀 please and thank you! The circus community will be very thankf
Tenhi
First Steps

Please, add Acrobatics to the activity list in "Track previous exercise" feature. There are many kinds of acrobatics: aerial acrobatics like trapeze, straps, rope and aerial silks; other types: pole-dance, acro-yoga. I believe that circus arts community members will be grateful for that.

Moderator edit: Title, edited labels.

Status changed to: New
CindyFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @Tenhi thanks for your suggestion about our activity log! I will pass it along to the corresponding team for evaluation. 

Happy stepping! Woman Wink

Sayra
First Steps
I would love this as well! I often log my pole workouts on my Charge HR, and I like to be able to categorize them. To me, "dancing" is what I do when I'm listening to a band play. it's very different than a pole workout. Thanks!
Nszickler
First Steps
I agree with this. I can tell you that you burn more than the said 200 calories when doing an hour of pole, lyra, or silks.
Scottbb
First Steps

like to see zumba in their too.  This is a great work out as well.

Ruthiec
First Steps
Yes! Yes! Yes! As an Aerial Yoga instructor I'd love to be able to track my classes, from Beginner to Advanced it would be awesome.
kvelez830
First Steps

I'm a pole dance instructor and occassionally dabble with other aerial artforms (lyra, silks, hammock). It sucks that I can't really track my workouts because they're not listed. I guarantee you what we do exerts much more energy and burns more calories than some of the other activites listed. I think we need a fair shot 😉 

LooLoo13
Jogger
Please add pole fitness to the exercise list. It's a highly popular fitness activity but not included on your app!
Tms0601
First Steps
Hey Fitbit! Will you had the aerial arts to the exercise tracker? I do pole fitness as well as aerial hoop and can't log my exercises 😥 These activities, as well as other aerial acrobatics, burn a lot of calories, but we are unable to track it. People that take part in the aerial arts are fitness enthusiasts too and would love to be able to track their workouts. Please please add them! Thanks!
LeahJdave
First Steps
Please can we have Pole fitness added to tracking exercise- that and yoga is the only thing I do and I want to keep a track of it?
EvieGullis
First Steps
Hey, have Fitbit added the aerial hoop activity to their products yet? I have just brought a Fitbit Alta and so disappointed I can add aerial hoop to my exercise. It my way of working out twice a week. Please add the option of adding aerial hoop Fitbit! Thank you!
Debbie_25
First Steps
A main form of exercise for me and many others is pole dancing fitness, however I am unsure how to track my activity on the app could you please consider adding this activity
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AndreaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your suggestion about this activity log! I will pass it along to the corresponding team for evaluation.

Happy stepping! Woman Wink

tashal1
Jogger

i love this idea. personally i dont know any one that does hiking or a couple of the other options to auto select from on the charge 2 selection screen and i think pole would be a brilliant addition so we can all track properly

HoopyLucy
Recovery Runner

I just got a Charge 2 and to be honest it is fantastic but it can not track the one thing I actually do a lot of - Pole and aerial hoop!  If you could put pole in there, it would be so much better as I don't think Dance does it justice and to be honest I want to track from my tracker and not log in from the app.

Thanks!

Smaisidoro
First Steps
I subscribe to all what was said regarding the software, and I only have something to add regarding hardware.

Many sports activities require a non intrusive band, with strong attachment (stronger than Flex, which comes right off at any torque) and with as little metal parts to minimise possibility of contact injury (eg. scratch).

I practice aerial rope, and I have issues with my tracker on the hardware level. I'm considering upgrading to a HR enabled device, but the above mentioned issues prevent me from making any further investment.

If fitbit manages to fill this market segment many acrobatics/gymnastics/circus/any sport that involves hands would greatly appreciate. Ie, a next flex device with HR, stronger bracelet, and non intrusive size 🙂
Meredithbarwick
First Steps

Please can you add pole dancing to the options. I do this once a week and would like to be rewarded for my excersise efforts 

MagicJessBell
First Steps

YES PLEASE! As a professional performer, I'd also like to see Jazz classes and Tap classes on there! All the dancers at my studio that wear fitbits are always talking about how they wish they could log all their dance training and CAN'T!

ladymuck
First Steps

I have an old fitbit that I don't use and want to upgrade to one with the heart rate monitor and was searching to see if the company has ever updated to include pole and hoop before I purchase, as that is my main form of exercise. It is so surprising that this is a very very popular form of workout and the technology to track this accurately is not in the marketplace. There are conventions, competitions and showcases around the world and these athletes all are fitness oriented and want to track their progress. It has been a topic of numerous conversations at the pole studios that I've been to. One of my good friends moved to San Francisco in the earliest stages of fitbit before it was really off the ground and went to work for them when it was a just a little start up. The company seemed so forward thinking and encouraged differenent forms of exercise. She was a pole instructor and even taught classes to the employees so I am dissapointed that several years later, no movement from the company to encorporate this.

HoopyLucy
Recovery Runner

Hi Everyone - Just so you know, I am now able to log my exercies as pole and aerial hoop.  If you go onto a tablet or dashboard and log into your aacount on the fitbit website, if you then click on log, at the bottom you can 'Create Activity'.  Follow the instructions and then sync your phone app with your tracker.  When you are on the pole or aerial hoop or whatever other exercise there is, track it as 'Workout'.  When you have finished and ended the workout session on your tracker, sync with the app and then go into Weekly Exercise.  Once in there, select the Workout and you will see on Iphones, a line near the top that says 'Catergorise Exercise'.  Once you have selected this, it gives you the option of changing the name and if you have done the previous steps, your exercises such as pole or hoop for example can be chosen.  This means it is now logged under the correct name.

It also works on Android but I think you select Edit but not sure.

Hope this helps.

kobajo84
Jogger

Thanks HoopyLucy! I actually wrote a blog about this recently with a detailed how to section at the very end of the blog that tells you how to add your own fitness activities in the Fitbit app: http://www.poleharmony.com/2017/03/fitbit-health-activity-index-and-fitbit.html

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.