New updated clip on tracker

I have had a One for 3 years now and love it but am a bit disappointed that some features are not available on it (e.g.. active mins per hour etc). Please can you make a new clip on fitbit with more features. I really don't want a wrist one at all.

1,086 Comments
kemOx
Recovery Runner

@ScrapjenB, thanks for the detail report of how things went with testing the Garmin! That’s really helpful. I was literally wondering yesterday if the Charge would fit in the clip made by Garmin. I think I might try that. Doesn’t it fit fight in; do you ever worry about it falling out?

It’s  been about 3 weeks without my One, and I do think I’m moving less.

I’m not all that enthused about buying another Fitbit, given their lack of interest. But then again, finding a hack will show that it can be done. As a person with a disability, I have to find strategies and back regular tasks and products before anyway.

rusmo
Base Runner
Strange. I disagree with their idea that the wrist trackers are better free advertisement. I've had more people ask me about my One than my Charge HR just because people are actually more interested to know about a clip-tracker. Wrist trackers are ubiquitous and are not novel.

Many, many people wear their Ones hidden. Near-zero percent of wrist tracker wearers wear theirs hidden. You won't get asked about things that aren't readily apparent. More to the point, if people see a cool and/or attractive person they don't know wearing a Fitbit Versa, it may color their perception of the brand and/or product. This, in a nutshell, is the basis for advertising in visual media over the last 100 years.

Forevero
First Steps
I didn’t say wrist trackers were better advertisement. Quite the opposite. Most who buy them no longer use them after a few weeks - I’ve seen this not only with Fitbit but Apple Watch, etc. People with clip trackers are consistent with their use - they are small, convenient to wear, and accurately track! I’m like the rest on here, will never change to an inaccurate, uncomfortable tracker.
rusmo
Base Runner
I didn’t say wrist trackers were better advertisement. 

That was me - please see my reply above. Re: your point, as long as the user doesn't return the device, Fitbit keeps the money. 

ScrapjenB
Strider

@kemOx The Charge2 is a very snug fit into the GarminVivoFit clip (my experience was with a 3rd party clip, less expensive than the one made by Garmin). There is no way it is falling out. It IS a bit of a wrestle to get it in, not quite as smooth a slip in as the One is into its case (of the Alta into a 3rd party clip made for it). The button on the side of the Charge2 is covered up, but it still works fine just pressing it through the case. I am still holding out hope that someone (3rd party or Fitbit) makes a case for not only the Charge2, but all the wrist versions. Even if someone is perfectly happy wearing a wrist device, there are likely times they can't, and would like a case so they could still get some step credit (my son, playing basketball for example).

@rusmo As Fitbit started with only clip trackers back in the day (I've been with them, customer/not employee, for over 10 years now) I sure showed a lot of people my clip tracker, even on my bra! Okay, I'd reach in and grab it and pull it out to show them 🙂 In my Zumba classes, I reach in and start the timer, and glance down to check the time. It's been a common joke"  during the years "Jen, how long have we been dancing? Check your boobs!"  I personally sold SO many people on Fitbit before the wrist trackers were even introduced.

As painful as it is when a favorite item is discontinued, it happens a lot! I assume there are things we don't know, some reason, at least I hope so. That perfect lipstick I found is no longer being made, a shoe I finally discovered that I was comfortable with, a favorite food ... how can they discontinue it? Didn't I personally buy enough of it to keep the company profitable??? Every year we the cancelations of TV programs are announced you get a huge blow-back from those hard-core fans. I'll never understand all the issues, but it happens so often in everything ... 😞

Glendamay
Recovery Runner

A clip on tracker that has features of fitbit wrist trackers would be nice. Like stairs claimed, sleep, active minutes, etc. 

kemOx
Recovery Runner

@ScrapjenB, thanks for the response about using the Charge in the Vivofit clip. (And apologies to everyone for all the typos! That’s what happens when I’m angrily typing on the train home!)

I also hope someone will make a third party clip for the Charge; you’re right and I’ve seen some clips sold for the Alta. 

I finally decided to go with that option... I just ordered a Charge 2, and also a set of third party Garmin clips, because I miss participating in my Fitbit challenges. I already tried ordering a One from ebay, and of course it was defective and had to be returned. Fingers x’d this works.

Glendamay
Recovery Runner
Let us know if it works. I need a clip on tracker (I can not wear a wrist
band) that counts flight of stairs. We have competitions at work on how
many flights of stairs you've climed in a week.
AuntieS
Recovery Runner
I just get why they make us jump through hoops to create our own clip on
tracker. When will they get that this is what we want. We do not want to
have to modify their other devices or wear a wrist model. Which by the
way, I refuse to do. Once my One gives up, I give up on Fitbit!
ScrapjenB
Strider

@kemOx  Oddly enough, the Charge2 clipped still sometimes picks up heart rate (somewhat accurately too, based on previous exercise experience and comparing it to my Versa on my wrist) BUT you can turn the heart rate option off (just in case it throws off calorie estimates, and to preserve battery). It's under settings. Just an FYI. If you ever do try it on your wrist (or ankle) though, give the HR function a try. It's fun feedback!  I hope it works out well for you. Some features (the auto-tracking of sleep and exercise) are an improvement over the One. You can adjust auto-tracking times if they aren't quite correct. 

kemOx
Recovery Runner

@AuntieS, I felt the same way! I wanted to hold out. I’ve been chatting in the Fitbit chats anyway, but find I miss tracking my steps =\ Hopefully when your One dies out, there’ll be another option.

@Glendamay, sure, I’ll definirely report back once I get it up and running! Fingers x’d. Of course I’ll probablu have to said at least 5 days for everything to arrive in the mail...

@ScrapjenB, Intersting, thanks for sharing. I’m interested in checking out the heart rate feature, and maybe experimenting with the breathing feature... Good to know the HR can be turned off to help battery life. When it picked up your heart rate clipped, did you have it clipped to your waistband?

macaroni_me
Jogger
I think the charge 2 and the Alta hd are both too bulky for clip s and for
the wrist. I looked at this myself a few months ago and couldn't justify
purchasing either.
ScrapjenB
Strider

@macaroni_me  While the Charge2 is a little bigger, it still fit clipped for me, and the Alta is almost exactly the same size as the one. I took a picture of the Alta in a clip next to a One. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc94SKojFpf/?taken-by=jenbsjourney

@kemOx  At first I actually put the Charge2 in the clip backwards, so the sensors would still be facing my skin (on my bra or waist) ... but then I turned it around, and even wore it on my pocket, and it would still sometimes pick up a "heart rate" (and I've heard this from a few others). Makes me wonder a bit if "heart rate" is actually estimated a bit, based on activity (higher steps assumes an increased HR)? I don't know. It just seemed like I was getting some HR readings when it really wouldn't have been possible for it to pick up.

obsolete
First Steps

I am unhappy that Fitbit no longer supports the One. It is still a perfectly good product! I can't afford to buy another one, and I can't get the replacement clip that I need. I was told there is no more inventory. The tip has come off two clips, which makes it difficult to put on my bra strap, and insecure once it is on, causing it to fall off. I will continue to use it, but will be constantly worried it will be lost. I have said good things to friends and family about Fitbit and its customer service in the past, but I am no longer such a fan.

momtallica
Recovery Runner

My One died about 3 months ago.  I miss the discreet way of wearing it and the flight of stair counting.  I have just gotten a flex 2 and an aftermarket clip  so can wear under my clothes or secure in a pocket.  It is waterproof and can apparently track swimming, that will be a bonus, I will have to see if it works.  

I would like to see a clip on tracker, that is rechargeable, includes counting flights of stairs and is waterproof.  The fitbit website is great and easy to use.  A clip on tracker is excellent for many who cannot wear a wrist tracker and also as an add on for times when one's wrist tracker is appropriate such as work and sports where it is against regulations to wear a watch.  Fitbit please consider developing a new tracker or bringing back the One.

Minnie15
Jogger
This is well said. My One just died and I got a Flex2. Does FB have a clip feature for the Flex2 and would it have to be “designated” as wearing on the bra as opposed to the wrist to get an accurate count?

Dear FB and Moderator…. I notice MANY people commenting on the positive features of the FB One. Please say you’re even noticing. I agree with the above poster that I like the FB interface and community… it really motivates me to be Active!! Please listen.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Sunrider
Recovery Runner

For what it's worth to everyone and anyway, I tried three different pedometers before buying my first Fitbit, a Zip.  They were wildly inaccurate.  They were also quite cheap - $10-15 each.  The Zip took a chunk out of the account, but I was super happy with the results of my manual testing.

I walked 100 steps and counted them, then checked to see what the Zip said.  I did this multiple times.  It was always so close, if not spot on, ranging from about 95 - 102 steps.  I vaguely remember counting 200 steps and getting similar results.  I got a One because I wanted something that tracked sleep, and stairs.  I did the same with it.  I love Fitbit precisely because of the trackers you can clip to your body core and the accuracy those get.

The cheap ones would tell me I'd walked 500 steps for my counted 100.  Or 30 steps for my counted 100.  Unacceptable.

This is the same reason I won't buy a wrist model.  Not when a friend tells me standing still and scrubbing a pot at the kitchen sink (fitbit on her off her hand) still gave her 1000 steps.  A coworker passed up time with her granddaughter in a park because she knew pushing a stroller would miss her steps.  I hold hands with my husband when we're walking - I'm sure that's going to affect the steps because our joined hands don't swing like they would normally. Another friend takes her wrist model off before knitting, otherwise it gives her a couple of miles.

Would you please pay attention to your customers, Fitbit.  Before we're no longer your customers.

momtallica
Recovery Runner

@Minnie15 you can get clips from Amazon for the fitbit flex 2.  I purchased some, I have used only one day and it stayed securely in place, but it did not track sleep that night.  There doesn't appear to be a way to designate that it is being worn with a clip, that would be a nice update though @Fitbit.

I am still experimenting with the flex 2 features.  I just went for a walk it picked up the active minutes but it didn't register as any particular activity.  I plan to wear it for 24hr with my Garmin watch and compare the steps next (also sleep).

ak60501
First Steps

I left my One in the gym locker room recently, and when I went to lost and found, all of the desk staff thought I had the coolest Fitbit ever. Their hearts were broken when I told them it was old and no longer available.

I wanted to buy my mom a clip on activity tracker, but after looking at the Zip which is larger, yet somehow has less features, I decided to buy a device from a different brand. It sucks because now we can't be friends and compete with each other on the Fitbit app.

Prior posters are all correct: Fitbit, we would pay a PREMIUM for you to return the One to your product line or at the very least make a tracker that can be worn on the wrist AND in a clip. My office has a strict dress code, and no matter how cool I am, no one in my day to day life will ever be able to see me wearing a wrist tracker.

Another great point made by other users is that I have been wearing my One for three years NON-STOP. People I have bought a wrist tracker for or friends who received them as gifts give them up after a few months. My friends list in Fitbit is full of dormant users.

PLEASE bring back the One or another clip-on or dual wrist/clip device that has at minimum the step and stair counts, and the sleep tracking features.

Sunrider
Recovery Runner

OOOH, what a fantastic point @ak60501.   I too have been wearing mine non-stop for . . .  well, November will be 4 years.
The only time it's not on me is when I'm in the shower, and if I'm swimming.

We are committed FitBit users . . . with a One.

momtallica
Recovery Runner

@ak60501  I totally agree.  I wore my One 24/7 (except when in the water).  I miss it.  Please bring back the one or provide an alternative that will clip on and provide reliable data (steps, stairs, sleep at least).

kemOx
Recovery Runner

Hey, all. Yes, I completely agree that One users are among the most dedicated. I, too, had been using my One for probably 4 years? For one of my cousins, the One was his “gateway” Fitbit into the wrist-based model. And all of my regular FitBit friends have, or started out with Ones, while my “inactive” list is filled with people with presumably discarded wrist models.

I was writing in to update on purchasing a Charge 2, and fitting it into the Garmin Viviofit clips. It’s only the first full day, and while it’s not my preferred solution, I think it works! It’s not then One, nor is it as sleek and simple (the beauty of the One, sigh). It’s clunkier, but less so than the Zip, in my opinion. At first, I wasn’t pleased with the imperfect (but expected) fit in the Garmin (third party, purchased through Amazon). But after a day, the silicone seems to be molding to it better, or I’m just getting used to it. The functions work a little differently and take some adjustment, but I think I like this solution, and it’s a good alternative for those who still want to stay involved in FitBit...and if you’re willing to give more money to a company that is clearly ambivalent to our needs. But I’m thinking of it as an investment in myself, since I do move more with it than without it.

At this point, it seems more likely we’d be able to convince a third party to create a clip for the Charge, as opposed to convincing FitBit to bring back the One, or offer a clip for its own products.

Forevero
First Steps
I’ve been using the One since it was released and prior to that Fitbit’s original tracker which was released in 2007! I’m not looking forward to when my One dies and I’m left with no way to track my steps, mileage, and stairs when out.
Glendamay
Recovery Runner
@kemOx. I think you are right. We would probably be able to convince a
third party to create a clip for the Charge or even create a clip on device
as opposed to convincing FitBit to bring back the One or create a clip for
their own device
kemOx
Recovery Runner

@obsolete, there are a lot of people who agree with you! Since you still have your One, if you only need the clip, you can purchase third party clips on Amazon. I bought a set before I lost my One, and they’re less expensive and sturdier than the FitBit clips. They lasted longer before the tip came off, but it didn’t matter as much because you get multiple clips on a pack for less than the cost of the FitBit branded clip.

Sidenote, I came across another post requesting something with the features of a Charge that doesn’t need to be worn on the wrist. The One didn’t have all the features of a Charge, but more than anything else... You can find it here if you’re interested in voting: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Fitbit-with-all-Charge-2-features-that-doesn-t-h...

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.