Able to make up my missing hourly activity goals

The goal of Fitbit is to encourage users to become increasingly more active throughout the day, every day.   

So, why not add a " make-up" feature to the "Hourly Activity" slot?  

For example, if a user records adequate activity for 7 out of 8 hours but falls short of all 8, the user would be allowed to "make up" the remaining hour and ultimately fill all 8 by doing "double" or "triple" the amount of scheduled activity required for a one hour slot.  

This would cause users users to be more "goal-oriented," and would allow for occurrences during the day that may be unforeseen, or unavoidable.  It would potentially increase intensity of activity at the end of the day.   

It would also be an attractive option to allow each user to "earn" a makeup hour based upon their own performance during a weekly period, etc.  And see how many days in a row you have hit your goal.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

26 Comments
Scaldedchevy
First Steps

The goal of Fitbit is to encourage users to become increasingly more active throughout the day, every day.   

So, why not add a " make-up" feature to the "Hourly Activity" slot?  

For example, if a user records adequate activity for 7 out of 8 hours but falls short of all 8, the user would be allowed to "make up" the remaining hour and ultimately fill all 8 by doing "double" or "triple" the amount of scheduled activity required for a one hour slot.  

This would cause users users to be more "goal-oriented," and would allow for occurrences during the day that may be unforeseen, or unavoidable.  It would potentially increase intensity of activity at the end of the day.   

It would also be an attractive option to allow each user to "earn" a makeup hour based upon their own performance during a weekly period, etc.  

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This looks like an exact dyplicate of https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Hourly-Activity-Enhancement/idi-p/2200330

It would also be beneficial to have the title related to the request in the post such as "Add the abilty to do a makeup hour to the active hours goal"

Madcatlady42
Jogger

Expanding on that, why only steps. For overall health I need to do other activities, like squats and other things. Why cant I have fitbit remind me to do these and tick off that I have done it, much like the active hours? 

Scenario: I've set up fitbit to remind me at 10 am to do 10 squats, 10 lunges and hand weights on top of the 250 steps. 

I do the steps and get my button, but have forgotten to log the moves, so the dancing man appears on my Charge 2 with a buzz. If I don't do them, I get another buzz in 10 minutes. 

I use the log button on my fitbit. 

Simple

ElSimon
First Steps

It would be nice to be able to see how many steps I had for the hours I was short of the goal. As a continuation of the above idea be able to borrow the steps for the last 5-10 minutes of the previous hour (over the goal) and the first 5-10 minutes of the next hour, again if the hour has extra steps. This would be helpful when we are in a meeting and can't get up to walk during the meeting but "banked" some steps the previous hour as well as supplimented the number of steps the next hour (after the meeting).

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @Scaldedchevy! I moved your idea, that was a duplicate of this one, here to have all the votes together in the same suggestion. Thanks for sharing your idea.

ElSimon
First Steps
Can we PLEASE get this feature? I often get stuck in a meeting which can
last more than an hour. Once I fail to get my 250 steps during that hour I
lose incentive to continue to get the rest of the hours during the day of
250 steps.
Johnmarshall
Jogger

Would be nice to know and motivating to see how many days in a row you have hit your goal without missing.  The Nike bracelet use to have this feature,  so you never wanted to end your streak.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Johnmarshall, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. 😀

MaLaing
Jogger

It would be nice to have to have flex hours to make up for hourly activity on the fitbit. I received my fitbit in December and try to be active 10 hours in the day, however there are days were I miss my reminder at 10mins before the hour is up. Even though I have put in steps before my activity period starts or ends, those steps don't count and the fitbit will only count the hours active within the activity period. It would be nice to have the option where you can make up for the missed steps that way you can still meet your activity goal. Not everyone can meet their activity goal continuously and it would be easier if they could meet the goal in blocks instead.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @MaLaing, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having an option to make up missing hourly activity goals. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

JavaLinz
First Steps

AGREE!  Another thought would be to have flexible hours rather than set hours for the activity goals.  For example, set a goal of 250 steps for 12 of 24 hours of the day, but they can be any hours of the day to add up to 12 rather than the current functionality of having to set an exact 6 AM - 6 PM range to meet the goal.  If I sleep in on the weekend and don't get up until 7 AM, I already failed the day.  If I go to church on Sunday, I failed the day because for that exact hour I am sitting in church.  You could still set alerts for the exact range of hours, but if you reach your step goal in any of the hours of the day it should count toward the 12 of 24 hour total goal.

cygnusjen
Keeping Pace

This has got to happen - after all these years I can't believe they haven't implemented a non-consecutive hours a movement option.  I hit 8 hours in a row - and on the 9th hour didn't catch my reminder and blew the whole day.  So frustrating.  I hate the functionality of this goal because now I won't care the rest of the day what happens.

Naxx
First Steps
I love the active hours you get within a day to get up and move to keep fit but the issue I have is if you miss out on one of the hours and don't hit the 250 steps, I feel as if there should be a way where the user can make up for any lost hour with the rest of the hours in the day that isn't within your active hours set.
brotony00
First Steps

I don't know about making up for lost hours but the reminder to move 50 minutes into the hour often gets ignored when I'm busy, usually reading or conversing in some way.

I don't want to miss my active hour steps but would prefer to have a reminder at the top of the hour rather than later. I'm often watching the clock looking to get my steps early rather than later. Late reminders are missed or ignored too often.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Naxx. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to make up your missing hour to reach your hourly activity goal with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support and keep adding your suggestions!

kris10jill
Jogger
I would like to have a calories per hour goal (based on your calories/day goal & awake hours) to keep on track, but if you don't meet your goal for the hour, you can make it up in other hours. ie 2000 calorie goal divided by waking hours (24 hours-sleeping goal)=hourly goal that accumulates throughout the day
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @kris10jill, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to make up my missing hourly activity goals. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

kris10jill
Jogger

I didn’t want hourly step goals. I want hourly calorie goals. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It's really frustrating to miss an hour and I want to give up the rest of the day. So that means I actually move less, after I've missed one, because now I've "lost" the entire day anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

A single hour-long meeting or appointment makes it impossible to achieve this goal. Sometimes I get in the 245 range of steps and I still lose.

Knowing that I don't have any chance of acheiving the goal diminishes the motivation to move during the other hours.

So... PLEASE change this behaviour. Apples Watch does this almost perfectly! Its rules are: move 250 steps during x hours of the day.

For Apple's to be perfect, it would need to allow you to custumize the day to nightshifts. But Fitbits hourly activity system is a farcry from what Apple Watch offers. So... Improve it, please! 

lenefromnorway
First Steps

I 100% agree! I lose so much motivation if I miss one hour because I know I can't get all ten anyway. There should either be an option to make up for "lost hours", or like someone else said, flexible hours, as in getting 250 steps x hours each day, but they don't have to be set hours or consecutive hours. Please make one of these possible ASAP!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Just today I experienced another poorly designed experience very much related to this.
(It's another reason why this system is unfair and should be changed.)

My Fitbit wristband (Versa 2) says I took 250 steps that hour, and even rewards me with the daily screen "you did all the consecutive hourly steps. So that's great! Right?

Then the hour ends and I go to check stats in the Fitbit app. There I see that not all consecutive hours were registered, so I don't actually "win the day".

It happens when I get the final steps in less than a minute before the hour ends, or at least very close to.

But the Fitbit app only syncs these details every minute, and if it doesn't sync in time, it doesn't actually count, even though your Fitbit watch says you got it.

This is the worst experience of all and it's another punch in the face for those of us wanting to use this daily movement feature.

Shelleyp
Recovery Runner

It makes little sense not to implement this.

I set 10 hours for steps. But if I miss let's say the 3rd or 4th hour, then I no longer feel pushed to make the other hours. I know it's all supposed to be a benefit, but getting a goal met indicator is an encouragement.

If someone wants to do 10 hours consecutively, they can. If someone else wants to set 10 hours between a beginning and ending time, but not necessarily consecutively, they should be able to. It doesn't remove functionality, it just adds to it.

BRIANSWILSON
Recovery Runner

I second the option to have non-consecutive Hourly Activity rather than the current consecutive requirement.  I set my FitBit for 14 Hours/250 steps per hour.  A lot of times I get caught in meetings and can't break away in time to meet the goal.  Why bother with the rest of the day since I can't meet the daily goal.  I think it would be a much better idea to get 14/24 hours of steps.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.