Add Rock Climbing/Bouldering to Exercise app

Ionic doesn’t currently have a rock climbing activity as far as I can tell. I’d like to see activities for bouldering, top roping, and lead climbing.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

64 Comments
Rachele08
Jogger

I am an avid rock climber and I specifically purchased the Surge in order to be able to track my total rock climbing elevation as well as my other activity stats. I have been trying to use various exercise modes to track my climbing, but none of them seem to register. I don't think that the GPS would play into the reading because the altimeter is buildt in. Please add this feature if it can't already be done!

Martin_Dahl
Jogger

I also have this problem. Fitbit would be alone with this feature at the Charge HR pricepoint. It must also be far easier to implement than the floors algorithm that in my opinion cripples the data. 

jdknezek
First Steps

I agree! I understand that the Charge HR has an altimeter and tracks changes in altitude, but from the documentation it appears that it expects to combine this with activity to add to "floors climbed". An easy way to implement this feature would be to remove the activity requirement and always record altitude changes while in activity mode.

cornwalker
Stepping Up

I would love it if my Surge would track climbing, both indoor and outdoor. It doesn't seem like it's too far a stretch to put the altimeter into service of tracking altitude changes during climbs. What would be even better, since I'm wishing here, is if you could also choose the difficulty level of the climb - so I could input that this is a 5.11 and it would scale the activity and calories expended accordingly.

cdharrar
First Steps

I completely agree. Bought the charge HR to track my rock climbing and it logs my heartrate but that's about it. There is a big difference when I am climbing a 5.10 vs warming up on a 5.7. I would love for it to give general elevation change stats and having a way to track rock climbing as a specific exercise would be very helpful.

ulysses
Jogger

I completely agree. It would be an easy fix to include an exercise short cut that tracks altimeter readings with out the need to take steps (or have the GPS on). It would also be preferable to be able to change from a "floors" metric to a distance climbed metric. In fact I would prefer have a measure of elevation even when climbing stairs.

Mikejga
Recovery Runner

I too vote for a climbing mode. As described above, the ability to input the degree of difficulty woulld be nice. But just the basic would be a good start. Also  a fix, like beable to shake ones arm to make it register could be an incremental step to a full solutrion.

Murf-y
Jogger

I think you should return to the Different Activity levels. Give a total for each level. This was one way I kept a record of my day.

Henrypaints
Jogger

I would love to see some record for climbing, Tha altimeter to record feet climbed perhaps or just a way of manualy way of entering feet / floors climbed when you add the activity the same way you have to add calories when maually entering a workout.

braxtond
Jogger

Give an option for what kind of rock climbing you are doing i.e. indoor or outdoor as well as the level of difficulty, they measure level of plane, just like with hiking so most of it is level 5.(insert # here). 

Moderator edit: labels.

Kiraelton
First Steps

Agreed! This would help the rock climbing community so much! It would help us track our progress and goals. 

Nickg24
First Steps

Yes please!

MimilCH
First Steps

Please please please

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
TarinFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This would make it easier to track our workouts by selecting the climbing level. Thanks for sharing such a great idea! 

OzzyDazz
First Steps

Hi I have heard of another product that will track climb history and would like to know if Fitbit are looking into adding this as a update

haziebaby
Stepping Up

I agree, I also do indoor climbing most evenings and it would be great if there was an Activity called 'climbing' that would record my elevation climbed along with heart rate etc. on my Surge. Currently a few hours of climbing hardly registers as any activity at all.

ulysses
Jogger
I am switching to the new Garmin Vivoactice HR, since Fitbit refuses to unlock their altimeter. And besides the Garmin strap won't crack and cripple the whole unit as happened to my Surge ( having a non replaceable strap that is integrated into the electronics of the unit is just a very poor design)
OzzyDazz
First Steps

Hi there is a product that has recently been released called "The Whipper" thet will track climbing but waiting for it to be released in Australia.

LeE86
Jogger

I would love for a feature like this to be added! I plan on getting back into climbing for exercise and stress relief and it'd be great to have this count accurately towards exercise goals/etc.

Mattisokay
Jogger

I second this. 

ZBOTS
First Steps

I also think that they should integrate a climbing feature into the fit bits

OzzyDazz
First Steps
The hard wear is there in the Fitbit Surge they won't upgrade the soft wear.
Pay big bucks for an item and it stops been supported so you need to
upgrade the item.
Will not be purchasing another Fitbit product and I don't ever recommend it
to anyone.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This would be an amazing addition!

Jakebob
First Steps

Hey dev!

could we get a 

Indoor rock climbing / bouldering exercise shortcut please?!?!

i would be super great full! 

Thanks a million!

Laney_jane
Jogger

Please add this feature. My main activities are running, hot yoga and climbing! 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.