Smart Alarms that Wake You More Naturally (eg. in Light Sleep Stage)

I just got my Fitbit flex and I think it's fantastic.  If it monitors your sleep though it will have a good idea of when you're in deep (REM) sleep and when you're in lighter sleep.  You cycle between these two during the night on a pretty reliable pattern, and they're easy to tell apart as you don't move around while you're in REM sleep.  At least not as I understand things.

Could an update for the Fitbit modify the alarm feature please to wake you up as close as possible to your chosen time, but NOT during REM sleep?

This will allow you to wake more naturally, feeling refreshed, rather than how unpleasant it is when your alarm goes off in REM sleep.

Thanks, please all vote for this :smileyhappy:

Moderator edit: labels.

1,221 Comments
atclaus
First Steps

Please add! Expected this as a basic function...

fmart1
Runner

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing a fitbit... but I see it doesn't have one of my favorite features: a smart alarm! Would it be possible to add it?

I have a wristband with that feature, and I've been using it for around 4 years now... It made such a change in my life! I never woke up so refreshed before! I used to be a tough-to-wake-up person even if I had slept 7 to 8 hours, and often wake up in a bad mood, feeling that my body was heavy and shaky, and those problems are over. I realized that this happened just because I was being woken up when I was deep sleeping, so the secret was to wake me up at the right moment during light sleep. Now, I just choose a time window of 10 to 60 minutes and the band vibrates when I sleep at the lightest. And voilà, up, fresh, and in a good mood! (always best if I've slept at least around 6 hours).

So ever since I discovered this feature, I recommend to all my students to get a wrist band with a smart alarm!

I see you have wonderful sleep tracking system, so I guess that this feature would not be too hard to add... please, add it! It is sooooo useful to wake up at your best!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I'd really love to have this feature on my Versa! I had it on the Pebble Time Steel and I used to use it everytime, it was working very well even if sleep tracking was lighter than Fitbit's.

Please add this feature!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It's a shame that devices that are like 8 times faster have this feature while my new Versa doesn't 😞 

Please add this feature! 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

And of course I meant 8 times cheaper! 🙂 LOL 

fmart1
Runner

@SunsetRunner "And of course I meant 8 times cheaper! 🙂 LOL "

Yup, that makes more sense!! :-))

fmart1
Runner

@LizFitbit I've been waiting for 2 years now! I would buy it and recommend it to my students if that feature was added!

Please, hurry and add it. If devices much simpler have it, it shouldn't be that hard! And for users that don't want a "smart alarm" they could choose a fixed time alarm instead, like you can do in other devices. 

ItsMeAshleyT
First Steps

I would love a smart alarm that wakes me up in the best sleep stage. I would love to be able to tell it that I need to wake up no later than 9 AM and have it wake me up anytime before that in a light sleep stage. It would prevent grogginess tremendously! 

osoliva
First Steps

Allow fitbit to wake me up when I´m in the sleeping stage "light" or tending towards "awake", in a certain perior. Ex: Fitbit wakes me up with a vibration in the period between 6:00 and 6:30 when my sleep is the lighter, so I wake up refreshed.

sivadiva
First Steps

Hi all, I used my Versa for the first time last night and thought I'd had a brainwave. .but someone's already had it, 5 years ago,  and it hasn't been implemented. ...yet!  It's always said that it's better to wake up during light sleep.  But how do we know when we're in light sleep? Versa does.  So I too am suggesting a feature that allows an alarm within a time window set by the user,  and Fitbit sounds that alarm when light sleep and the set time window (by the user) coincide.  There would also have to be a default last time the alarm would just go off,  as a failsafe to prevent oversleeping. 

andreyunugro
Stepping Up

This feature still not available in fitbit charge 3 (new release). I have confirmed it via instagram comment to official fitbit account.

Please Fitbit, build this feature.

Thank you.

heismant
Recovery Runner
I so disappointed because new charge 3 don't has it. I had hoped that new device has it...
Vollpfoschte
Jogger

Fitbit can't be serious here. I mean, it's ridiculous! Sleep cycle alarm is requested since 2013. Other smartwatches already have that feature. Even some mobile phones do, like other users already mentioned. Fitbit watches and bracelets monitor our sleep anyway, and yet, after 5 years, we still don't have that feature. Does Fitbit even care what their customers want?

It requires a few lines of code!

And if they're worried that it won't work properly, they could still display a warning that it might not work as expected. But at least show us that you care and try!

I really expected my Ionic being equipped with that feature... Well, my mistake for not researching properly, but still frustrating.

Nono_Mfd
Jogger

I had a jawbone with that feature. It was so nice to wake up at the right time !

Fitbit doesn’t seem to at least show consideration for that demand which was first asked in 2013... can someone tell me which alternative to Fitbit there is now with that feature ? Thx ! 🙂

gillianjo
Jogger

I would be with Jawbone for this feature if they were still being supported.  

GMoney66
Recovery Runner

Jawbone still works, even though support is no longer available, get one the smart alarm function is great.

Got my Mi Band 3 last week, absolutely love it.

The GOOD: Light as a feather and you hardly know you're wearing it, support for Whats App out of the box, HR monitor as accurate as my HR chest strap, battery lasts a week or more even with HR being taken every minute, does everything my charge 2 does now.

The BAD:  There appears to be no smart alarm function though 😞 I can't test if there is or not because my bloody dogs keep waking me up at 4:15 every morning, and I get up with them, when I am on holidays I'll give it a test and report back.

G

geez
Jogger
I email Mi band directly and they said no smart alarm.

Some of jawbone personnel regrouped into jawbone health. I will email them
and beg them to release those jawbones. I bought 4 on eBay and Amazon and
all had batteries too old to hold or take a charge.

I don't want a thing that needs cell phone or tablet to be on while you
sleep to send info to. I want a jawbone that works.

Fitbit please did that feature
fmart1
Runner

MI band doesn't have it directly through the MI app, but you can install another app called MiBandMaster and configure the smart alarms in the band this way. Seemed to work for me!

GMoney66
Recovery Runner

MI band doesn't have it directly through the MI app, but you can install another app called MiBandMaster and configure the smart alarms in the band this way. Seemed to work for me!

Thanks, I'll try it now. I use Snore Lab beside my bed now, so running it via the app shouldn't be a drama for me.

G

GMoney66
Recovery Runner

"MI band doesn't have it directly through the MI app, but you can install another app called MiBandMaster and configure the smart alarms in the band this way. Seemed to work for me!"

Got the app, ios, can't see any "smart alarms" in any of the options, care to let me know where thanks.

G

BrunoJenso
First Steps

Yes please for this - I have a Versa and assumed Smart Alarms would be there. Please include asap as this is a very weird omission.

Giampi71
5K Racer

I'm adding my request for this very important feature. Since Fitbit has a wonderful sleep tracking it really makes sense to add smart sleep.

DUCKI3S
First Steps

I second this request, and with my experience in programming, this feature doesnt seem to be hard to implement. In the basic just a simple loop.

fmart1
Runner

This has been since March 2018 under consideration... how much longer do we need to wait? It's just a very simple feature, and really useful to wake up as refreshed as possible, which is actually the best way to feel great to go and do your workout. I tried a Smart Alarm and it changed my life. I'm currently sleeping with two wristbands, one just for the smart alarm, and it's a real hassle. I want to have all in one, and not my arms full of stuff when I sleep. Please, Fitbit, ADD IT ASAP!

Mescalito
First Steps

Same suggestion here. I hate being awakened in the middle of the REM cycle! Please figure out a way to allow Fitbit users to have an option of a flexible alarm time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.