Smart Alarms that Wake You More Naturally (eg. in Light Sleep Stage)

I just got my Fitbit flex and I think it's fantastic.  If it monitors your sleep though it will have a good idea of when you're in deep (REM) sleep and when you're in lighter sleep.  You cycle between these two during the night on a pretty reliable pattern, and they're easy to tell apart as you don't move around while you're in REM sleep.  At least not as I understand things.

Could an update for the Fitbit modify the alarm feature please to wake you up as close as possible to your chosen time, but NOT during REM sleep?

This will allow you to wake more naturally, feeling refreshed, rather than how unpleasant it is when your alarm goes off in REM sleep.

Thanks, please all vote for this :smileyhappy:

Moderator edit: labels.

1,221 Comments
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Yes @fmart1 @Elliekennard, this feature is planned to roll out to the Versa family of devices sometime after Versa 2 release.

Kulturni_Jelen
First Steps

Hello,

What about Alta HR devices ? Will they get smart sleep feature?

JC_Preston
Jogger

I just got the Charge 3 and I would really like this feature to be introduced in a near future update 👍🏻🤞🏻

mmellowmushroom
Recovery Runner

After purchasing 2 different FitBit models I’m increasingly disappointed that I must continue augment the application of such a popular and well known product with 3rd party or separate apps in order to fully utilize one of its intended purposes- sleep tracking and improvement! Why only make a smart alarm that wakes during the most ideal sleep stage available by product and NOT incorporate it into the app itself for all products is poor business judgement.  Unless it’s a slick way to get those serious about sleep to spend more money with FitBit? And that thought has me now considering an Apple Watch.  FitBit has been around long enough now that not being intelligent enough to incorporate the features that competitors have is just plain silly.  Smart alarms for sleep stages, sleep notes to track and improve environmental effects etc. I’m disappointed.

fmart1
Runner

@LizFitbit Thank you. As for the "sometime after", are we talking weeks, months of years?

Crader
Jogger

When will this feature come to the charge3? I've been waiting for a long time. Through three fitbits.

Hypnognito
First Steps

I can't believe this is not yet an incorporated feature. I have bought my Fitbit with the sole purpose of having a smart wake up alarms. The last thing I expected is for the feature to be inexistant... Very dissapointed. 

I may buy the Dreem band just for that and let go of the fitbit

Guibby
First Steps

6 years later and still a great suggestion! Please Fitbit!

atomicpulz
First Steps

Still waiting on this to be released, not sure why they didn't release it with the Versa launch as the software and technology was already there. 

Now that Versa 2 is launching it's as if they remembered about this feature and are now like "oh crap we forgot to add this to the Versa too."

Anyways I hope we get the feature soon for Versa. 

0jesuslara
First Steps

Some fitness trackers have a smart alarm feature in which it will go off in your light phase of sleep in a selected interval, so it will be easier to wake up and much more energized.

For example, you set an alarm for 7:00am and a 30 minute interval, if it detects you are in a light phase between 6:30am and 7:00am it will go off. There are some apps that do this based on movement. The Jawbone UP3 is a fitness tracker that had this feature, but it also used heart rate for more accurate readings.  

Runtastic Sleep Better: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runtastic.android.sleepbetter.lite&hl=en_US

Sleep Cycle: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sleep-cycle-smart-alarm-clock/id320606217?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

JohnnyRow
Cosmic Hurdler

Smart wake alarm has already been announced as coming, but no date given yet.

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @0jesuslara, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us about an smart alarm feature based on the sleep stages detected, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is currently marked as "Released". This helps maintain the Community and the Feature Suggestion board more organized.

This will be released with the new Versa 2 watch, but as it was mentioned earlier, it is planned to roll out to the Versa family of devices sometime after Versa 2 release. 

KlimentToshkov
Strider

I suggest that the Charge may fire off the scheduled alarm up to 20 minutes prior to scheduled time if it detects that the sleep is in light stage.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @KlimentToshkov, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option on your Fitbit. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released". You can learn more about here. Keep adding your suggestions!

sevrens
First Steps

I mostly use my Fitbit Versa 2 for sleep tracking. But it is strange that although Fitbit is one of the better sleep trackers, it does not offer a built in alarm with gentle wake - an alarm that wakes you during light sleep. I know there are apps that do this, but I assume they will reduce battery since they have to run all night long. And extended battery life is also another reason I chose Fitbit. Fitbit, you need to further develop your alarm. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @sevrens, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released". You can learn more about here. Keep adding your suggestions!

zinsy23
Jogger

Fitbits have the ability to detect what stage of sleep/wakefulness we are in. I think it would be convenient if we could set alarms within a time range and have it go off based on when we're awake within that time range. It'll likely make it easier for people to get up, even if they don't like getting up early.

If don't happen to be considered "awake" within that time range, then go off at the last acceptable minute within the range instead. I'd personally set the range to be about 90 minutes since that's about the length of a sleep cycle. People should have a choice though.

Percula
Base Runner

This was talked about for the Versa 2 at release as “coming soon”...

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @zinsy23 @Percula, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your posts here as it was released.

JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone! I'm glad to confirm the release of this feature with the next update for the Ionic and Versa family of smartwatches. Please make sure to update your devices as soon as you receive the notification on the app. 

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, hope you're doing well. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released on the new 4.1 firmware update for the Versa family and Ionic smartwatches. Make sure to update your watch as described here.

We hope you all enjoy this new feature on your smartwatches and keep adding your suggestions!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.