Smart Alarms that Wake You More Naturally (eg. in Light Sleep Stage)

I just got my Fitbit flex and I think it's fantastic.  If it monitors your sleep though it will have a good idea of when you're in deep (REM) sleep and when you're in lighter sleep.  You cycle between these two during the night on a pretty reliable pattern, and they're easy to tell apart as you don't move around while you're in REM sleep.  At least not as I understand things.

Could an update for the Fitbit modify the alarm feature please to wake you up as close as possible to your chosen time, but NOT during REM sleep?

This will allow you to wake more naturally, feeling refreshed, rather than how unpleasant it is when your alarm goes off in REM sleep.

Thanks, please all vote for this :smileyhappy:

Moderator edit: labels.

1,221 Comments
ribogushter
Jogger

At this point I guess the only way we can get some kind of response is if we start calling the help lines and asking for it.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Ive thought about doing that. Maybe we should all start spaming them to add
this feature. The device is more the capable.
SLEEPCYCLEALARM
First Steps

Hi! Im new to fitbit. I was originally very excited about the 'sleep' function because I assumed that it had this kind of function. Ir seems like a small leap from tracking sleep to waking one up at ideal times according to the data. Apps exist already that do so, but i have had issues with them because they cannot sense my sleep cycle well simply through my phone. Only once have i had it done well, but the app was expensive so i chose to let it expire after the free trial ended. Now as a college student, i would pay any amount to get that kind of service back. People who work long and erratic hours have a hard time keeping a regular diet, exercize, and sleep schedule. That is why we find fitbit valuable. An alarm like this would be a very important adjustment to people like me, who have to set dozens of alarms daily. I look forward to this feature becoming available as a software update.

BrArweeFSC
First Steps

I agree... it's a shame that you have sleep monitoring and not have a sleep cycle alarm... 

TheDoylee
First Steps

Please add this feature. It's totally possible with a software update! Impress us 🙂 

Radiiim
Jogger

Take a look at TOP feature suggestions, there are 3, 4, 5 years old under consideration or not currently planned features, so i think that this company is not able to do something what fitbit community wants. My next device will definitely not be a Fitbit device.

zefx
Jogger

This has been suggested so many times.... Is there a definitive answer on why this hasn't been implemented?

MegMcBoone
First Steps

Any updates on this suggested feature? I had a Pebble Time Steel and the smart alarm it had was amazing. Since Fitbit bought out Pebble over a year ago, you would think they would be figuring out how to implement it on their equipment by now. I really think it would be a competitive advantage for a Fitbit Watch.

Hoosierscolts
First Steps

Any update here? Fitbit please give us some sort of an update! We want to stay loyal Fitbit customers, but the lack of transparency here is making it tough! 

spryem
First Steps

Afraid I'm pretty much already gone...

RobbTong
First Steps

I've been a big fan of Fitbit and decided to go for you over Jawbone. I love that you can now track your sleep properly, but can you make the Silent Alarm smart so it doesn't wake you up during deep or R.E.M. Sleep like the Jawbone does?

I think this is a great feature and the only one munch fitbit blaze is missing. 

UgurSeker
First Steps

Hello,

I am using Fitbit charge 2 and very pleased. Thank You for your product that well motivate me

I have a question or request. I am using silent alarm to wake up. Is it possible to set, “wait, if I am in a deep sleep” It will be valuable for me and may be for humanity

Regards

Ewelinakam
First Steps

Come on Fitbit, you are losing clients because of this!

GMoney66
Recovery Runner

Umm, pretty sure FitBit doesn't care it doesn't have this feature at all, and will not likely implement it ever, they had had the opportunity to do so with recently released devices but choose not to. Go buy a UP3 if you want that functionality and just wear that at night.

G

patrickhays2
First Steps
@GMoney66

Considering their silence/non-responsiveness on the issue, I’d say you’re probably right.
paperinik
Tempo Runner
Elliekennard
Tempo Runner

And that post only has 12 votes for the feature! I just voted, perhaps everyone on this thread should vote...

Elliekennard
Tempo Runner

You would think they would have told us here on this one.... Which has 34 pages of comments instead of that brand new one.

Sinish
Jogger

Since I moved from Jawbone to Fitbit my wake ups have been horrible in the morning. Like today. Woke me up while I was in the middle of REM. I'm not sure why Fitbit doesn't add this feature, since it already tracks sleep stages. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I am dumping my Ionic on eBay and closing Fitbit account.

This lack of engagement from the company with its customers just sealed it.

Not to mention data privacy concerns. I am sure this telemetry data collected will bite you in the backside some day.

I have already ordered Pebble 2 HR, which can be synced with the Android phone using gadgetbridge app and will use Sleep As Android to get my Sleep Cycle alarm feature. Without syncing anything to the cloud.

Sayonara.

MegMcBoone
First Steps
@RFJA Fitbit bought out Pebble over a year ago and they recently announced that they will no longer provide tech support for Pebble after June of this year. https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/24/16928792/fitbit-smartwatch-pebble-end-support-date-june
It’s a real shame, Pebble’s features are great and should be merged with Fitbit, not put to rest. (But what do I know, I’m just the average consumer...)

Sent from my iPhone
MegMcBoone
First Steps

@RFJA Fitbit bought out Pebble over a year ago and they recently announced that they will no longer provide tech support for Pebble after June of this year. https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/24/16928792/fitbit-smartwatch-pebble-end-support-date-june
It’s a real shame, Pebble’s features are great and should be merged with Fitbit, not put to rest. (But what do I know, I’m just the average consumer...)

ribogushter
Jogger
paperinik

Runner

They said in a different thread that it's not going to happen.: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/A-silent-alarm-option-that-wait-if-You-are-in-de...

Wow! THANK YOU for this! I just can't understand why these people couldn't answer in this thread that has 4000+ votes... If I knew this, I wouldn't have wasted months of my life investing in the Fitbit ecosystem... Which is otherwise very, very nice...

doubleutf
First Steps

I bought the Charge 2 for the sole purpose of sleep tracking, assuming a smart alarm would be a natural component of the sleep tracking feature.  HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.  Seriously, this thread is over 4 years old, how is this not yet incorporated in the product? 

Elliekennard
Tempo Runner

If only the 4000 votes here could have migrated there where they are counting them! They seem to have completely ignored these. @MaginB

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.