Track Macros in App (daily carbs/protein/fat intake)

The browser log shows a breakdown of your macros for the day, and this is extremely useful, but it is absent in the app. For many people, including myself, it's not only important to track your calorie intake for the day, but also your macronutrient intake (carbohydrates, protein, and fat). When I'm considering my next meal or planning my food for the day, I want to know how much of each macronutrient I have eaten so far, so I don't go overboard. As a busy individual, most of my food logging is done through the app. However, I can not track my macronutrients through the app, which makes it hard for me to regulate my intake.

Here is an example of the "daily totals" macro tracker on the Fitbit browser log:

macros.png

Extremely helpful. Not only does it show how many grams of each macro I've consumed for the day, but it also shows the percentage of my daily consumption for each macro. The aforementioned is a fabulous feature because I split my daily macro targets into percentages (ie; 30% carbs, 35% fat, 35% protein). This allows to see me where I'm at so far, or even log everything I INTEND to eat and see where that would leave me. Then, I can make adjustments. Really a great feature.

But, again, it's not available on the app. And I think it's really important that this be added, for several reasons:

• A lot of people log most of their food through the day via app because of time restrictions/lack of access to a computer.
  • Real time macronutrient tracking helps everyone to meet their goals and adjust planned meals based on where their macronutrients currently stand.
  • Macronutrient tracking is just as important as calorie tracking. We need a balance of macronutrients to be happy and healthy.
  • Easily accessible (app) macronutrient tracking will help people to see patterns in their diet which are causing them to fall short of what they need, therefore helping them improve their diet.
  • Diet and what you eat is just as important as how many calories you consume. Being able to see the macronutrient numbers alongside the calorie numbers will help people become more aware of their diet.

Please give us macronutrient tracking in the app! It's such a wonderful feature of the browser log, and should definitely be prioritized for including it in the app log. Fitbit is an amazing product and can really help people turn their lifestyles around for the better, and adding the macronutrient tracker to the app will only further help those who need direction in the area of diet.

Moderator Edit: updated subject for clarity & Labels

873 Comments
eleonidovichb
First Steps
Please, we need grams as the primary data. Percentages are secondary.
AdamKos
Jogger

Hi - with all due respect people shouldn't be saying "we" when it's their own opinion or personal need here.   For anyone on a variable intake diet where you eat more/less depending on your physical activity or workouts (ie calories in vs out using your Fitbit) then grams don't make any difference. As long as you're eating enough calories in the right proportions based on your macros (percentages) then you manage your diet from there.  

While I can appreciate some people are on a diet where no matter what... they are not to consume more than "x grams" of whatever, I respect that. 

But please, don't speak on behalf of everyone with your own opinions of how the app should work. 

Thanks - and good luck to everyone trying to stay fit and healthy!

eleonidovichb
First Steps
Both, percentages and absolute values are important for different people.
Both are shown in the browser log. There's no reason this should be any
different in the app. No one is arguing to get rid of percentages. The OP
asked for the same macro tracker available in the browser to be available
in the app. "We" are just supporting the OP's request.
tonypalmer
Keeping Pace

Right on, @eleonidovichb, @AdamKos, one point of clarification: It's not necessarily a diet choice driving this request. People actively managing diabetes need an accurate carb count at every meal. I'm glad you're getting what you need out of the app. 

Liz80
First Steps

I would find this helpful in the mobile app. Especially if fiber + net carbs could be added. Keto dieters and diabetic folks would love this sort of accessibility.

As it stands I'm not even logging food with Fitbit, only outside apps, then adding the general callory count at the end of the day into the Fitbit app. It's a clumsy process.

I haven't even thought to log on to a computer for Fitbit yet. It seems counterintuitive to me, with all the smart mobile features Fitbit offers, to have to plop down in front of a computer in order to enjoy all of them.

TessaLee
Recovery Runner

Much agreed! As I'm exploring the ketogenic diet, I need to know how many grams of carbs, fat, and protein I'm consuming. Percentages are useless to me without knowing the total in grams!

Piccapii
First Steps

I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but I really REALLY also want grams but in the macros instead of just the percentages.  Percente are helpful but not helpful when working out how many carbs etc. you can still eat for the day. 

This morning I logged a teaspoon of 'coconut oil' so my macros were 100% fat. In this instance it's totally skewing my perception of how balanced my diet is. 

A lot of people are doing a keto diet or something similar where you need to stay under 20 grams of carbs. Other pepole trying to bulk up or maintain their weight need a certain amount of grams of fat and protein each day. Percentages aren't helpful for this without using a math formula as well to work out the grams.  

Please please please add this, it would really be awesome! 

dogweather
Recovery Runner

I work around this with a couple of add-ons:

1. The FitBitKeto Chrome plugin 

2. The https://www.ketobit.com web app I wrote to show how over/under 20 net carbs I am

Claire22
Runner

i would like to see a way of at any time of day & especially at the end of the day to see totals so far of all my macronutrients like carbs fats proteins of the foods i have logged on the ios app. 

also to add sugar to tracking macronutrients on the ios app

also change macronutrients to grams from percentage or at least have option to change between the two 

Bikesandcars
Jogger

Why is this even an issue / vote?  It is so easy to do it is a no-brainer.  Anyone who cares enough to enter their daily dietary selections of COURSE wants the gram splits and other dietary feedback.   The stretch goal for fitbit should be a cross-connection to different ideals/plans, lets say USDA, Paleo, Vegan, etc and a comparison for all kinds of vitamins and nutrients and suggestions for additional foods for the day or week to help meal plan.  If I can enter data via the mobile app and I can see it on the website we know all the info is being shared and gathered.  It should be available through the app.    

Pinkcadillac
Jogger

Please add more detailed macronutrient information to the app. I need to track, in detail, my protein, sodium, potassium and phosphate intake. It would be very helpful to see this in the phone app. Thank you.

bombsfadeaway
Stepping Up

I would like to see this feature added to the app as well- I need to track my sodium, potassium and magnesium daily in addition to carbs/fat/protein, and not having to wait until I get home to my computer would be very convenient.

JRMA1985
Jogger

I use the food logging a lot and one thing I find a pain in the app is that it only shows the macronutrients in percentage. While this is good, being a bodybuilder you have to look at the grams of carbs and protein per day being consumed. The app shows a percentage which helps but at a glance is hard to workout. 

The workaround to this is log into the website food logger and the daily summary shows the grams which is good. Would be great to bring this to the app! Maybe allow the user to toggle by a tap between percentage and grams. 

Thanks 🙂 

StephenWA
Jogger

Bummer that this has been a request for so long, but no action has been taken.  It should relatively quick and easy to add macro amounts for carbs, fat, and protein.  The info is being captured to calculate the % and it is available via the website.

amorrissey44
First Steps

While I love the fact that fitbit tracks food, calories, and macronutrient ratio, I wish there was a screen that showed TOTAL consumption of any given nutrient in grams.  Specifically protein.  I might know that my diet is 30% protein, but I don't know how much protein in grams I've consumed unless I manually add it up.  A feature that did this for me would be awesome!

packguy1
First Steps

@lucyjenkins wrote:

Do you think Fitbit for iOs should be able to track Macros? Leave your thoughts!

Yes! I just got my Charge 2 last week and so far really like the app, but it needs more macronutrient information. My fitbit for ios has macro percentages OVERALL for the day but I would like to know % by meal. Also per meal and per day how many grams of carbs, fats, proteins! 🙂

The data should all be there, it just needs to have an option to display it. 

mandagray88
First Steps

Please add net carbs to the app. This would be so helpful for those of us tracking macros for keto and low carb. 

ebethw81
First Steps

It would be great to be able to see the grams of macro nutrients totals for the day on the food log. It would also be great to be able to input the time you are eating to see a pattern with eating occasions. I'm an RD that works in weight management and recommend food logging apps often. Not having the macro nutrient totals is a challenge. 

averyce
First Steps

I am an avid fitbit user of 3+ years but I am sad to see this feature has still not been added after an ongoing forum for (also) the past 3+ years! I've begun to use My Fitness Pal for this reason but would much rather stick to Fitbit if possible, which currently it is not. I also feel like it would be a beneficial and (relatively?) easy change! Anyways, put simply, I really hope we can easily track macros in the near future (protein, fat, carbohydrates) on the Fitbit mobile app. 

Status changed to: Released
MarlenS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

We are happy to announce that macronutrient breakdown is now available on Fitbit app version iOS 2.35, Android 2.46, and Windows 2.21. After logging food in the Fitbit app, you'll see an estimate of your daily macronutrients breakdown (total carbohydrates, fat, and protein consumed) in addition to your caloric intake. Tracking your macronutrients can help you get a better view of your overall nutrition. Learn more about our food logging features and follow these instructions on how to update your Fitbit app.

JRMA1985
Jogger

I have Android with app version 2.56 and I don't see anything different. You have the breakdown shown in percent but this not what I asked for. The community wants to see the grams per macronutrient breakdown.

packguy1
First Steps

Awesome! Can't wait to try it out! My Fitbit app is on version 2.37 on iOS. I checked in app store and there are no other updates. You noted the new version is 2.35? I will give it a day or so to see if the app store updates my app to one that shows breakdown in grams per macro.  Thank you,

Sent from my iPhone

BMcc
Recovery Runner
This is not a new release and is still not what users want! We want to see our macros in grams not percentages
Pinkcadillac
Jogger

I just updated my FitBit app on my Android and I don't see where there is a breakdown in grams, only percentage. I want the specificity of a breakdown in grams of carbs and grams of protein. This has not been implemented. 

averyce
First Steps
I also agree about seeing grams versus percentages!
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.