Track Macros in App (daily carbs/protein/fat intake)

The browser log shows a breakdown of your macros for the day, and this is extremely useful, but it is absent in the app. For many people, including myself, it's not only important to track your calorie intake for the day, but also your macronutrient intake (carbohydrates, protein, and fat). When I'm considering my next meal or planning my food for the day, I want to know how much of each macronutrient I have eaten so far, so I don't go overboard. As a busy individual, most of my food logging is done through the app. However, I can not track my macronutrients through the app, which makes it hard for me to regulate my intake.

Here is an example of the "daily totals" macro tracker on the Fitbit browser log:

macros.png

Extremely helpful. Not only does it show how many grams of each macro I've consumed for the day, but it also shows the percentage of my daily consumption for each macro. The aforementioned is a fabulous feature because I split my daily macro targets into percentages (ie; 30% carbs, 35% fat, 35% protein). This allows to see me where I'm at so far, or even log everything I INTEND to eat and see where that would leave me. Then, I can make adjustments. Really a great feature.

But, again, it's not available on the app. And I think it's really important that this be added, for several reasons:

• A lot of people log most of their food through the day via app because of time restrictions/lack of access to a computer.
  • Real time macronutrient tracking helps everyone to meet their goals and adjust planned meals based on where their macronutrients currently stand.
  • Macronutrient tracking is just as important as calorie tracking. We need a balance of macronutrients to be happy and healthy.
  • Easily accessible (app) macronutrient tracking will help people to see patterns in their diet which are causing them to fall short of what they need, therefore helping them improve their diet.
  • Diet and what you eat is just as important as how many calories you consume. Being able to see the macronutrient numbers alongside the calorie numbers will help people become more aware of their diet.

Please give us macronutrient tracking in the app! It's such a wonderful feature of the browser log, and should definitely be prioritized for including it in the app log. Fitbit is an amazing product and can really help people turn their lifestyles around for the better, and adding the macronutrient tracker to the app will only further help those who need direction in the area of diet.

Moderator Edit: updated subject for clarity & Labels

873 Comments
Jamf
Jogger
That's awesome! It'll be a great addition to the app!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Leilei
First Steps

It would be helpful if the app easily tracked carbs and protein intake and set goals.

Kacerz114
First Steps

Needs to track Cholesterol too!

Lakiamia
Jogger

There already is.  When adding custom foods, change the settings from "simplified view" to "detailed view."

AuntyWops
Premium User
Jogger

I use MyFitnessPal for food logging which tracks the total nutritional makeup & syncs with FitBit & vice versa

glamvamp
Jogger

looks like people have been asking for macros on the app for quite some time.  i really hope this is considered soon.  it would be a major addition to what we're all doing and working towards.  how hard can it be to add to the calories tile in the app when it's already available on the site?  please, please work on this.  thank you.

Bradlyp
First Steps
Hey,

I replied a few days ago mentioning that I had spoken directly with Fitbit
about this. Based on the feedback from this forum they started work on
reorganizing the app to include macros last year. The response I got hinted
at a spring release for an update. Thanks !
--
Bradly A Petroff
Bradlyp
First Steps
Hey,

I replied a few days ago mentioning that I had spoken directly with Fitbit
about this. Based on the feedback from this forum they started work on
reorganizing the app to include macros last year. The response I got hinted
at a spring release for an update. Thanks !
--
Bradly A Petroff
damaged
Recovery Runner

They are never going to add this, they hate diabetics and fat people. They only love money.

Andraste44
First Steps

It would be great to see Carbs as a "main" option ... the way calories are now (clearly this would need to be optional).  

Some ppl  who do LCHF don't care about calories 

Cridgway
First Steps
great!
Mitchema
Stepping Up

I support this it is really important to see the wider picture not just base calories. For me (diabetic) it is also very important to log sugar.

Hopper8002
First Steps
Yes! Someone says you can do it. I followed their steps and it does not show on the screen how many carbs you took in. I hope they make the change. 

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
FitForLife8
Recovery Runner

I like to see more than just the calorie count. I need to see the other nutrition values. For my current needs, I want to see protein, fat, and carb.

Taie
Jogger

This is a very important feature and we hope to see it implemented soon. 

Kljared
First Steps

Please please PLEASE add a carb counter!  I love my fit bit but need this feature...

maddiemii
Jogger

I track net carbs and while the web site is great because it shows total nutritional content for the day, the mobile app (Android) doesn't. All I can do is enter foods and track total calories. Please beef up the nutrition information in the app to show totals for the day. 

corley95
First Steps

I follow a Ketogenic diet and my macros are one of the most important things required on a daily basis. I would like to see this added to the app.

aurore.t
Jogger

Hello everyone,

I agree with you, I think it's disappointing that the app won't let you track your macros... It's key for tracking health and I'm not so much interested by calories. Hopefully I've found a great app that I recommend you, to track your macros and your health. It's called Foodvisor and it's super easy and fun. All you have to do is take a picture of your food and it gives you the macros in your plate (see screenshots below). I'm addicted to it! It doesn'talways guess the right food but you can modify easily and I think it makes it fun to track your diet 😉

I hope you'll find it useful !
iphone1-0 (1).pngiphone2-0 (1).png
Kljared
First Steps

PLEASE??!!

mdphd2b
Jogger

Please add net carbs - I have been tracking them for 2 years, and I need a way to track the same type of diet in one place. I added the Google chrome plug-in, but that means I have to log in to the website every time. I need this on the FitBit Phone App! The whole point is to have 1 unified app for everything.

Taie
Jogger

All details are on the website, it doesn't make sense that we can't see this in the app.

I tried using other apps, but don't like them. I really hope that FitBit will update the App SOON so that we can all benefit from this feature.

It's not something good to have. It's a MUST have, and the data is there! PLEAAAAAAAAASEEE

DrDaveAM
Premium User
First Steps

Amen to that!  A real-time breakdown of macronutrients on the app would be the final cherry on top of an already great app.  It is very frustrating when I log ALL of my food to have to guess at whether I got all of my protein in for the day for my goal.  The % breakdown between protein/carbs/fat would be nice too, but just having the total amount as in the original post is best.  PLEASE consider doing this for the app.  Thanks!

cjsbabygirl
Recovery Runner

Let's see a daily counter for:

• Vitamin(s)
  • Dairy
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables

I can't believe the FitBit app doesn't have that - we have the water counter, but why not the others?  They're just as important!

Broops100
First Steps

Can we amend the macros in fitbit yet? I can only see posts requesting this feature back in 2013/2015. 

On the dashboard I can see 0 figures. I tap on them but it will not let me set my requirements.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.