Trade in/Upgrade Program

I've been a fitbit user for a little over a year now, receiving one as a gift last Christmas. Now seeing how my flex is so behind the times, I would like to upgrade to one of the HR ones. However, spending another 130-150 is very difficult. Wanting Fitbit to offer an upgrade or trade in program to allow for this to be more affordable.

Moderator Edit: Title & Labels

476 Comments
crabbyab90
First Steps
I think Fitbit needs a trade in program. For example take my Zip that won't turn on anymore and give me 75% of the price of a Zip towards something else (say a Flex). It would be a win win and then I can finally get rid of my broken Zip and get something I really want!
samanthee
First Steps

I would love a trade in Program. I got the Ultra when it first came out odiviously now it's old and doesn't work as well and doesn't sync like the new ones...

sdeleon22
Jogger

That's a fantastic idea because I have had 2 Zips break on me, and the troubleshooting solutions that were suggested did not work. The first one was replaced and the second one broke again recently. Maybe I walk to much?Smiley LOL

Mellee
First Steps

I currently have the fitbit Flex and I love it.Smiley Very Happy  I would like to purchase one of your more sophisticated devices (I have my eye on the One) but can't afford to Smiley Frustrated, at least not for a while. I would love it if you had an upgrade program in place so that people in my situation could trade in a device for a discount toward another device. Perhaps the reclaimed unit could be refurbished or otherwise cannibalized?

nees
First Steps

Some kind of upgrade option for existing charge owners when the charge hr is released would be an excellent customer retention excercise.

stevew_68
Strider

I like that idea

MrXiro
Strider

While I like this idea... it's not really viable in a business sense especially for a very young company such as Fitbit. Even if they did a trade in they most they can give you is about $20 for your used Flex or less. This is based on the trade in values I've seen online for Fitness trackers. Not really worth your time to just trade it in for $20. I'd rather just tie it on my dog and make him a Fitbit account for fun.

AQChase
Jogger

actualy tying to your dog is a great idea. I was thinking that another product marketing opportunity for fitbit would be to create a fitbit for fido. Then you'd really know how much activity your dog is getting and why it's really important to take him out for that long walk.

JoshShnn
First Steps
Garmin has a trade in program and I have stayed with Garmin products because of the programs they offer. If my company had not set up a Fitbit Program I would have went with a Garmin Fit because they offer the trade in programs. I Love my Fitbit, however I would like to be able to keep up with the technology also. Fitbit, if you will offer something to the current users, you will have users for life.
noreend
Stepping Up

I received my FitBit Flex back in July and was extremely excited about the technology.  Even throuh it seems that many of us had to deal with some of the bugs that got worked out.  I am soooo happy to see the latest models, particularly the FitBit Charger HR is a perfect for the workout enthusiasts.  Most of us are curretly wearing the fitbit and a heart monitor to track our work outs. 

I'd really like to see some sort of trade in / trade up opportunity for though of us that would like to purchase the newer models.    I believe if you offered this kind of opportunity you wouldn't lose followers to your competition, but you'd gain more fans.  Would love to see this !!!!

tuneplayer
Jogger

I find that eBay is a great place for finding (and selling) devices like this. I am happy with the old Ultra (and have lost/broken a couple) and eBay is my go-to for replacements. You can also get new or barely used devices for a range of prices if you're willing to research, watch and be strategic about bidding.

Coldinnh
First Steps

Dear Fitbit,

please consider a trade in program like Apple does... A discount given on an upgraded device. The older devices can be blanked and (tax info) donated to school or elderly programs to encourage fitness. Or resold to employer wellness programs. I think u will retain more customers and offer a great product to many who otherwise would not be able to experience Fitbit.

sincerly,

e. Maria Thyng

fanofyanks
First Steps

I too sent a note about this idea....I think there should be an upgrade program for all of your loyal customers that purchased the flex and now you have the charge available. It would be nice if there were a discount or an exchange program.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I wish that Fitbit had a trade- in program too. I have the fitbit flex and would like to get the fitbit charge. Hopefully, one day fitbit will make a program like this. Thanks, Matthew U

@crabbyab90 wrote:
I think Fitbit needs a trade in program. For example take my Zip that won't turn on anymore and give me 75% of the price of a Zip towards something else (say a Flex). It would be a win win and then I can finally get rid of my broken Zip and get something I really want!

amelv
First Steps

I like this idea

ankhwearer04
First Steps

I love this idea!  I was on the initial waitlist for the Flex when it was released in May 2013 and have worn my wrist band every day since I received it!  I am now a new mom and trying to get back into shape and looking to upgrade.  It would be very easy for them to accept the old device and give some sort of discount for newer products.  I think the idea to give old fitbits to schools is a fantastic idea!  I work in a very poor school district and something like that would be wonderful for our students to use.  

Mike101
First Steps

I would love to be able to upgrade from my flex. There are now more advanced trackers from other manufacturers on the market and a trade-in programme would help customer retention and encourage brand loyalty.

ddias
First Steps

My fitbit flex is being replaced with a new flex by the fitbit team, due to recurring problems with syncing and restarting. It would seem that you should be able to grant my request for an upgrade with me paying for the difference in price. Very disappointed.

cpelle
First Steps

Yes, please implement a trade in program.  I used to have the Ultra, then the One.  I lost my One in January and ended up buying a Charge.  I hate the Charge.  I'd rather trade in for another One.   But my Charge works perfectly fine, so I don't want to buy a new fitbit to replace it.

abbem
First Steps

This is a great idea; in fact, I just talked to someone in help about this. I have two Flex devices (I bought one last year, and then when it had issues charging, they sent me a replacement - of course both work great now). I'd love to be able to receive some sort of discount on trading in both devices towards the purchase of a Charge, which is what I'd really love - but after spending $100 on the Flex last year, I don't really want to spend another $150 on a Charge!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
CindyFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @jball40 thanks for stopping by and sharing your idea. We hope we can implement this in our policy in the near future. 

If you have any other great idea like this, don't hesitate in visiting our Feature Request board again. 

See you later! Woman Wink

MzMargrita
First Steps

YES PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a trade in and up option...recycle the old ones like Apple and other cellphone companies.  ALSO need a mini surge! 😄  More band options for Charge HR would be an immediate need...which they were interchangeable like the others.  Mini surge with girlie options for the band.  DO IT....DO IT NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW please! 🙂

bengirl25
First Steps

I would love to see fitbit do something to be able to upgrade from one divice to another. make a compition out of it, do so many many steps or get so many badges and you can upgrade to a bigger or better fitbit, like I have a flex and have been thinking about upgrading to a charge and if there was a way I could win it or work twords that device it would make it more of a challange to move and get that device. you could also just make it an option on other peoples that if they wanted it they could use it and if they want to keep the one that they have then they don't have to use that option.

working_on_it
Jogger

Given my personal experience with the excellent customer support, I'd like to also add the idea that if one is given a free replcement tracker from fitbit (for example, they have a faulty device and fitbit has offered to replace it), that person might have the option to instead use the replacement tracker's brand new value towards an upgrade. So, if someone were to use be given a free replacement Charge from fitbit, and wish to upgrade to a Charge HR, they would only have to pay the $20 difference between the two devices.

I'll also mention that it's probably worth noting that many of the components and materials in these fitbit devices probably degrade over time. So trade in value would probably have to decrease over time, accordingly. And even then some components might not be salvagable.

NiluferK
First Steps

Hello my name is Nilufer K. and I currently have the Fitbit Charge HR and I'm really looking forward to the FItbit blaze. I really hope you guys would consider an upgrade or exchange program where Fitbit users can upgrade their fitbit to the newest item. It is a great way for your continuing customers to keep up with the latest items  if they want it. Kind of how people upgrade their iphones to the newest ones every year because they are able to, and its the newest technology that they have. 

If yall had had this program I would really like to use it and upgrade my fitbit to the blaze. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.