Turn off quick view when I'm sleeping (or at customizable times) aka 'Night Mode'

I love the quick view feature however when I'm sleeping I tend to wave my arms around which activates the display which sometimes wakes me up, especially if my wrist is close to my face.

My fitbit knows when I'm sleeping as it tracks my sleep so how about having the capability to disable quick view automatically whilst I'm sleeping, in fact don't even have it as a selectable option just don't trigger quick view when my fitbit knows I'm sleeping.

Moderator Edit: Edited suggestion title.

1,420 Comments
HampusN
First Steps

Good suggestions Thomas but I’m pretty sure it’s only specific APIs which are allowed to run in the background, it’s not the actual app but rather those built in API stuff like GPS, music and so on. And even if I’m wrong it’s just a lousy workaround because Fitbit doesn’t want to add a simple function that’s highly wanted and a dealbreaker for me when I’m looking at new devices for me and my wife. 

I mean, how hard can it be to add something an if condition to the Quick view event

If ($Quickview -eq $true -and $Time -ne $Nightmode) { Start-Quickview }

sorry for the powershelling but its the only language I can :))

katam
Base Runner

Ok, not that I have any hope that Fitbit will bother to fix this problem, but the discussion regarding implementation caught my attention.

I believe phone OS is beside the point.  The device functions on its own, out of range of a phone.  Few functions depend on the phone being near.

A programming change that affects how your device works would therefore have to be a firmware update to the device.  There have been firmware updates to my Charge 2 in the past year.

Data the device has available to it: the time & your current settings.  So, if you add 2 new setting fields to indicate Blackout time start & end, the device can disable various functions during that period.  Each of those functions (Tap to Wake, Quick View, Notifications) would have to check the current time against those two new settings, but that's a one-line change in code for each.

Obviously, it could be a bit more complicated (i.e. useful), with separate Start & End times for days of the week (or weekdays vs weekends).  And a new Menu Item to turn Blackout on & off (like Notifications).  So, then write a simple function to evaluate & return the state of Blackout, based on these settings & the time.  Then the affected functions (Tap to Wake, Quick View, Notifications) can quickly check it before acting. 

Of course, we have no idea exactly how much memory is available to add this stuff, but a simple implementation isn't very costly.

This chat makes me want to hack my Fitbit...

spelbound
Jogger
The device already has timer/clock function. It clearly has screen on/off function. Combing the two would require a fairly simple update. This is just laziness. If this was a capability/firmware issue then they should come out and say so. Instead, silence.

Get Outlook for Android
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

While I don't really see a legitimate reason for Fitbit to be ignoring this request that so many people are asking for, I don't think it's correct to accuse them of laziness. More likely this is a decision based on whether ignoring this request will garner them more new device purchases or lose them more customers. I'm sure they aren't worried about losing customers over this single missing feature on older devices.

I feel they would gain a significant amount of extra customer loyalty if they were to actually respond satisfactorily to our request, but they obviously don't think so.

RomanDA
First Steps

Auto-off when sleeping, or at a set time frame. 

Having the watch "light up" the whole bedroom in the middle of the night when I trying to sleep is no fun.
Would love to be able to turn it off at night.

DarkPurpleInk
First Steps

This would be amazing. I think about this ALL the time. Probably every night. I LOVE quick view but I toss and turn a lot at night due to sleep issues and the backlight is blinding when its pitch black. 

Vegiemite
First Steps

Regarding the Blaze, I'll add another vote for either an auto (from when it is tracking sleeping data) or manual (able to set hours) sleepy time mode that keeps the device face off altogether (unless manually pressing a side button - if I do wake up and want to know the time).

Oli231
First Steps

Have a cut off point at night (set by the user) when the watch doesn’t flash the time up you turn your wrist to avoid it lighting up by accident in the middle of the night 

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Oli231, thank you for your feedback! I have merged your comment here, as we already had an existing feature regarding this topic.

Have a great day!

Steve.spb
First Steps

I'm finding that while asleep my Versa burns through greater than 50% of its battery life, presumably due to the screen coming on.  I have disabled Quick View, yet many times I will wake up during the night to find the screen on.  Can a feature be added to the app to disable both the double screen tap and the side buttons to wake the screen while sleeping?  It would seem that adding such a feature would both decrease the charging frequency and increase battery longevity.  

PepeTraca
First Steps

Completely agree!

GigiDuru
Recovery Runner

What a shame, after 4 years it's not implemented this simple function?

Steve.spb
First Steps

@LuciaFitbit what existing feature do you already have on this topic?!?

people have been requesting a feature for YEARS that fitbit isn’t providing 

Rumpfuttock
Recovery Runner

@LuciaFitbit what are you talking about please? Give us a link if it exists. No one else has seen it.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I suspect @LuciaFitbit meant "Feature Suggestion", not actually feature. My guess is that @Oli231 made a new Feature Suggestion for this same sort of feature @LuciaFitbit decided to convert that Feature Suggestion to a comment on this one instead.

payson4
First Steps

I have the Versa and it turns on in the middle of the night and wakes me up, as my hand is near my head.  It's really annoying.  I have read different ideas on the forum, but there is no "manual' to turn it off.

Mikeston
Jogger

Here is a re-post of the link to download the Charge 2 screen cover 3D print file. I created this as I was so fed up with waking. Just clips on and off when needed. 

I have uploaded the 3D file to Thingiverse so that anybody that wants it can have it.

Print it out in black ABS and get some sleep Smiley Happy

Thingiverse file link click here

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I can strongly recommend this screen cover. Great job @Mikeston.
And again: shame on you Fitbit.

Thomas
Cebee
Recovery Runner

I just ordered the screen cover.  Was pretty simple process, and I'm looking forward to receiving it.  Thank you so much @Mikeston !!!

Because I commented on this thread, I get all of your replies by emali, and I want you all to know that after I get about 5-6 replies, I head to Twitter, and I troll Fitbit there, goading them to take note of the numerous comments about this.  However, Fitbit is foolish to the extreme.  I had a positive view of this company until I got ridiculous stock answers to each tweet.  That made me want to tweet them even more.  To my last tweet (all of which are respectful, btw), I received this response:

"You can be assured that our product development teams consults the Feature Suggestion board regularly to ensure we're delivering on what our customers need and want.  It's worth noting that it takes some time for the requests to reach completion.  We'll share news as soon as we're able."

Frankly, compared to prior responses, this was a tome.  However, it's still so dissatisfying, and their PR department must be perpetually out to lunch.  To allow a segment of their customers to complain online without directly addressing the issue makes me question their business model.  They are engendering increasing distrust of the brand with their lip-service.  And it fascinates me that they don't see that.  Further, if there are 500 people who took the time to go online and complain about this, you can be assured that there are 1000s of others who have experienced it but have not taken the time to go online about it. 

What Fitbit doesn't get about THIS problem in particular is that the company has created a feature that actually DISRUPTS SLEEP, when their whole goal is to help us improve our lives, including with better sleep.  It's not just a new feature that we want.  It's a fix to a problem.  That should make it a priority, but it does not seem to be one. 

After this Charge dies or when I decide to get a new fitness tracker, I will not automatically stay with Fitbit, and that's the greatest flaw in their strategy here.  They have not cemented me as a loyal customer, but have shaken the foundations of my loyalty.  It's a shame and a funny way to do business. 

In the meantime, I'll use the excellent work-around that was posted here.  Necessity is the mother of invention, after all. 

DragonflyShimmr
Recovery Runner

I'm being woken up too. It's quite jarring to be blinded in the middle of the night because you moved your arm or turned over. I wish we had the ability to set a night mode for whatever time we choose (some people work different shifts) and it would definitely save battery life as I'm a light sleeper I'm sure I activate my Fitbit several times each night. 

PeterSD
Recovery Runner
Nice way to solve the problem, but it is hillarious that this has to be
done!

FITBIT don´t care at all about customers, that is perfect clear to me after
my contact with Fitbit support and the software team, they never want to
make the changes, and even more, not even the newest trackers are able to
turn off this **ahem**ty feature at night or anything!!

I no longer have my tracker on at night!
Fitbit reply that the tracker never was intended for night use, only for
soprt and excercise, witch also is hilarious when they have made the effort
to add night/sleep tracker to the trackers!!

Perhaps one of these days i will take the time and upload my correspondence
with Fitbit, becource then you can all see for yourself that Fitbit don´t
want to correct the problem at all!

--
Peter
DragonflyShimmr
Recovery Runner

I just thought of another​workaround for this problem. Get a larger band and strap to your leg at night lol!

katam
Base Runner

@DragonflyShimmr   Not a bad idea.  There are ankle bands for the Charge 2 on Amazon.  I haven't bought one yet, so I can't say how well they work.

DragonflyShimmr
Recovery Runner

Thanks @katam I have an Alta HR, but I saw they do sell XL bands for it on Amazon 🙂

cdpage
Base Runner

@SunsetRunner

your right to question their thought process. Do they think spending any time on fixing this mistake is worth keeping customers happy.

doing nothing:

• cost for moderators to moderate this issue 
  • an unmeasurable about of lost return customers (loyalty)
  • an unmeasurable amount of lost referrals (loyalty)

Doing something:

• cost to program (hours)
  • cost to release (nothing?)
  • return customers later (though they've likely lost everyone in this thread already)
  • Referrals (though they have likely lost any of those that would have come from us also)

We know one thing is for certain. FitBit is purposefully ignoring the issue because they continue to move new requests for this issue to this thread.

Otherwise they'd have said something by now. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.