Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Ovulation work in the app

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So after having a little look around the new female health tracking tab I’d  like to ask is this intuitive or is ovulation just guessed at once we input the length of our cycles etc? 

Also, the ‘fluids’ part. One of the most important types ‘water like’ is not included. This particular type gives us clues as to ovulation approaching. Without it, it makes (for me) about a week before ovulation of input impossible. 

I do think if Fitbit are going to do this which could be amazing, then it should be done properly. 

Moderator edit: title for clarity 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey @doctormichySmiley Happy

You bring up a great question on how ovulation is predicted in the app. To help answer, I think you should check out our article: What is female health tracking in the Fitbit app? It touches and provides some insight for you. 

For the additional fluids you'd like to see in the app, I recommend following @Julia_G's suggestion and creating a Feature Suggestion for it. Since its a newly launched feature, we're interested in what else you would like to see. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Hi, @doctormichy, this is a very new venture for Fitbit.  I expect it will be developed further with feedback from users like you.  The moderators do monitor the Community Boards and provide feedback.

You can also add suggestions to the feature request forum.  Tip: be sure to check first if the idea has already been submitted to avoid splitting the vote and to keep the conversation together.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Hey @doctormichySmiley Happy

You bring up a great question on how ovulation is predicted in the app. To help answer, I think you should check out our article: What is female health tracking in the Fitbit app? It touches and provides some insight for you. 

For the additional fluids you'd like to see in the app, I recommend following @Julia_G's suggestion and creating a Feature Suggestion for it. Since its a newly launched feature, we're interested in what else you would like to see. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It uses the Calendar Method, rather than anything that's actually accurate.  For the Calendar Method, you take the average length of the menstrual cycle, subtract 14, and assume that is when you ovulate.  There are several problems with this.  One is that while the luteal phase (second half of the menstrual cycle) averages 14 days for everyone who menstruates overall, and tends to be fairly consistent per person, it is not 14 days for every person.  Mine is 11 days, and years ago it was consistently 10 days.  So Fitbit thinks I ovulate three days earlier than I actually do, and that is if my cycle is the 27 days it averages at.  It is a very basic approach, and at least other apps such as Clue allow you to put in your average luteal phase length, thus allowing a closer estimate of ovulation date.

The next problem is that your cycle is unlikely to be exactly the same every month.  Mine averages 27 days, but I've had anything from 20 days to 36, and I am not considered to have irregular periods.  This means that the guessed fertile period is even vaguer.

You cannot know your ovulation date without more data.  One approach is the Fertility Awareness Method, also known as the symptothermal method.  This involves tracking basal body temperature, cervical fluid, and cervical position in order to know when you are fertile and when you are ovulating.  Some people use ovulation test kits as well. 

It is perfectly possible for an app to use FAM, but few of them do a good job of it, and there is no real way of telling whether the app you are using is good at it, without enough FAM tracking experience to read the charts and see where they are making mistakes.  I have tried a number of apps, inputting three months' data or more, and few of them could work out an ovulation date correctly, even with very clearcut data.

Still, there is no excuse for using the Calendar Method, especially not for an app related to a device that records other body signals so accurately.  Since Fitbit can tell you exactly when you walked around and what your heart rate was doing, people are going to assume it is similarly accurate when it comes to ovulation dates, and that's a serious problem. 

Best Answer

Thanks for this reply @Calathea77 You sum up the female cycle really nicely. I’m currently a couple of months ‘free’ of any artificial hormones and am charting my bbt with a Bluetooth thermomemeter amongst all my other ‘signs’. Just getting to know how my cycle is working out this time. 

I just think a half hearted approach to an otherwise really intuitive app is a complete waste of time and could be really misleading for some who put their faith in their fitbits!

Best Answer

Bringing up a feature request for this particular segment would be irrelevant when @Calathea77 has just pointed out everything else that is missing with this particular feature. 

Keep going though Fitbit and let’s get all kinds of tracking going, for example BBT tracking which is the most informative way of tracking ovulation. 

Best Answer

Bringing up a feature request for this particular segment would be irrelevant when @Calathea77 has just pointed out everything else that is missing with this particular feature. 

Keep going though Fitbit and let’s get all kinds of other ‘signs’ tracked.  for example BBT tracking which is the most informative way of tracking ovulation. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would be THRILLED if this were useful for sympto-thermal tracking! Honestly, that is the only fertility awareness tracking that is valuable to our doctors & can be used for both avoiding and achieving pregnancy. I think that FitBit should reach out to Toni Weschler of Ovusoft/Taking Charge of Your Fertility to create a collaborative app. 
www.tcoyf.com
*I did it (to avoid) for most of 20 yrs. It is accurate and understandable when done according to the TCOYF methods. I also was trained in NAPRO through the Catholic diocese in Augusta, Ga. NAPRO works for those with fairly regular cycles but you have complications when you are breastfeeding or have other health issues involving hormones or choose to use birth control or if you/your partner work swing shifts. The calendar method is not useful for much more than knowing when to expect a period when using BCPs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's nice to see you here @thisbattymomSmiley Very Happy Your ideas are great. Thanks for your amazing feedback, we really appreciate your kind words.

I'd advise to consider visiting our Feature Suggestions board. Look under the label "Female Health Tracking" for existing ideas that might match your own and vote! If not please enter your own suggestion hereYou can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Let me know if there's anything else I may assist you with.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer