Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App communication not working

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got my Ionic a couple of days ago. It set up just fine over Wi-Fi, and I'm able to sync new apps and settings reliably from the phone to the Ionic. However, app communication initiated by the watch doesn't work at all. For example, the weather app has the same data from when it was first installed, and the New York Times and Flipboard apps cannot communicate at all.

I've shut down and restarted the Ionic and the app numerous times. They symptoms didn't change, even when I factory reset the Ionic, and deleted and re-added the watch and deleted and reconnected the Bluetooth pairing.

From what I can see, Bluetooth would be used to get app data, although both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are configured. I haven't seen Wi-Fi being used since the initial firmware upgrade, however. I do sometimes see an active Bluetooth connection on my phone.

Is this a known issue that will be fixed in upcoming firmware upgrade? Thanks.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Best Answer
0 Votes
15 REPLIES 15

A warm welcome to the Community @OldDDM! Thank you so much for all the details you've mentioned regarding the issues you've had with your Ionic as well for the procedures you've tried in order to fix it. In order for your watch to update the information, it needs to sync as this is how it will change the weather and New York Times data. However, it seems you're having a hard time trying to connect your Ionic to your phone. 

At the moment, this isn't a know issue. I would like you to double check you've done this troubleshooting to have a successful sync. Are you still having issues syncing your Ionic? How often does this happens? 

Keep me posted! 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Silvia, thanks for responding.

I want to be clear that the Ionic and the Windows App sync just fine. I can add apps and change settings. My fitness data uploads fine, and notifications work great.

It is true that the weather app will update, when I sync, but I didn't expect that I would need to open the app and manually sync multiple times a day to see the weather. There seems to be a provision for the current temperature to be updated periodically, but that doesn't work, unless I sync. For example, my ionic currently shows the weather temperature from when I manually sync'd yesterday.

Syncing does not make the NYT for Flipboard apps work. Each seems to request data, when it's opened, and both complain that they are unable to get data. I've never gotten it to work, even if I have the app open and active on my phone. I had hoped that I'd be able to read current NYT headlines from my wrist without taking my phone out.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is the way that it's designed, but it doesn't seem very useful to have to get out my phone to sync the weather. I could just look at the weather on my phone. And, I can't get the news apps to work in any case.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, if you think that there's a solution.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @OldDDM! I'm happy to hear that your Ionic is properly syncing with your Windows app as it's properly syncing your information. 

In regards to the weather app, it won't update the weather when the app is closed. You should have turn on location services all the time, so it can properly update it. Regarding the NYT app it will update based in the internet connection and Bluetooth so all day sync must be turn on as well. 

Hope this helps! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Sylvia. Thanks for following up.

I can have the Fitbit open on my phone, and the Weather app still won't update. I have to change a setting or re-install the Weather app to get the weather to update.

I have both Run-in-background and Internet permissions enable for the NYT app. All-day-sync is enabled too. However, the NYT app still doesn't work.

When you say that the NYT app needs an internet connection, I assume that the Ionic connects via Bluetooth to my phone, which provides internet access. I have the Fitbit app enabled to run in background, so that should work at any time, but it doesn't even work with the Fitbit app open on my phone.

In addition I have WiFi configured for the Ionic, when I'm home. However, I've only seen that used once, after initial setup, when one time a full-screen WiFi icon appeared on the Ionic's screen.

I don't know what's wrong. Perhaps it will work better in the next firmware update.

Best Answer

Yes I’m experiencing the same issues.  I have to take out my phone and sync my watch in order to refresh the content in The NY Times and weather app although I have all day sync on.

Best Answer

Still no solution for this problem, Fitbit? I am having the same problem as briefly described above...

Best Answer
0 Votes

A warm welcome to the Community @joerivh! I would like you to make sure you're tried the advice posted on this article How do I set up and troubleshoot apps on my Fitbit watch?

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you Silvia. I verified the steps and can confirm that did not work. But I believe this is a general (and known) issue, right? Is there any user with a fitbit watch synced to a Windows Phone who can use apps that require WiFi (eg. NYT, weather, Maps, Philips Hue, ...)?

Best Answer

@joerivh Thanks for your reply and for trying those steps in order to sort this out.

What mobile device are you using? Is it showing under the list of supported devices? Check if you are using the latest version of the Fitbit app as well.

Also, what version of Windows 10 are you using?  Feel free to update if you have a chance.

Keep me posted!

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

Thank you Santi. I am using a Microsoft Lumia 950 Windows phone and using the Windows UWP app. The Fitbit OS, Windows Phone OS and Fitbit UWP app are running the latest version. So updating is not an option. I tried already resetting, pairing, etc. Nothing helped.
As I read through this Forum, clearly this is a huge issue. As you can read in this active thread, there are lots of people, using the UWP app on a Windows Phone, with the same problem. The title of that topic might suggest this is only a problem for the weather app, but it is a problem for all apps that require data from the phone (leaderboard, NYT, weather, ...). So the problem is the app communication between the companion app (phone) and the Fitbit device. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is frustrating that the NYT app won't work, but, even more so - when, as users - we ARE making this a 'known' issue, but we aren't being acknowledged as doing such. We obviously enjoy our Fitbits, a modicum of validation with an issue many of us have / are having (according to other forums, as well) would go a long way toward making people who have paid a premium for an emerging technology - feel truly appreciated by the company which we chose to do business with.

And more likely to continue to do so going forward.

SMD

Best Answer

@joerivh Thanks for your reply and for sharing that information about your phone. 

A new version of the Fitbit app was released on July 6th (version 2.34). Have you updated to that one? Also, what version of the Windows OS do you have?

@argonne Welcome to the Fitbit forums! Thanks for reporting this too. 

Could you please provide the following information?

• Version of Fitbit app (must the the latest 2.34).
  • Version of Windows OS.
  • Name of all the apps that are not working.

Also, for the rest of the users experiencing this; please reply to me providing the information above. That will be of much help!

Thanks for your patience. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also experiencing issues with the New York Times app. When I select it, the NYT logo will appear but then it goes away and puts me back to the Ionic menu. My syncing is turned on and I'm using the following:

LG VS501.

Fitbit Ionic, Version 27.32.10.20

Best Answer

@Altova Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Thanks for reporting the situation you are experiencing with the NYT app on your watch. 

Have you tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it back to your watch? That could help you out with this.

You could also try restarting your watch. That should certainly help you out.

Try that out and let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried everything, Versa off-Versa on, app is updated, NYT app deleted and reinstalled,  wi-Fi is on and all notifications are on. Still, no new articles appear and have been the same for several days now. It has worked OK for the past year. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes