Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New York Times app on Versa?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I would like to get the NY Times app to work on my Versa but it doesn't seem to want to connect. I have been through the steps to trouble shoot that I found including using All Day Sync and syncing to the phone, but it tries 'Checking for news stories...' and always returns 'Not Connected' and can't connect to my phone (Moto G). I know I can sync OK as a different news app 'Headlines' syncs and work just fine. Anyone using NY Times on a Versa?

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

Hey there @StarkRaven, thanks for stopping by and for already troubleshooting this inconvenience with the New York Times app on your Fitbit Versa. Nice way to go! 

The tips below can help you set up and use apps developed for your watch. If an app doesn't work as expected, try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. In order for apps to access the internet, your phone must be nearby with the Fitbit app running in the background and Bluetooth turned on. Many apps require internet access, such as The New York Times, Nest, Clue, Uber, Walgreens, Yelp, Surfline, and Flipboard.
  2. Check if the app has a pending update. For instructions, see How do I install and manage apps on my Fitbit watch?
  3. Turning off app permissions can cause the app to stop functioning. Check that all permissions are turned on:
    1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon > your device image.
    2. Tap or click Apps.
    3. In the list of apps installed on your watch, find the app whose permissions you want to change. You may have to scroll down to see some apps. Tap or click the name of the app.
    4. Tap or click Permissions.
    5. If any permissions are turned off, turn them on. Note that some permissions can cause your phone to use more data.
    6. Tap or click Save to save your changes.
  4. Your watch must be connected to Wi-Fi in order for some larger apps and clock faces to install or update.

If the New York Times app is still not connecting to your Versa after checking the above, with third party apps, note that Fitbit doesn't own or maintain third party integrations. So, in this case is recommendable to contact the third party developer to learn more about the functionally of the app.

To contact the developer please open their app on the Fitbit App Gallery, scroll/swipe down and under "App Details" you will find the information.

Give this a go and let me know the outcome!  

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

The articles don’t update. I’ve restarted the versa. I’ve uninstalled reinstalled the app. All the settings r correct. Any clues 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @Lewisbl, welcome on board! Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot this already. Smiley Very Happy

Have you checked if New York app doesn't have an update pending? Apps on your watch update automatically over Wi-Fi as needed. Your watch searches for updates when plugged into the charger and in range of your Wi-Fi network. To manually check for app updates:

1. With your watch nearby, on the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon > your device image.
  2. Tap or click Apps.
  3. In the list of apps installed on your watch, find the app you want to check. You may have to scroll down to see some apps. Tap or click the name of the app.
  4. If the app has a pending update, there is a pink Update button next to its name. Click it to update the app.

Also, have you made sure that your watch is properly connected to Wi-Fi? Is your watch syncing to your Fitbit app? Is the New York app the only app that is not syncing/updating?

Give this a go and let me know the outcome! 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank u. I’ve done every thing u suggested plus other things. The app shows news from Wednesday.
I think I’ll just delete the app unless u have some other thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone
A person should be willing to give up all his tomorrows for one today, so that he doesn't end up wasting all his todays on one tomorrow.” –The Alter of Novardik
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for following the tips and recommendations I've provided @Lewisbl. Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the New York Times app? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. I did! Initially had no affect. But later that day the news updated and I recd new news articles as notifications.
It seems to be working intermittently.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Great news @Lewisbl! I'm glad to hear that your app is working now. Thanks for confirming that uninstalling and reinstalling did the trick. 

In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted! Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer

I’m having the same issues here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too am having issues with the New York Times app. I have tried everything you suggested in your previously replies regarding the articles not updating. Do you have any further suggestions for my Versa?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry no...i deleted the app

The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.” – Stephanie Perkins
Best Answer
Thanks! I have not had any issues for the past year so I figured it must be a new issue. I’m afraid I will follow your action too.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Don’t.....i deleted it waited a day and re installed it. It’s working ok now..

The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.” – Stephanie Perkins
Best Answer
0 Votes
I’ll give that a try and see. Nothing to loose. Thanks, I hope it continues working for you.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes