Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the Weather app to sync?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ok, I have tried everything, short of totally "burning down the house" -- doing a factory reset with the Ionic, deleting it from my Fitbit account, uninstalling every instance of the Fitbit software, and then hoping that it might magically make the Weather app work if I start everything from scratch.  I have tried everything short of that, and it simply, utterly will not work when I try to input a city name, and it will not work with my phone's current location.  My Weather app is as dead as a piece of software can be dead.

So, does anyone have it working properly?  I would like to know if it actually works halfway well, before I destroy everything else that I've got working.  And could you also describe how it works?  I have the following questions:

How and when does it sync?  I presume it syncs with your phone, and presumably via Bluetooth.  Is that correct, or might it only sync with whatever Wi-Fi connection you used to set the Ionic up with, to begin with?  And if it does sync via Bluetooth on your phone, how often does it sync?  Is the frequency something you can set?

Mainly, I'm wondering if you can pop into the Weather app, and halfway reliably see what the local temperature is outdoors.  If it only syncs once per hour or less frequent, then I'm not so sure it would be worth the effort.

And so on.  Thanks in advance for letting me know how it works, because I really dread going through the factory reset routine, because I went through a nightmare to get my Ionic set up to begin with.  I really don't want to go through that, if it's not likely to work, or if the app is actually quite lame, and not worth the effort to begin with.

Thanks again!

moderator edit: title for clarity/format

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It's nice to see you around here @Kevintan! Thanks for letting me know those details. Can you please also let me know what's the model of the phone you're syncing with?

As mentioned along this thread. If the weather for your current location doesn’t appear, check that you turned on location services for the Fitbit app. For instructions, see How do I allow the Fitbit app to use my phone's GPS?

If you change locations, sync your device to see your new location in the Weather app.

To change the units used for the temperature in the Weather app:

1. Open the Fitbit app and tap the Account icon > your device image.
  2. Tap Apps.
  3. Tap the gear icon next to Weather. You may need to scroll down to find the app.
  4. In the Temperature Unit section, tap Units and choose the unit you want to use.
  5. Sync your device and then open the Weather app on your device to see the updated units.

Hope this helps, keep me in the loop! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
249 REPLIES 249

My app has been telling me to 'sync the Fitbit app to update' yet when I sync the device over and over again it won't work. It was working yesterday!!

Best Answer

Try closing the app completely and than restarting it. That worked for me!

Community Council Member

Gunny | Richmond, VA (USA)

Ionic Adidas Edition, Versa Special Edition, Aria 2 & Flyer | iPhone & Windows 10

Take a look at the Fitbit Help site for further Assistance & Information.

Best Answer

Closing the Fitbit app on the phone, or the AccuWeather app?

Ionic / iPhone 7+ running iOS 10
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had to go into the settings on the phone app, and go in, and even though it said current location was already selected, I had to save it, then sync again...I also did add a location manually to be sure, so that may have been the trick.

Best Answer

Mine crapped out this morning.  I got my town and dash dash degree sign.  I deleted the locations I had and tried to re enter them.  When I put in the town name, I get a blank screen,  Nothing, nada, zilch.  And before anyone tells me to restart anything, I did, phone, bluetooth, watch, fitbit app.  In addition, I paired and unpaired, deleted the ionic from the app and re added it.  Customer service suggested i uninstall and re-install the Weather app,  But it doesn't give me the option.  It just says install,  there is no Uninstall button.  So, no weather for me I guess. Smiley Sad

And the stupid thing is it was working last night,

Best Answer

My weather app didn't start locating my town until I went outside and let the GPS find out where I was. Once I gave it 5 mins it found my town right away.

Now how do I delete the default town it found?

Best Answer

Ok, that kind of makes sense that it is tied to the GPS.....I'll try that after work today.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I went outside and allowed the GPS to connect for a walk.  When I was done I tried to get the weather app working on the watch it tells me no location information and to go to the app to set it up.  On the app it has no location so I go in to try to get a location and no matter what I enter no cities seem to be available to choose?  Am I doing something wrong?  

Best Answer

The replies have it, the GPS needs to sync up to get this data, so just a reminder to check that..  If it is working, all should be good...  Great replies folks!

Moderator Edit: Format

Community Council Member

Gunny | Richmond, VA (USA)

Ionic Adidas Edition, Versa Special Edition, Aria 2 & Flyer | iPhone & Windows 10

Take a look at the Fitbit Help site for further Assistance & Information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My weather app is no longer syncing. When i open in on the Ionic it says sync with the Fitbit app to update. I sync it and it still does not show me the weather.

Best Answer

For a couple of days after I got my Ionic, the weather app on the Ionic would update to match the town I was in, and I did not have to do anything special for that to happen, it was automatic (I did indicate that I wanted the current location weather when I initially set up the app on my phone in the Fitbit app). However today I noticed that it did not update, it kept it on my hometown even though I traveled to a different city a couple of hours away, and stayed in that city for about 5 hours. I checked it regularly to see if it would change. My phone showed the correct town, but this did not transfer over to the Ionic. Not sure if the latest firmware update changed something?

Best Answer

It's great to have you here @davidf100010! In order to get the Weather app working, launch the app and choose the location in the Fitbit app gallery. 

If you change your location and the weather app hasn't updated to the new location, remember that your phone and Ionic must be syncing for this update to occur. 

Hope this helps! 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

@SilviaFitbit wrote:

It's great to have you here @davidf100010! In order to get the Weather app working, launch the app and choose the location in the Fitbit app gallery. 

If you change your location and the weather app hasn't updated to the new location, remember that your phone and Ionic must be syncing for this update to occur. 

Hope this helps! 

This has been done multiple times. the weather app no longer updates the weather no matter what I do or how many times I sync it with the phone app. it also does not add any manually entered location. the weather app is not working as intended.

Best Answer

@davidf100010 wrote:

This has been done multiple times. the weather app no longer updates the weather no matter what I do or how many times I sync it with the phone app. it also does not add any manually entered location. the weather app is not working as intended.

I also need help with this.  I have never been able to get anything in the Weather app to work.  On the Ionic, it just says that I need to set it up in the Fitbit App.  In the Fitbit app, it simply won't "take" anything I type into it -- it'll just say "loading" for a few seconds, then the "loading" goes away, and that's all I get.  It doesn't even do anything with the "current location."  I have location services turned "on" on my phone, I have tried and tried literally dozens of times, but it just utterly will not do anything whatsoever.  What on Earth do I need to do to get this to work?

Best Answer

I want to add my 2 cents to this thread. Weather app does not work

Best Answer

Based on my  experience you have to have a) wireless set up b) be connected to it and c) have your location correctly specified. With the above I'm able to get the weather forecast for two different location on the ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is working fine right now but wasn't working at all a few days ago.

Best Answer
0 Votes

By "wireless," do you mean Wi-Fi?  From everything I can tell, I have that properly set up.  And I definitely have Bluetooth set up.  I wish I could specify a location, but that's the whole problem -- I can type a city name into the settings, but nothing ever happens.  I see the word "loading" below the city I have typed in -- for a few seconds -- then the word "loading" goes away.  It's just absolutely, totally dead.

Getting back to Wi-Fi, I have made sure that I'm connected, and I have set it up a couple of times again, just trying to make sure.  I have connected the Ionic to the charging cable, which I understand is necessary to make it work with Wi-Fi, and that still doesn't help.  And so on -- I could go on with all of the other things I've tried, but in the end, nothing works -- I can type a city name in, but the app just doesn't respond to it.

Best Answer

Same.  Weather App isn't working properly.  Sometimes the weather shows up, other times it says I need to sync.  I never had this problem with the Apple watch. 

Best Answer