Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help getting the Weather app to work

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Well, so far, I absolutely, positively cannot get the Weather app to do ANYTHING WHATSOEVER.  All I get is a screen full of "No location information.  Go to the Fitbit app to set up weather."  I have done that, I have done that, over and over and over and over and over again.  I have read that "you have to go outside and let it synch up with the GPS system."  I've done, that, too.  How long do you need to stand outside?  An hour?  Do you need to bring your phone along, too?  I've been out for about five minutes at a time, several times, but so far, NOTHING WORKS AT ALL.

I simply cannot get any recognition of anything at all -- not my "Current Location," even though I have Bluetooth and Location Services turned on in my phone.  When I type a city name in the blank, it just sits there and says "loading" for a few seconds, and then it stops saying "loading" again.

Yes, I have "rebooted the watch" -- over and over and over and over and over again.  I have gone into the settings in the online Fitbit Dashboard, and it says that the GPS is "on" -- not that I see anywhere to set that on my phone or on the watch itself.  And so on.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me -- the weather app is one really big reason why I decided to spend $300 on the Ionic, rather than just sitting tight with my Charge 2.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I did the GPS thing, but that certainly didn't make the Weather app work automagically.  But, it's probably among the things that got mine to work, eventually.  Certainly, if you haven't gone out and "turned the GPS on," go out and do that.  Basically, just navigate to the "Run" or "Walk" exercise, tap on it, and watch the GPS connecting icon in the upper left corner of the screen.  Once you get a connection, presumably that's all it takes.  I certainly did that several times, and then went indoors and tried to enter a location -- each time without success.

And heck -- I just tried it, sitting in front of the computer, and the GPS connected.  So, you might not even have to go outside to get the GPS to connect.  At any rate, I would make sure you've done the GPS routine at some point, and then uninstall and reinstall the app on your phone.  Obviously, I'm just guessing, as I don't really know what ultimately needed to be done or not in order to get it to work.

As for uninstalling and reinstalling the app, let me add that I made sure and synced my Ionic with the app right before I uninstalled it.  Then, once I had it reinstalled, and allowed all of the permissions, the first thing I did was sync it with the Ionic again.  Then, I went into the Weather app, and it worked.  And then after I set up my city, I synced with the Ionic again.  But that's the entire routine I went through, if it might help.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
39 REPLIES 39

Have you tried using a zip code? 

Best Answer

Yes, about a dozen times.  Whatever I input just sits there.  It'll say "loading" for a few seconds, then the "loading" word goes away.  There is no "enter" button, there is a "search glass" icon in front of where you type something in, but that doesn't seem to do anything at all -- I have clicked it a thousand times.  It just utterly, absolutely won't do anything if I try to input anything.  I might as well be screaming at a rock in my backyard.

Best Answer

I've had the identical experiences as @SunsetRunner

I cannot enter location information using either city name, nor zip code. "loading" just appears and vanishes with nothing listed.

I've reinstalled the Fitbit app, and acknowledged the permission to use my location. I've verified location is permitted for Fitbit. 

Even if location was not permitted, I would still think I would be allowed to add a location for weather, this UI does not seem to function.

I'm running insider build 15252.0

Is anyone at Fitbit monitoring this community? What is the recommended support for my $300 time-of-day watch?

-John

Best Answer

my weather app started working all by itself, after I connected to GPS satellites for a running workout.

try this:

1. Go outside

2 from the 'exercise' menu, begin a run; the little satellite dish icon will search for GPS signal. Once it says 'connected' , your weather app should work....

Best Answer

I did the GPS thing, but that certainly didn't make the Weather app work automagically.  But, it's probably among the things that got mine to work, eventually.  Certainly, if you haven't gone out and "turned the GPS on," go out and do that.  Basically, just navigate to the "Run" or "Walk" exercise, tap on it, and watch the GPS connecting icon in the upper left corner of the screen.  Once you get a connection, presumably that's all it takes.  I certainly did that several times, and then went indoors and tried to enter a location -- each time without success.

And heck -- I just tried it, sitting in front of the computer, and the GPS connected.  So, you might not even have to go outside to get the GPS to connect.  At any rate, I would make sure you've done the GPS routine at some point, and then uninstall and reinstall the app on your phone.  Obviously, I'm just guessing, as I don't really know what ultimately needed to be done or not in order to get it to work.

As for uninstalling and reinstalling the app, let me add that I made sure and synced my Ionic with the app right before I uninstalled it.  Then, once I had it reinstalled, and allowed all of the permissions, the first thing I did was sync it with the Ionic again.  Then, I went into the Weather app, and it worked.  And then after I set up my city, I synced with the Ionic again.  But that's the entire routine I went through, if it might help.

Best Answer

Hello, I'm having the same problems as the guy who wrote this https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Weather-app-just-won-t-work-at-all/td-p/2222168 however doing "the GPS trick" and reinstalling the app, does not fix it for me...

When I open the weather app in the watch it still tells me that I need to configure the city using the phone app, however the app simply doesn't work...

"Current location" is there, but doesn't seem to do anything... Also, trying to enter a city manually causes a "Loading" text to show up, but after a few seconds it just disappears without showing any results whatsoever...

Does anyone have the weather working in the Ionic?

Best Answer

Does anyone have any idea???

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem. Very annoyed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Are you all sure that it's not because of a pairing issue on your phone? That's the only way I can get mine to work.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know how to be sure about that... The watch is properly synced with the phone, I get every single feature working (sleep time, exercise time, steps, floors, etc)...

The only thing that does not work is being able to configure the weather.

I wrote to support, and they were not able to help me thus far

Best Answer

May seem a daft question but have you got Location enabled on your phone and the Fitbit app able to use your location in Permissions?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My weather app doesn't work either

Best Answer
0 Votes

Location is enabled (Works on any other app using location, such as GMaps, Twitter, Swarm, etc). And also the Location permission is enabled for the Fitbit app.

As a separate thought, having the "Location" permission enabled for Fitbit should ONLY be needed when using the "Current city" entry. I should be able, if I want (It is not my case), to disallow Fitbit app access to my location, but still list a couple of cities where I want to get weather information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What phone are you using @frapell?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner Nexus 6

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, I registered to be a developer (https://dev.fitbit.com/), and I upgraded the watch firmware to 1.1BETA, and now the weather app works...

The coach app doesn't, but I don't want it anyway for now, so I don't really care.

Best Answer

Glad you got it sorted @frapell, if in a round about way.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I solved the problem a different way:

1) On watch, swipe right and enable notifications from phone

2) On phone, stop any Fitbit sync in progress -- may need to reboot phone

3) On Fitbit app, go to Ionic setup (the icon is on top right) and hit the trash icon to unlink the watch from phone

4) Perform hard reboot of watch by pressing left button and lower right button simultaneously

5) On phone, perform "new" setup by adding the Ionic. Make sure bluetooth, Wifi, and GPS are activated on phone.

6) On phone, perform a sync.

7)Cross fingers

Best Answer

You might have an old phone like me, Droid turbo. 

My solution, 100% fix, login to the Fitbit bit app on a strangers NEW phone, go to the weather app and set the location. Sync the Ionic with the strangers phone and hopefully you have weather bam! Thank them and move along.

Sync back to your old phone. No location shows up on the phone app but the Ionic still will show the two locations I set. I spent hours with customer service with no solution.

Best Answer
0 Votes