Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weather App Without Syncing Every Time

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is there a way to get information from the weather app without having to sync right before doing it? I tried turning on the all-day sync and it still wouldn't do it. The reason I'm asking is that it doesn't make sense to have to go to my phone and sync with the watch to get weather information when I can just go to the weather app on my phone instead and get it a lot quicker. 

Moderator edit: added label

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

Huh, one would think the watch will use wifi to update weather info periodically. So IONIC does not utilize wifi to refresh weather info?

If wifi is unreachable then there is no way for it to know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ugh, I was afraid that might be the answer. I don't understand the point of having the app in the first place then. 

Best Answer

The weather app does do background refreshes. I’ve just woken up and not touched my phone and can see the Ionic refreshed the weather.

CAB9DC69-62B7-4484-B83F-031A407D44CA.jpeg

Best Answer

I don’t know the facts of how this works but my weather app updates quite happily without having to sync exercise data to the phone so I’m not sure why yours would be different.

I’m assuming it still uses the phone for the purpose of updates since WiFi would be very hit and miss as a mechanism given that I don’t have access to WiFi over most of the country where I do have mobile signal.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've got the same problem

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Stup.exe wrote:

I've got the same problem

What problem? The app can't refresh unless it has a connection with the phone. That doesn't mean a full data sync, but it needs the phone to update the weather.

Best Answer

Did you have to turn on all-day syncing for that to happen?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My watch is almost always near my bluetooth-on phone yet I still can't get weather updates without syncing.

Best Answer

Mine updates automatically, too; incl. when travelling between cities.  I have All-Day sync turned "on" and it doesn't seem to affect battery life.  Are you maybe closing the App on the phone?  I try to leave my App open and in the background all the time.

Ionic/iPhone XR/MacOS 10.x Sierra
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just go to your phone location services and turn on it to ALWAYS for your Fitbit app... this will work for sure...

Best Answer

Thanks! I tried it works now

@Asok wrote:

Just go to your phone location services and turn on it to ALWAYS for your Fitbit app... this will work for sure...

Best Answer

I have the same problem, weather updated once and only when I connect to pc and  stayed updated about 2 hours and so , and then went off . I have my Ionice about 2 week now and I came fram Microsoft Band 1 and 2 , never such a problem. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is on always but not working

Best Answer
0 Votes

Set your location service to always for Fitbit on your phone then weather app works perfect 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The weather app has a bug where it won't update information after a few hours. I've done all sorts of stuff like remove the Ionic from my account and add it again, clear the cache from my phone, uninstall and reinstall the app on my phone, and much more. Fitbit accused me of running a beta version of the app. Twice. They were wrong. It's a bug. I sure hope they fix it. Though they don't have a good track record of fixing bugs.

I wouldn't even mind so much if they let you uninstall the weather app, but they won't.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This does not solve the issue either for Charge3.  I still must sync phone to get weather and I am also near wifi most of the day. What is the point on having the option?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @Karelee, it's nice to see you around here! Some apps, such as Weather, require All-Day Sync to be turned on for data to be sent from the Fitbit app to your tracker:

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon > your device image.
  2. Find the option to turn on All-Day Sync.

If the weather for your current location doesn’t appear, check that you turned on location services for the Fitbit app. For instructions, see How do I allow the Fitbit app to use my phone's GPS? If you change locations, sync your watch to see your new location in the Weather app.

Hope this helps! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. I do realize all day sync needs to be activated? But I am still having to sync with iPhone Every time I want to see weather. I have tried it all & have not found a fix. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @KareleeI recommend keeping the "all-day sync" turned on so that the Charge 3 will pull your weather as often as possible.

Also, if you open up the app to sync, and then go to the Weather tracking screen with the app open, it seems to send the data through at that point? (as if it needs to be pulled through).

Something that happened to me was that changes done on the Fitbit app on my iPhone were not being synced with the Charger 3. So, I tried General>Reset>Reset Location & Privacy on my iPhone, and then everything started working. So, it's fixed and I can start seeing the Weather on my 'Location'.

Let me know the outcome! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer