Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accuracy of Charge 2 and other Devices

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have used a Charge HR for the last couple of years and have been satisfied with trhe results.  This week I upgraded to a Charge 2 and do not understand the results as it seem to be underestimating the steps.

I run 23km every Saturday amongst other runs in the week and last week the old Charge HR registered about 28000 steps as every other week.  This week  with the new device, it registered 23km and 23500 steps.

Today my Charge 2 says 12740 steps (11.37km) while my Apple Watch (which I put on my wrist just before leaving the house) says 14974 steps (10.48km).  My old Fitbit One says 15956 steps (11.33km).

I don't understand how these devices can be so different.  Within 10%, I could accept, but how can you rely on such different measurements.  Has anybody else had the same experience and is there a fix?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @ALD2355,

One thing I know, it's not possible to take exactly the same amount of steps, even on the same route. But I don't know if that explains the discrepancy.

As far as what you can do, in the app settings there is a stride-length for running and walking. If you adjust these and experiment a little, you can probably get it calibrated to what you were getting before. 

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @ALD2355!

I'd like to add to what @WavyDavey mentioned. Adjusting the stride length should help with the overall accuracy. You can do so by following these steps:

1. Log into your Fitbit.com Dashboard and then go into the settings
  2. All the way to the bottom you should see a 'Stride Length' section. Enter your stride length in there.
  3. You can calculate it by walking a very specific distance and then dividing it by the number of steps you took.
  4. Hit the 'Submit' button and then sync your Fitbit.

I hope you find this useful. Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for this but if the Charge 2 has a gps chip it dhould be able to work it out like the Apple Watch using the iPhone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @ALD2355.

Please keep in mind that the GPS on the Charge 2 required it to connect to your mobile device so any distance information is coming directly from your mobile's GPS connection and data. 

I hope you find this info useful. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes