Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you ever see a friend's daily steps?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I understand the seven days step thing and the challenges. This is my question. Is there any way to see how many steps your friends have for that day at any given time if you aren't in a challenge?
Best Answer
80 REPLIES 80

@4DaveHarper,

I'm not sure if this is necessarily the case, I just don't think folks are aware that it's visible in the profile.  Otherwise, why would it be posted in the 'Fitbit.com Dashboard' portion of the forum rather than the respective app?

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I was referring to daily/hourly steps. Thanks
Best Answer
0 Votes
I was referring to daily/hourly steps. Thanks
Best Answer
0 Votes

@d.mooooodee,

Oh, I see...  For instance, not only do you want to know that your friend Pat has gotten 6000 steps today, but you also want to know if they got their steps in the morning vs. the afternoon, like the step graph on your activities page.  You're right, you can't get that even on the profile page.

Though personally, I'm not sure if I'd find this that useful...  Either way, they have gotten 6000 steps so far today (and knowing the personal best is say 20k steps, which is listed in the profile page), I'm not sure how interesting it'd be to know that they got those steps in the morning vs. afternoon, when I know they've done as many as 20k in one day.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
yeah, some days it's nice to know how hard you have to push it when dealing
with very competitive people. I've been on challenges where people get
20000 steps ahead of you and there are not enough hours left of the challenge
to catch them. It's been the other way too! I've put 35000 steps in one day
where all I really needed was 20000. So it's just one of those things when
you have to deal with when you have hyper competitive friends! We'll drop
dead on the road sometimes... just to win! Some people don't understand...
(like my wife)
Best Answer

Hey  @GAD2469.

I see what you mean and how it could be useful in instances like that. Perhaps you could look into creating a Feature Suggestion about it. Other users would then be able to comment and vote on your suggestion to show their support.

Hope to see you around. 

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Love that it has been years of people complaining about this feature (really lack of) and the response is still to go and vote. The first post on this thread is Feb 2015 and that doesn't really give the consumer a good sense that Fitbit is seriously listening... 

Can we get a better explaination as to why this isn't a feature or if there is an update on Fitbit's stance on it?

please don't tell me to vote

Best Answer

It's not hard to figure out. Jawbone has had the feature for years. Very motivational to see your friend's steps at any point in the day and know what you need to do to catch up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @Party_Sloth. Hello @4DaveHarper.

I do see how not being able to see that information. Like it was mentioned before, depending on your friends' privacy settings you can potentially go to their profile and see how many steps they've gotten for the day. As for being able to see in-depth details like the specific time, we do not have any news on it. If we do have some updates they will be posted on that specific feature suggestion.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Screenshot 2017-11-22 21.56.42.pngPureEvil, hopefully you or someone else can help me. When using Edge, I can see the weekly step total in the computer for my friend, but when I click on my friend's name for his profile, the step graph doesn't show. (Yours didn't show either, when I clicked on your link; see attached screenshot.)  My friend can see my steps and we have the same privacy permissions granted.  I can see everything in IE, but not in Edge. Flash is enabled in my settings for Edge, and the graphics work when I test in Adobe  https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html.  Until about 3-4 weeks ago, I could view the steps in Edge. Any ideas? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Users have been asking for this feature since 2015...it is a pretty basic and significant request that should have already been addressed...how does Fitbit expect to remain competitive in this market space without it?

Best Answer

Hey WendyJed. That feature has been available for years, so maybe it's just you or your friend's permissions aren't set up. Both of you should go into your settings and make sure that Statistics and Graphs are viewable by friends. However, if one of you doesn't have a mobile account, then I don't think that the other has Friend access on their mobile.  Now that my Flash is fixed, I can see 30 days of my friend's steps on my PC.  If you're looking for some more specific information from your friend than just steps, then I'll eagerly wait for Fitbit's answer, too! P.S. My friend and I have Zips, so this feature isn't tied to the more complex Fitbits.

Best Answer

Hi there!

Thanks for the reply. My friend and I changed our settings, but I can only see her data on my laptop. I NEVER look at Fitbit info on my laptop...only on my phone. Nothing shows up there. If you read through this entire thread, the response from the Fitbit administrator for the last three years has been that they are aware of the demand for this feature and vote for it as a suggestion. For three years! Really? Having it on the laptop is better than nothing, but doesn't really solve the issue.

Best Answer

Rediculous!! Why “Fitbit” can’t do this is beyond me.
I don't carry my laptop everywhere I go...but thanks.
They need to take a look at the “UP” app and take notes...it’s awesome! They (UP)got it right 👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer

Thanks for this. I found this this morning, before seeing your post, and it works fine. Don't know why others aren't acknowledging it.

My question, though, is about the app. Is this information available in the app? If so, I can't find it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've never seen my friend's steps through the android phone app, but I've attributed it to the fact that he does not use the app (he's still on a flip phone). I'm resisting changing from fitbit connect to the app on my Win10 PC for this reason and others. Does anyone else following this thread see friends' steps on their mobile apps?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Despite tons of posted requests spanning several years, Fitbit still does not provide any way to see a friend's daily steps in their app dashboard.  You can't even see steps by going to the Fitbit website on your phone because they require a flash player plug-in that is not available for iPhone or Android. The only way to see steps on your smartphone is to issue challenges to your friends each day. The Fitbit app is pathetic compared to the competition.
Best Answer

Have hd my fitbit for years and you WERE able to keep track of friends daily steps. Every time they synced. So wonder why they stopped that. One of the things that kept me moving is seeing they are ahead by 50 steps

Best Answer
Exactly!! Not sure why this can’t be solved?! I enjoyed it the same as you did. Oh well...

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hey @d.mooooodee and @Shellbell75.

Thanks for sharing your concerns!

There is always the option of joining a challenge with your friends or creating an activity group with those friends so that you can compete with them and get the info about their steps.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes