Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when trying to export my data ("Signature Does Not Match")

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Apparently, our ability to export our data has been broken for quite some time with no fix in sight.

If you attempt to export your data, you'll need to wait for several hours for your data to be ready for download. However, when attempting to download, you'll see "Something went wrong on our end, please try again later," or a Google authorization error ("SignatureDoesNotMatch"). Tried different browsers, cleared cookies, etc. See image below.

Given that this has been broken for almost a year (at least), we can only assume Fitbit officially no longer allows your data to be downloaded. You can still download the most recent month of data, but beyond that, your data is lost forever (belongs to Fitbit).

The Apple watch export feature works just fine. Buyer beware.

GoodGuy5000HD_0-1606246506560.png

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
40 REPLIES 40

After waiting a day for the exporter to complete, I'm now not able to download since SignatureDoesNotMatch . 

Best Answer

After clicking "Download" in Export Your Account Archive (https://www.fitbit.com/settings/data/export) I got the following error:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

SignatureDoesNotMatch

The request signature we calculated does not match the signature you provided. Check your Google secret key and signing method.

Someone had this problem? I've tried multiple support chats from Fitbit and they're not even trained to know the process (can't get them to say something else than "clear caché", "clear history", "refresh",...). I asked the third one to PLEASE take me to someone that knows something about this problem since I used four browsers, two internet providers, etc and had the same problem everytime. Supposedly, I'm getting an email from someone in support someday, but I'm slowly losing hope.
Best Answer

I tried to "Export Your Account Archive" and download it.

But the data I got is following:

<Error>
<Code>SignatureDoesNotMatch</Code>
<Message>The request signature we calculated does not match the signature you provided. Check your Google secret key and signing method.</Message>
<StringToSign>GOOG4-RSA-SHA256 20201123T081744Z 20201123/auto/storage/goog4_request a4d9325b56a29aa94d5e0da1a645a222d1b7b42f05f152fb41254fd212d55c2e</StringToSign>
<CanonicalRequest>GET /user-data-export/222NX3/MyFitbitData.zip X-Goog-Algorithm=GOOG4-RSA-SHA256&X-Goog-Credential=esa-vault-gate-user-data--3c8e%40fit-roles-prod.iam.gserviceaccount.com%2F20201123%2Fauto%2Fstorage%2Fgoog4_request&X-Goog-Date=20201123T081744Z&X-Goog-Expires=60&X-Goog-SignedHeaders=host host:user-data-export.fitbit.com host UNSIGNED-PAYLOAD</CanonicalRequest>
</Error>

How can I get my correct data?

Best Answer

I have exactly the same issue. On my first archive request, I waited 8 days and got no data. I made a 2nd attempt, and got a confirmation email in about 10 minutes. When I clicked the download link, that's exactly the message I got too.

Best Answer

I have this problem also.  It happened with an archive request on Saturday evening.  And it happened again today. If you get any help from a support person by email I would appreciate it if you could post it here.

I am afraid I vented my frustration below.

I was so happy to see that both export requests completed in less than an hour because lately it has taken it 2 or 3 days to complete.  BUT since it won't give me anything but that ERROR about no style information and something about Google Secret Key and ID.  I also tried Safari and Firefox - same message.  Now I need to wait for 24 hours to start another one which I will NOT start on Google Chrome - I will start it on Firefox.  I am so so so upset with FitBit Support and FitBIt in general - in order to get to my dashboard at all I need to go through umpteen sales photos.  Give me a break !!!!!  And support in general is BAD BAD BAD BAD.  No email support whatsoever and Chat is useless for anyone who is going beyond the 'norm' and phone is almost certainly the same people who do the chat or at least working off of the same database of support issues. I very recently went through this whole rigamarole with  FitBit support regarding Archive Exports taking 2 or 3 days or just plain getting stuck.  Their standard answer to anything is "Clear Cache" or "Try another Browser"  Really not happy !!!!! All FitBIt wants to do is to sell you a product - they do not want to support these products or to do anything that might support their customers.

Best Answer

I am facing the same issue.

Please provide a fix or resolution ASAP!!

Best Answer

Same with me. Is there maybe a connection to a just few days ago changed email address? Maybe then this "google signature" fits still to the old email address?! No idea...

Best Answer

This is affecting me too. 

What is the point of offering a service that does not work? This needs to be fixed quickly

Best Answer

I don't know. I've always used the same email and login. I just tried again after waiting 24hrs, and still the exact same result. Very frustrating, especially since you have to wait a day. What a waste of time.

Best Answer

More to the story.  I did another archive this morning which I started on Firefox.  Replied to the request on Firefox.  Only Google thing involved is that I use gmail though today I used it in Firefox, not Chrome.  So I was trying to eliminate everything Google from the process.  The result?  The exact same thing happened including the part of the message that says "...Google Secret Key .... "  The whole Google Secret Key thing is, I suspect, something they have added recently - like last weekend and it is a critical problem in their software that they need to address ASAP.

Tomorrow I will try the whole process in Firefox but ALSO use my non-gmail address - I don't see where Google should come into this at all.

I guess that I am hoping that someone at FitBit is monitoring the community and sees that there is a lot of interest in this problem. 

Best Answer

I've now made two attempts at requesting a full data export for my Charge 3. The request works fine and at some point I receive an email that my download is ready.

However, when I click the download button I only get to see the following XML file:

<Error>
<Message>
The request signature we calculated does not match the signature you provided. Check your Google secret key and signing method.
</Message>
<StringToSign>
GOOG4-RSA-SHA256 20201124T182756Z 20201124/auto/storage/goog4_request ee61d7d5b969529fff1e838a1129444a379ef94354920d3cc5a78fa6bb770e6a
</StringToSign>
<CanonicalRequest>
GET /user-data-export/222K85/MyFitbitData.zip X-Goog-Algorithm=GOOG4-RSA-SHA256&X-Goog-Credential=esa-vault-gate-user-data--a8af%40fit-roles-prod.iam.gserviceaccount.com%2F20201124%2Fauto%2Fstorage%2Fgoog4_request&X-Goog-Date=20201124T182756Z&X-Goog-Expires=60&X-Goog-SignedHeaders=host host:user-data-export.fitbit.com host UNSIGNED-PAYLOAD
</CanonicalRequest>
</Error>

It's hard to see what I could do at my end to get the download started. Is this a Fitbit error?

Best Answer

Nov 24, 2020 - issue still happening. After receiving email notifying download is ready, click email link, goes to fitbit.com page, have to log in if not already logged in, and then click on export file download button (it says data is ready). But the click shows a web page that has  error message below, on desktop and mobile browsers . .. in chrome, firefox, edge.

This is a fitbit technical issue on their side.  

Basically the issue is that they use Google cloud storage to store the export data file, and the message we are getting says that the google cloud storage credentials they use do not match what Google storage is expecting. Their developers need to fix this. They probably changed the credentials recently but forgot to update the download export file process or did it incorrectly. It is a bug, a developer issue.

It has nothing to do with the user side.

Here is google cloud error messages: "SignatureDoesNotMatch"  = The request signature we calculated does not match the signature you provided. Check your Google secret and signing method."

https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/xml-api/reference-status

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Message>The request signature we calculated does not match the signature you provided. Check your Google secret key and signing method.</Message>
<StringToSign>GOOG4-RSA-SHA256 20201124T160446Z 20201124/auto/storage/goog4_request xxxxxbigLongStringOfNumbersAndLettersWhichIsSpecificToEachPersonDownloadxxxxx</StringToSign>
<CanonicalRequest>GET /user-data-export/222JYK/MyFitbitData.zip X-Goog-Algorithm=GOOG4-RSA-SHA256&X-Goog-Credential=esa-vault-gate-user-data--a8af%40fit-roles-prod.iam.gserviceaccount.com%2F20201124%2Fauto%2Fstorage%2Fgoog4_request&X-Goog-Date=20201124T160446Z&X-Goog-Expires=60&X-Goog-SignedHeaders=host host:user-data-export.fitbit.com host UNSIGNED-PAYLOAD</CanonicalRequest>
</Error>

Best Answer

Thank you for keeping us posted. I'm afraid that it may not be anything involving your use of google. I don't know much about coding, but I used to ask google maps for geolocations inside my code and I needed to identify myself with a key (https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/get-api-key). I'm guessing that the 'Google Secret Key' is something they have to check on their side and not something we may be doing wrong.

EDIT: Thank you fitterbetter! sounds like there's nothing we can do until the developers solve it? I never got the email that the chat support promised, I'm not sure if I'll keep pressing the matter. Also, if you were thinking of asking for your data I'm 90% confident that chat support won't be able to help. Here's a transcript of my failed attempt (previously, I couldn't get fitbit to get my file ready to download as it was for more than a day in 0%):

Me: in case 38452484, he just cancelled my request and asked me to request it in another fitbit support chat after 24 hours

Chat support: I have no system to make the request from my end, as that information is protected.

Me: then there's no way to download my data whatsoever?
Chat support: If that would be the case, just check back to us with the same case number.
Chat support: I have made the notes about your issues.

Me: but your systems would not allow you to download it for me
Me: so how would you be able to help me?
Chat support: As stated above, that is a security protection that your information has, we agents could not download it, you are right.
Me: then why would I check back to you ?

Chat support: you explain about your question?
Me: why would I check back to you if I'm having issues downloading my data
Me: if you can't request my data for me
Me: or help me in any way
Chat support: Hoiw much has it downloaded so far, Lyla?
Me:not yet
Chat support: I appreciate your hard work Lyla.
Chat support: Please try with another computer then Lyla.

If you need a cheerleader during your multiple failed attempts, the chat support is the way to go.

If not, chat support is going to recommend some of the following: clearing cache, clearing history, changing browser, changing internet provider, changing computer,...

Best Answer

!!!Yea Verily - THANK YOU - had not realized they were using Google Cloud Storage - now I understand a bit more - THANK YOU

NOW - if they would only fix it !!!

Best Answer

Yeah, after Google bought Fitbit, they migrated the Fitbit tech stack to Google Cloud Platform, although the purchase is not yet final, still some regulatory approvals needed I think.  https://diginomica.com/how-fitbit-moved-its-monolithic-application-google-cloud-platform

Anyways, this is a pretty basic issue. Frankly, from technical testing perspective, it is a bit surprising it is happening.

EDIT: when contacting Fitbit support via Twitter DM or by live chat, make sure to include this Fitbit Community post link, and to say issue is recent (at least this is first post about issue) and is affecting multiple users (at least 9 as of now). Also the Fitbit senior engineer, noted in article I linked, is on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/slewis3  ... you could message him if you have LinkedIn premium ; )

Best Answer

Hello! I was looking if other posts got any response from a Fitbit moderator. I posted here https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Windows-10-App/Can-t-download-my-Account-Archive/m-p/4592573 and it seems that it's a problem with Google Cloud Storage that they should fix. I'd need a confirmation from a Fitbit representative but I'm pretty sure there's nothing we can do to get our data 🙁

Best Answer

All of the above for me too. Same problem. Same useless "support". Same promise to elevate the issue. 

I'm not holding my breath. 

Best Answer

Yes, like others have been trying to tell Fitbit for over a year, when trying to download your archive, you get this page (doesn't matter the browser):

GoodGuy5000HD_1-1606246234774.png

Best Answer

Basically the issue is that they use Google cloud storage to store the export data file, and the message we are getting says that the google cloud storage credentials they use do not match what Google storage is expecting. Their developers need to fix this. They probably changed the credentials recently but forgot to update the download export file process or did it incorrectly. It is a bug, a developer issue.

It has nothing to do with the user side.

Anyways, this is a pretty basic issue. Frankly, from technical testing perspective, it is a bit surprising it is happening.

EDIT: when contacting Fitbit support via Twitter DM or by live chat, make sure to include this Fitbit Community post link, and to say issue is recent (at least this is first post about issue) and is affecting multiple users (at least 9 as of now).

See other Fitbit community threads for same issue:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Windows-10-App/Can-t-download-my-Account-Archive/m-p/4588397

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/Cannot-download-my-account-archive/m-p/4590318

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Other-Charge-Trackers/Can-t-download-full-data-export/m-p/4592561

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/Fitbit-does-NOT-allow-you-to-export-your-data-q...

Edit: now a 5th thread

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-4/Error-downloading-my-archive/m-p/4596811

Best Answer