Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need a smartphone to have a fitbit?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all

I want to buy a fitbit for my dad. He is computer illiterate (in fact pretty much illiterate) and doesn't have a smartphone. However I'd like a way to keep track of some stats for a condition he has, so that we can provide reports to his dr.

I have my own fitbit which i sync to my mobile and don't really want to mess with my own stats, and I think family accounts are only for Fitbit Aces which are pretty much step counters, and he needs an adult watch.

Can you think of a solution to this? Grateful for any help!

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hello @Ausilia and welcome to the Community.  Here are my thoughts on how you can help your dad.

• A Fitbit account is tied to an email account.  So he will need an email account.
  • You can log out of your account on your phone and create his account.
  • A Fitbit store seven days of detailed data.  He doesn't need to sync daily, just periodically.
  • If you see him regularly, you log out. log him in, sync, and then go back to your account.
  • If you go to the doctor with your dad, just switch to his account to review data.

You don't say if your dad lives with you or not or if he has access to wi-fi (with help, of course).  He doesn't need a smartphone.  He can use a small Android or iOS tablet.

I'm sure there are other ideas out there.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Does he have a computer at all? I’m not sure how it works now or if now you would need Bluetooth on that computer, but I had a Fitbit long before I had a smart phone. The desktop site is good. So if I were you I would open the desktop site, create a an account for him,  and see if there’s an option to set up a Fitbit from the computer . My current desktop also has apps so that’s another possibility.

Best Answer
0 Votes