Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Fitbit adjust calorie intake goal based on your weekly intake average?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello!  I recently started tracking my calories using the Fitbit app and noticed today my calorie intake goal is much lower than on the last few days?    I went from a calorie intake goal of about 1500 down to 1275 and it just doesn't make sense to me.  Thanks in advance!

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@fscaccia36,

Welcome to the community!

Okay, I'm speculating here since I don't really use food logging or monitor my caloric intake, but here it goes...

I believe that Fitbit establishes what your caloric intake is based on your goals (say you want to lose X pounds by Y weeks) and does this by way of caloric deficit.  For instance, it'll tell you that you need to burn 300 more calories than you consume each day.  If it notices that you have been more active than usual today (maybe you did a 5k), it'll bump the amount of calories that you may consume today in order to meet your goals.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@fscaccia36 Hi - just to add to what @PureEvil mentioned here is a link that explains what and how with ref to calorie burn

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1381 (it basically what was mentioned)

also for a small bit of information on the PC or Web based dashboard on the large tile with steps, floors etc in circles there is a ? in the top left corner click on that and you will see a scroll bar at the bottom of the pop up this will give you a small insight into how each tile is calculated

next if you click on log you will get to your food plan page where it says today I can still eat there should be a small search icon if you click on this it will give you the estimated cal burn for the rest of the day based on activity and then what you deficit is - the numbers can raise and fall depending on activity

hope that gives you a little more information as I rely quite heavily on these numbers myself (lost 10lb since 28 may) so its not to bad

the only point of caution I can offer is check the nutritional data as some if the entries are not fully complete so some of the data might be out especially the misunderstanding with the difference between salt and sodium mg of sodium is roughly 60% of the salt amount - for proper conversion I suggest Oxsalt.org.uk and use the bottom converter

Charge 2, 3 - Windows 8.1 - Samsung S6, S8, S9 - Each day we learn something new is a day not wasted
Best Answer
0 Votes