Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Connect does not work with MacOS Big Sur

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After upgrading my Mac OS to Big Sur 11.1, Fitbit Connect no longer recognizes Bluetooth. Even when I have bluetooth enabled, it throws the error "Please enable bluetooth to sync your trackers."

I'm using the latest available fitbit connect software -- v2.0.2.7241.

I've seen a few other posts describing the same problem, but the subjects call out specific devices (Alta, Charge 2).  I'm filing fresh new topic because this is not a fitbit device problem. (I happen to have the Surge.)  It is a problem with Fitbit Connect app for MacOS.

I upgraded my Mac about 3 weeks ago, so as of now, I have 3 weeks of data on my Surge that I cannot sync.

Please advise when a Fitbit Connect patch will be available to let it work properly with Big Sur. 

Best Answer
60 REPLIES 60

It has nothing to do with the Mac OS or versions... the syncing problem is at Fitbit's end that they need to resolve.

Best Answer

I spoke again  today (Feb17th) with with a Fitbit Support staff member. He conceded that this was a problem beyond his pay grade. Suggested I call the Corporate Office, but there is no operative phone number for such. A fourth email to support elicited no substantive response - no acknowledgement of the issue at hand, It appeared to be an "auto-reply" suggesting  that I refer to their instructions on how to set up a Fitbit device on iMac. So I wrote them again requesting that they actually read the content of my complaint and visit this subject-related forum.

The Fitbit Company needs to do two things:

1. Acknowledge the problem with respect to their Fitbit Connect App and "Bg Sur".

2. Reconfigure the App so it serves Fitbit tracking on the latest iMac computer OS. (No need for a smart phone to make it work...)

Best Answer

Please do. After about six calls to your support line, I was told the problem was above their pay grade - that Fitbit needs to reconfigure their Fitbit Connect App to the latest iMac "Bg Sur" OS (so it works on a computer; not just a smart phone). All email replies from "Support" come back suggesting no one at support is listening or reading the actual content of the complaint. I am told to do something to fix it that has been done six times over. Very frustrating! Looks like an "auto reply" signed by the likes of "Rashemia and the Fitbit Team"......

Best Answer

dlee60 - I think Fitbit is aware of the problem and repeated contact with support staff will just continue to frustrate you, i.e., you are complaining to people who do not have the authority to address it at their level. The problem has already been escalated  - see AnaFit's response yesterday. It appears we just have to wait now (or switch companies if we choose).

Best Answer
Just saw it and responded. I am glad we have finally received some attention on the matter. I’ll give it a few days to see if we get get a substantive response toward fixing the issue. Your initial complaint was very helpful in affirming what seems a clearly universal issue among iMac “Big Sur” users. I would add that the folks I have spoken with by phone at Fitbit Support have tried to be helpful, but
one today finally acknowledged that the issue was above their pay grade.
Best Answer

Thanks everyone for all the information provided and for your feedback. We're constantly striving to improve Fitbit products and services, and we very much appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers.

This was already escalated and our team is investigating it. As soon as we have an update we'll be sharing it with you. 

Your patience is appreciated. 

Best Answer

PERSEVERANCE pays off - this is not rocket science !

Best Answer

Do we have an ETA on the fix?

Best Answer

@Mons_mons, it's great to see you again. 

Currently there is no information about when it's going to be fixed as it is under investigation. Once we have an update, it will be shared with you all. 

Your patience is appreciated.

Best Answer

I am using Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.1 on a Macbook Pro1 and the my bluetooth does not recognize my Fitbit One as a device to pair with.  I spent 1 hr in chats with customer service, whose only suggestion was to continue to sync with my iPhone.  They apparantly are unable to escalate software issues to a technical/coding team for a request for a fix.  REALLY??  It amazes me that a customer service team does not have access to their technical department. I was told to suggest this as a feature for the future. That's ridiculous. Software connectivity should not be optional.

Best Answer

I too am having the same issue (see my previous post on this forum).  I found that Customer Support via chat is unable to submit issues to the technical/coding dept.  Also, you escalated this known problem on 2/16/21.  It is now 3/9/21.  Any updates?

Best Answer
None that I have been able to discern. I thought I would give it another week or so, and start pestering the company again. The was a terse forum response from the company saying they were looking into it, but nothing since. My most recent emails to Fitbit support have gone unacknowledged.

And you are correct. It appears that the Fitbit support personnel have little
contact with or sway over the programming “powers that be”.

Who from the company is monitoring this forum? And how often?
Best Answer

I attempted to discuss via twitter.  They reached out to customer service, who answered me via email.  Clearly, both responses I received highlighted the fact that they did not even go through the 2 Chats on file from the other day, which I am assuming are linked to the case # I shared.  The suggestions were a repetition of instructions that had already been suggested in the chats as fixes (which I had done on my own prior to the chats and let them know they already failed to fix the issue).  

I am now just amazed at degree of avoidance this company has to fix a problem that is not isolated or subtle. Perhaps they are not interested in keeping their platforms updated, because it costs $.  Who knows.  Regardless, I am fairly certain my business would fail if I continued with this type of customer service and product quality.

Apple products might be expensive, but the customer service is amazing and they do update their software for compatibility.

Best Answer

"AnaFitbit", the moderator, last commented on March 1st. One does not get the impression that FitBit's "further investigation"  is

a high priority. It would be nice if they formally acknowledged the nature of the problem and a timeline on fixing it. Customers of

their products should be forewarned. The problem undermines the very notion of "tracking" over time, Fitbit's entire reason for being....

Best Answer

It has now been a couple of months since you declared an intent to "further investigate". Not a peep from the folks at

Fitbit. I keep getting offers for a reduced price on a new device. Why get a new device if Fitbit Connect does not

work on Apple's Big Sur computer operating system? (I elect not to use a smart phone....)

Previous complaints would suggest a substantial portion of Fitbit's customer base has this problem. Will the folks on this

forum ever get an answer? Or is it time to take up with another company?

dlee60

Best Answer

Has anyone heard from FitBit about when this will be fixed? It's apparently been an ongoing issue for months.

Best Answer

AnaFitbit - your last response was March 1/21... can you please update customers?

a) Are there efforts being made to resolve the problem with our current devices and when, or

b) Is Fitbit just planning not to resolve, to wait us out (frustrate us) long enough that we either buy a new Fitbit device (with questionable similar compatibility issues now or in the future) or

c) Should customers just walk away from Fitbit and find another company they can trust  (which I personally and now looking into if there continues to be poor communication from Fitbit.)

Best Answer
I'm happy to receive this update. I'm enough of a neophyte to not realize who was at fault here so at least I've learned that it's Fitbit.Luckily I have a laptop with an older iOS on it so I'm not totally shut out. 
Best Answer

bdshirl....Any additional support in pushing FitBit to respond is helpful. "Crickets" to date - and after months - on a substantive response

from the company. The number of customers confronted with this matter has to be substantial, and growing. Is anybody minding the store?!

These forums?!

All evidence would suggest the answer is "doubtful"......

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would like to address the moderator of this forum:

It has become evident that the level of support that this forum offers from Fitbit is, to put it mildly, unacceptably lacking.  A company's long term survival depends in part on its ability to create excitement and brand loyalty.  Unsupported customers leave.  

This issue that has been raised affects a large number of your customers, and to ignore it is to ignore them.  Not an excellent business strategy.

We wouild all appreciate communication.  Even if the solution isn't evident yet.

Best Answer