Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Data Export

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've just tried the Data Export facility and all I get is a summary.

How do I get the full data for each day for all the functions? The list would be pretty comprehensive and the data must exist within the fitbit online system otherwise all the graphs, charts, tables, maps etc could not be produced on the dashboard.

As the data export page says "Your data belongs to you!" so where is it please?

(BTW the TCX files for each activity isn't the answer, if there is no GPS data the file is empty)

Best Answer
45 REPLIES 45

I am equally dismayed by the lack of ability to export. (I was just diagnosed and treated for atrial flutter, where my heart rate was well above normal.  My fault for not tracking that better, but my main use of the Fitbit was activity eg, steps daily, and not heart rate.)  My data was all captured and I can see it on my dashboard, but after 30 minutes on the phone with support, I was informed that there is no way to export my heart rate data for me (or my cardiologist) to review. What good is the data if I can only see daily snippets graphed on a web page?  Come on, guys!      

Best Answer

Same. Literally the main reason I bought this was for 24/7 detailed heart rate/activity tracking in a waterproof device. 

To find out that for > $200 all I get is the most limited surface level data in a useless format is INCREDIBLY frustrating.

Best Answer

I believe that Fitbit have an obligation to provide access to this data as a result of the GDPR. https://www.eugdpr.org/gdpr-faqs.html. Facebook etc have complied but the Fitbit Data Export is not compliant as it doesn't include all the data held, by them, about you.

There is a geeky way to get to the data, but I don't know whether it contains the detail we are seeking.

http://quantifiedself.com/2014/09/download-minute-fitbit-data/

Best Answer

I’m not an EU citizen, so I can’t use GDPR rules to press my case. 

Maybe Fitbit is presenting what they think is most useful, assuming that their analysis is necessary as the raw data would be overwhelming. That may be the explanation, but they should still allow users to get all of their data if they desire it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Me as well, I'm not resident in Europe. Regardless, they have an obligation to be compliant with the GDPR rules.

Whether the data is complicated or not is irrelevant, it is your data and they need to provide you access to it. What you do with it is up to you. Its not their decision to make.

Whether the Fitbit team pay attention to this community is another question, we could well be dicussing this amongst ourselves.

Best Answer
The post states that this access method no longer works. I haven't tried
it myself to confirm.
Best Answer

Hello @CD_TX, @SunsetRunner and @artbypep.

I'd like to help you all out. 

In this case I can have our support team get in touch with you so that they can help you export the data that you need and want. Let me know if you'd like for me to do that and I'll be happy to help out.

Let me know if there are any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
Lanuza Thanks for your offer of help and looking forward to the developers getting in touch. I am happy to assist in developing a usefull report format. However, whatever they are able to provide has to be easy to get regular updates and once we've got it sorted, be made available to all other users. Pete
Best Answer
0 Votes

I would certainly like to get this data, so yes, please let me know what I need to do to assist. 

As already mentioned, it would be nice if this download was available to everyone as I am sure there are other less vocal members who also need or want access to their data. 

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @CD_TX and @SunsetRunner.

Thanks for reaching back. I definitely understand where you are coming from.

Our team should be getting in touch with you directly about this situation so please keep an eye on your email's inbox.

Feel free to let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you Lanusa. I now have what looks like a support ticket number. I'll update once they get in touch with me.

Pete

Best Answer
0 Votes

Knowing that it's possible to get it by contacting support is better than not getting it at all, but for people who want anything more than weekly updates it seems like a huge pain.

In an ideal world I'd like the dashboard daily heart rate graph to be to an interactive and zoomable, and even more ideally I'd be able to add 'events' or notes about specific points during the day. (e.g. noting when high values are caused by stress, a particular activity, food, etc. Also when low values are caused by meditation, food, activity, etc!)

I figured I would likely have to keep track of heart related events separately, but I was expecting to at least be able to get the data to know exactly where to annotate it. 😞 Since I want to be able to note daily events, having to contact support any time I want an export of my data seems inefficient and (I haven't contacted fitbit support before, but if it's as slow as many other companies) potentially useless if I've forgotten the events of the day by the time I get the data. 

I went and voted on the suggested feature thread for this and until then I'll just be using the tool another user created. It's also clunky and inefficient compared to having access to it through the dashboard, but again, better than nothing!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @artbypep and @SunsetRunner.

@SunsetRunner Please do, I'll be sure to keep my eyes on the thread.

@artbypep Thanks for sharing your thoughts and supporting that suggestion. Please know that we are always looking for ways to improve the overall Fitbit experience! As soon as we have some news on the matter we'll be sure to let everyone know.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well support have got in touch with me and this is what they sent.

Hi Pete,

Thank you for contacting Fitbit. We apologize for the delayed response. Our privacy team is working on your request. 

Before we can turn over the data you requested, we will need to confirm your identity as the owner of the account you requested information from. At Fitbit, the account owner is the user that controls the email associated with the account. 

Therefore, we can do so by having you reply to this email. Please also include the month and year you first paired a device to the Fitbit service. If we do not hear from you or the information you provide does not reflect what we have in our records, we will consider this request void and will not release any information associated with the email address you provided. This is to protect your personal information. 

Once we verify you are the account holder, we will begin processing your request and will return it to you within 30 days from the date of your request. We will send you an electronic copy of your data through a third party platform. 

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Sabrina N and the Fitbit Team

I've gone back to them with "You are completely missing the point and clearly haven't read the thread. We don't want a one off snapshot of our data we want regular access to our detailed data so that it can be analysed by ourselves, in more detail, and tied to actual events and not the events that fitbit erroneously attempt to deduce from the data.

Pete"

Ho Hum......

Best Answer

It appears that something may be happening over at Fitbit

Hi Pete,

Thank you for providing us with that information. 

Our team has submitted a formal data request on your behalf, and we will follow up with you once your request has been completed. 

Please note, we are currently working on our data export tool so customers can download all of their Fitbit data from their dashboard.

We appreciate your patience in the meantime. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Sabrina N and the Fitbit Team

Best Answer

Hello @SunsetRunner.

Thanks for sharing those emails with us! 

I'll be on the lookout for any updates. As soon as we have anything to announce we'll be sure to let everyone know about it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Lanuza,

Can you please open a support ticket for me as well.
I too would like to get access to all of my data and right now the data export functionality is kind of limited.

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Likewise, I would also like to get the downloaded data, particularly heart rate readings for the last however many days your system retains.  Please open a case for me as well. 

Thanks much.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @manavgarg. Hey @CD_TX.

Our support team will be getting in touch with both of you! Please keep an eye on your email's inbox. 

If you have the time, be sure to visit one of our Discussion boards. Lots of different topics to talk about with other users.

Best Answer
0 Votes