Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging Body Fat Below 5%

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I love my fitbit, and since I got it last February, I have gotten in the best shape of my life, including lowering my body fat percent to 4.8%.  However, upon trying to enter such a number in the fitbit app, it gives an error, saying you must enter a value in the range of 5%-75%.  Not sure why such a restriction would exist since I know it is possible to get your body fat below 5%.  Anybody know a fix for this, or will I be forced to record imprecise data from now on? Thanks.

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

@jawnyt27, there probably isn't any way to change it - 5% is probably the minimum body fat percentage that is considered healthy, and few people have one that low.  I found this article that indicates the "ideal" body fat percentage is generally higher than 5%:

https://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Larry,

Thank you, I truly do appreciate your response.  However, as a counterargument, if the reasoning lied in what is considered healthy (which even in the article you linked seems to be somewhat under debate), why the heck would it go up to 75%???  I would think 4.8% is considerably healthy than being anywhere in the vicinity of 75% given that over 25/32% is obese???  Oh well, I would just like to be able to accurately record my data regardless of fitbit's opinion about it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jawnyt27  I think you should read this article from Men's Fitness that discusses extremely low body fat percentage in men.  15 Negative Effects of Having a Low Body Fat Percentage   Fitbit might have chosen 5% as a lower limit because of these known health findings.

BTW, I personally know Dr. Spencer Nadolsky, interviewed for the article.  He is giving sound advice.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @jawnyt27,

Where did you get the number 4.8%? It's very precise, and also so low I would question its accuracy, unless you're a serious bodybuilder.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is nothing wrong with having body fat below 5%. My body fat is 3.2% and yes I lift weights and eat correctly so I am healthier than I have ever been. Not being able to put in the correct body fat percentage is aggravating!

Best Answer
0 Votes

As a point of reference, here's what 6% bodyfat looks like (Dexa scan) in prep for a contest. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X2DFfaTvjI

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes