Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED 03/22/17: Data export tool not downloading data

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 03/22/2017: Our team took some quick action and I am happy to declare this issue as resolved! Thanks to everyone who took the time to report this and for your continued patience.

I am closing this thread as the issue is now resolved. If you come across this issue in a future instance, please create a new thread while referring to this one.

Fitbit Update 03/21/2017: Our team is aware of an issue where the data export tool in the Fitbit.com online Dashboard and in the Premium section is not allowing you to download your data.

We're working on getting a fix for this pushed out as quickly as possible. I will have updates to share with everyone as soon as I hear some news. Thanks for your patience and for taking the time to report this issue. More to come!

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
83 REPLIES 83

Having signed up to IFTTT and not understanding how to proceed with it, I have emailed the IFTTT Helpline, which claims to reply within 2 days. I am very much hoping that Fitbit will have sorted this before then.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can confirm that iftt export did work last night for my sleep tracking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

PLEASE could you explain in simple terms HOW to set this up? It would be so helpful to me and other frustrated Fitbit users.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm no expert on IFTT. I logged in and searched for fitbit which then brings up lots of recipes. Now for these to work it needs somewhere to write the data. So you need to have google drive set up, if that's in place then you just click to activate the fitbit  'recipe' you've selected (there are many of them) 

Some of them do say there's a delay on them running so you may have to wait overnight for them to run. 

I hope this helps

Best Answer
0 Votes

You have to register to IFTTT and then, if you search "fitbit spreadsheet" you will find prebuild applets that download data to Google Drive.

I think I will know tomorrow if it works...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks very much, adsmiths & SteRad! But how do activities migrate from the Google spreadsheet to Garmin Connect?  Sorry to be so dim, but I suspect there are others following this post who will also need help here. (No insult intended - fully-qualified geeks, please don't take offence!) 

Best Answer

That bit I don't know, I know garmin has instructions on importing from fitbit but it's not something I've used

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for all your efforts. If this fixes the problem for you, that's great!

Let me just say I'm a little old fashioned and this should not be so complex. I don't use IFTT, applets or scripts on my computer, but I know that for years I was able to just go to data export, configure the selections and download to Excel successfully. That's all it should take to have my data in hand. Fitbit needs to get the fix in place or myself and others are gone.........

Best Answer

@Gentian, I'm not a Garmin user, but I think I saw an option to download exercise data as a .tcx file, which apparently is a file format that Garmin Training Center can read. I don't know if that helps....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just for kicks, can anyone tell me how detailed the Fitbit activity is when things are working? I fired up the IFTTT recipe, and am somewhat underwhelmed with the data. It's a decent daily summary, but I was hoping for a little more detail on each of my exercise sessions...the IFTTT recipe downloads total steps, floors, calories burned, elevation, distance, and minutes sedentary/lightly/fairly/very active. Did the direct export from Fitbit produce more detail? Unfortunately, Thursday was the first day I attempted to export data, and the site was broken by then.

Thanks!

Sandy

Best Answer
0 Votes

The minute-by-minute data is available via their API. I've written a personal app to grab it when I need to, but it's not suitable for public consumption. I'm not aware of any 3rd party apps that do anything with the minute-level data. If there is one, let me know!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The problem still persists. I hope Fitbit solve it soon. I always analyze my data every Monday. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SandyYPA

Data, even when download works, are only a daily aggregate

Best Answer

Totally agree! Fitbit should fix this issue, we shouldn't have to use a third app to get this information. I used to do this every Monday and now I can't. Unacceptable!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sandy, as no-one more qualified than me has replied I will do so. As far as I know, the info. on Fitbit Activities available for transfer was exactly the same as that you can still see on your Dashboard.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit Update 03/21/2017: Our team is aware of an issue where the data export tool in the Fitbit.com online Dashboard and in the Premium section is not allowing you to download your data.

We're working on getting a fix for this pushed out as quickly as possible. I will have updates to share with everyone as soon as I hear some news. Thanks for your patience and for taking the time to report this issue. More to come!

Best Answer

I suggest that after replying to this e-mail with worthless assurances that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with soon, why not leave it until all of us are so frustrated that we have to transcribe all of our data by hand? This will of course serve no other purpose than to remind us just how good fitbit is at responding to problems. AS a matter of interest, why is your response marked 'solved' when it obviously isn't? An alternative way at looking at reality perhaps? I have been in touch with support multiple times and have finally figured out that 48 hours refers to 'fitbit time' which is 10% of real time. I paid for this 'premium service', thanks for nothing.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

@gordonofalba I apologize for the inconvenience as our team is currently working on getting the functionality of the data export tool back as quickly as possible. 

To clarify, the data export tool is a free tool that is accessible via the premium section and the "settings" section of your Fitbit.com profile. The functionality is the same in both sections of the online Dashboard. More information to come as I hear an update as to the status of the fix. 

Best Answer

@SandyYPA

This is what I usually get via the Download button:

Weight (lb), BMI, Fat %, Calories In, Calories Burned
Fat (g), Fiber (g), Carbs (g), Sodium (mg), Protein (g), Water (mls)
Steps, Distance, Floors, Sedentary Active Minutes, Lightly Active Minutes, Fairly Active Minutes, Very Active Minutes, Activity Calories Burned
Minutes Asleep, Minutes Awake, Awakenings, Time in Bed

The "workaround" with IFTTT is pretty sparce compared to that as I can see that same info just by clicking on my user profile anyway so for me, its a pointless workaround.

Best Answer

To all... Fitbit Export now working for me in Australia.. Have just done multiple tests, week, month etc and perfect results..  Just like before.

@ErickFitbit

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes