Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to Fitbit Data Export

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi everyone!

My name’s Ben Ward — I joined Fitbit recently, and I’m responsible for our data management features.

I’m posting to let you know that today we’ve updated Data Export. We’ve made it easier to download your data in spreadsheet-compatible formats, in addition to your account archive. We’ve unified the separate export tools that you’ve been using since last year.

I want to take this moment to thank you all for your recent feedback about data export. You’ve helped us better understand many interesting ways in which you use your data. Especially for me personally, I've settled into Fitbit and learned about the potential of these features from your stories and descriptions. We see you, and we intend to continue to support your established uses, and help you to get the most out of your Fitbit.

Today's update is quite simple, but more data export improvements will be coming in the future; to give you more control, and make your data easier to use and understand.

Thank you again for your support and feedback. As ever, we welcome your comments and suggestions on our feature suggestion board. I encourage you to continue sharing with us, and each other, the useful things you've built with your Fitbit data.

Ben

Product Manager

Best Answer
48 REPLIES 48

Hi Rob!

Can you please help me with this?

So I downloaded my FitBit Archive, because I would like to have all my weight data from the previous years. However, the weight files are in .json format, and I would like to have an .csv or excel, do you know how I can retrieve it that way?

BEst,

Anna

Best Answer

Hi @annaspiering , 

You just have to click on the link that is given by @SunsetRunner  in the message above yours.

(Broken Fitbits One, Charge 2 and 3). Using Charge 4 and Garmin fēnix 6. App vs 4.16.1 Samsung Galaxy A52. Android 14
Best Answer
0 Votes

While that is helpful, it isn't very useful. When I downloaded my FitBit archive and unzipped it, I ended up with 2,581 individual files, with data by month going back to 2015 when I got my first FitBit. 2,436 of them are JSON format. Trying to convert them one at a time would be a nightmare, and many can't be converted using the link noted without upgrading to the "Pro" version, as the site limits the file size that can be converted.

FitBit really needs to make this data available in a more useful format.

Best Answer

@BenFitbit --

@RobFitbit 

the repeated request in response to your introduction was please to help or support users' use of their long-term data.  For customers who have been with you for years, and who have large archives, the data export with a million json files is essentially useless.  Everyone wants csv files  Can't you put this functionality back into service for the account export users?  

Thanks!

Best Answer

I have had my fitbit for a couple years now. I started wearing it to monitor some of my health issues and it would help my doctors. I have always just looked at the information in the app to see trends for a week or so, but now I want an overview of how things have changed over the past couple of years. Every step of the way to obtain "MY" data has been a hurdle.

• You can NOT access this data from within the app.
  • You have to log into the website to get this data.
  • You have to make a REQUEST to get access to YOUR DATA!
  • You have to wait until this data is ready.

After all of this I received an email today stating that my data was ready. So I download a zip file with the name MyFitbitData.zip. Upon opening the archive, there was a single file inside. "Understanding and Accessing Your Personal Information.pdf"

Is this some sort of joke? I called customer support and was told this would have to be handled by a department that only corresponds via email, so now I have to sit and wait again?

This is truly the last straw. I have had multiple issues with this device as is reflected in my posts across these forums. The only job of this device is to gather and present data. I don't need a company making money off of my data, but can't even give me access to my own data.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Go to https://www.fitbit.com/settings/data/export , then click the
"DOWNLOAD" button underneath File Format.
Do not click the "Request Data" button underneath Export your account
archive.
I hope this helps. Ever since they did away with the older version of
communities about 2 years ago, they really suck.
Best Answer
0 Votes

That only allows you to download a maximum of 31 days at a time. For long time users, that will take a while to download and combine into one file. They need to extend the number of days that can be downloaded using that function.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well it took over a week before the "special" department emailed me back.

I waited 3 days before ordering a new watch from another company and I couldn't be happier. It absolutely blows away the functionality of my Charge 2 for nearly a quarter of the price. You would think that the premium price of the Fitbit would get you premium service, but I have not found that to be the case. 

Farewell

Best Answer

Hi Ben

I am doing a swimming challenge this month and would like to be able to export all my swimming activites at the end of the month. Looking at the options available im not sure how to do this. Any suggestions?

Kate

Best Answer
0 Votes