Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have two distances for the same walk?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello to all,

I notice that after tracking a walk with my GPS, my dashboard shows two different distances for the same walk (see photo) any ideas as to why?Screen shot 2017-02-26 at 8.03.10 PM.png

Best Answer
0 Votes
15 REPLIES 15

@DavidTKD, I have no idea why they are different, but they quite often are on mine. For mine, the ones in the detail map is correct and I go by that.

Best Answer
thanks for the info, USAF-Larry

DavidTKD

--
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Best Answer

Hello @DavidTKD! Welcome to the Forums.

My suggestion would be to do the walk by selecting 'Run' option on your Fitbit. There is an issue where the Walk option does get some inconsistent information in the way the pictures you posted show. Selecting the Run option should help the information be accurate.

Let me know how it goes! 

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

thanks, I'll give that a try.

Best Answer

Hey @DavidTKD, you're very welcome.

If you do give that shot, please let me know how it goes. I'd like to get much more information on this issue.

Also, if you have the time, be sure to visit our Discussion boards. There you can talk about a lot of different topics with other users.

Hope to see you around! 

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

As a follow up... I select "run" now when I take my walks and it does register correctly on my dashboard. Thanks again.

David

Best Answer

@LanuzaFitbitI have gone back 5 months on my exercise records they were all "walk" Connected GPS. There was no difference on the Android map and bar. Always on the PC Dashboard Exercise maps was 0.01km less than the bar at the top.  Never any drop outs.

I changed to Running Coonected GPS.. No difference, same results.

Phone: Android Xperia XP Android V7 and App 2.44.1 and firmware 17.8.301.8

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Colinm39 and @DavidTKD!

@DavidTKD That is great to hear. Now you can get the information that you need.

@Colinm39 Could you take some screen shots showing the difference you mentioned? I'd like to take a closer look.

Look forward to getting a better grasp on the situation.

Best Answer

@LanuzaFitbitThanks for the reply... I don't have a problem with distance.. Occasionally it drops 0.01 (10 meters) on the synced map to the server. This doesn't affect the distance recorded lifetime..

walk 13mar.jpg

walk 10feb.jpgwalk 21feb.jpg

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @Colinm39!

Thanks for those pictures. I was really interested in seeing a bit more of that. It would seem, thankfully, that this is not happening to everyone and that it only occurs to some users.

While the drop is not really big, it shouldn't really affect the overall details.

Let me know if you have nay questions or need any assistance! 

Best Answer

That happened to me yesterday as well. I tracked a walk and it was 6 km. But the distance on my dashboard was only on 5.4 km and I had done some steps before the walk. Very strange.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@aviva.sWelcome... What did the distance show in your PC Activity Log ? 

I have found the Header on the Details Log of mapping/tracking is equal to what shows on the Activity Log entry. The mapping just has the error which isn't effecting the distances recorded on your lifetime achievements.

@aviva.s wrote:

That happened to me yesterday as well. I tracked a walk and it was 6 km. But the distance on my dashboard was only on 5.4 km and I had done some steps before the walk. Very strange.

Best Answer
I logged the walk with my GPS on and it said that I walked 5.99 Km. The
distance on my dashbaord was only on 5.4 km.... very strange.

--
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @aviva.s!

I would like to ask you if the walk is being tracked by your Fitbit tracker? If so, what tracker is it? If it is a Charge 2, have you tried tracking the activity using the Run option? That one should prove to generate much more accurate details. 

Look forward to helping you make sense of this situation.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @LanuzaFitbit,

I am experiencing the different distances being reported on the same walk and also seemingly low distances from what I would expect. 

On one route of what I would expect to be well over a mile, I have gotten the differing distances of 0.23 mi to 0.71 mi showing in the app. 

I am at times pushing a stroller, so my arm isn't swinging as it typically does while walking, which I feel is reflected in a low step count. Are the number of steps calculating the distance walked even though I have my GPS tracking and a map is generated with where I walked? 

To be thorough in my explanation, I start and end the "walk" exercise tracker on my fitbit. I will try using the "run" as you recommended to another user, but is this still a known issue years later? 

Thanks, 

Tina

Best Answer
0 Votes