Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help selecting the right model

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My grandson had MIS-C. We need to keep up with his heart rate. Looking for a model that keeps up with heart rate 24/7. We need it to give alerts if his HR gets too high or low.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Charge 5, Versa 3, and Sense are the models currently that can give notification of user-set high or low heart rate at rest, meaning for inactive at least 10 minutes.  You can read more about it here How do I track heart rate with my Fitbit device? and scroll down to section "What are Heart Rate Notifications" and the following sections.

Of the 3 models, Charge 5 is the smallest, perhaps making it more comfortable for smaller/younger person (and costs least), while the Versa 3 and Sense have more additional capabilities.

You don't give any indication of grandson's age.  Note I think notifications only go to the Fitbit on wrist so must be noted by the actual user.  Also children under age 13 are not allowed to have Fitbit accounts, other than for the Ace family which does not have those alert capabilities, though some claim to have figured out a way around that.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would also check reviews of various devices by The Quantified Scientist. Some devices are better than others at measuring heart rate (hint: one of the best devices for HR accuracy isn't a Fitbit). That said, you are looking for alerts, so that may narrow your search somewhat, and @JohnnyRow's comment also come into play (child's age, size, etc).

Using Fitbit as an example, I would have a device for the child, and the app installed on my phone (my account). If you enable live updates, you should be able to check the HR from your mobile device (assuming your mobile device is within range of the Fitbit device). From what I can see, the Fitbit notification settings don't seem to allow for notifying your mobile device if the heart rate exceeds a certain/set value, so you would have to periodically check the HR on your phone. I guess it comes down to how quickly/often do you need to monitor the HR. If possible, depending on the age of your child, you don't want to have to rely on the child noticing a warning on the fitness device, unless the device can give a loud audible alert.

Check with your doctor for suggestions. Here are some things I found that might work:

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer
0 Votes