Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps/Miles

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My goal is 10,000 steps a day which is 5 miles. When I reach my goal my miles count is not 5 miles, I have to take 13,000 to reach 5 miles in order for the bar to turn green. How can I fix the steps and miles count.

Best Answer
0 Votes
60 REPLIES 60
@KatieB - 10,000 steps article was interesting. I will be changing my 8500 step goal to 10,000. Thank you.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Walk 100 ft and divide by number of steps it took you to reach that distance.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I would messure how many inches between each step!
like my steps are 36 inches between each one
Best Answer
0 Votes

I would count any many inches bewteen each step!

like I have 36 inches bewteen each step

Best Answer
0 Votes
Here is a link to instructions on how to change your stride length.
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-measure-and-adjust-my-stride-length/?q=c...
Best Answer
0 Votes

@betpchem wrote:

I got the privacy error too. I bypassed it and copied the article. Here it is:

How do I measure and adjust my stride length?

Fitbit trackers calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps and walking stride length. Similarly, your running steps are multiplied by your running stride length. By default, stride length is determined using your height and gender. If you feel that your distance measurement isn't being accurately tracked, you may want to adjust your stride length:

1.  Go to a track or somewhere that you know the exact distance of.
  2.  Count your steps as you walk across that distance, making sure you travel at least 20 steps.
  3.  Divide the total distance (in feet) taken by the number of steps to get your stride length.
Your running stride can be calculated the same way, only by running a known distance rather than walking.

To adjust your stride length on your dashboard, please do the following:

1.  Log into your Fitbit.com dashboard.
  2.  Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of your dashboard and select "Settings."
  3.  You will see a field for Stride Length and Running Stride Length. From here, you can manually enter your personal stride length. If you leave these blank, your profile will estimate these values based on your height and gender.
  4.  Click the "Update Profile" button to save your changes. Note that a sync will be required to update your tracker with your new stride measurements.

I have a question on this as I tried to adjust my stride and cannt find the setting to do so from dashboard. everything makes sense except for there is no location for stride under the gear icon. Has the dashboard chnaged?

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-measure-and-adjust-my-stride-length/?q=change+step+length&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1.

Unable to find stride under settings has the dashboard changed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rhud 

First go to the gear symbol in the upper right of your dashboard. Click on the gear symbol and choose "settings"

You'll see a bunch of categories on the left. Make sure you are on "Personal Info"

You should see your name and other information there. Scroll down a bit until you see stride length (it's under your gender and height and birthday info.)

Let us know if you find it. 

@rhud wrote:

@SunsetRunner wrote:
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-measure-and-adjust-my-stride-length/?q=change+step+length&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1.

Unable to find stride under settings has the dashboard changed?

Best Answer

My stride is correct but my zip is telling me that i only walked 1.98 miles at 13000 steps. i calculated a distance on google map to walk a flat 2 miles. what's wrong with my zip. sadly with short legs and to walk faster i have a foot and 2 inch stride

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have found that about 10,000 steps can be as much as 4 to 5 miles.

@packgirl13 wrote:

10,000 Steps equal how many miles? I am wondering

@packgirl13 wrote:

10,000 Steps equal how many miles? I am wondering

Best Answer
0 Votes
You have to mesure the inches between each foot step!
mine is 36 inches between each step,
so 10,000 steps is close to 6 miles!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for your help. I appreciate your help.

Sue
Best Answer
0 Votes
My stride length is 1 foot 3 inches. I'm female, 5 feet 1 inches tall, recovering from sudden severe peripheral neuropathy which left me relearning to walk and building up muscle again. I'm surprised to see someone have a stride length so similar to mine. (Small yay!)
Best Answer
0 Votes
I can't quote or edit posts. My previous reply was for Klynn81.
Best Answer
0 Votes
you need to know the inches between each step, to know the distance,
like there is 36 inches between each step, the 10,000 steps is around 4 miles for me!
Best Answer
0 Votes
It depends on you foot stride. Some take big steps others small small . I
was told 10,000 steps is about 5 miles. Another good choice is a pedometer
for use your smart phone. Hope this helps.
Sue
Best Answer
0 Votes

I get 10K in 4 miles

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am trying to get my issue resolved.  I went to my dashboard, clicked settings and do not see an option to adjust length/stride.  I have the flex.  Can anyone share if they have done this and how you did it?  Many thanks!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think it's in your personal profile settings accessed from the top right corner of your screen - where you first entered things like your height, weight, age and gender when you set up your account.

Hilary | UK

Charge, Aria, iPhone 4s, Mac

If this answer is helpful, please vote for it and/or mark it as a solution.

Best Answer

Thank you.  I thought that the distance depended on height and stride length.  I have to take about 12,200 steps to get five miles, and I am about 5'3". That makes sense with your examples. My office mate insists that 10K steps is five miles.  Now I know my instinct was correct, and it varies with height. Now I can trust the default stride length on my Charge and not go changing settings.

Best Answer
0 Votes