Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking steps while horse back riding??

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am an avid equestrian and ride 5-6 days a weeks. Today was my first day of using my Fitbit Flex and when I rode it counted the steps my horse took!!

Anyone have a solution, short of removing it when I am riding??

Best Answer
0 Votes
29 REPLIES 29

Thanks for stopping by @Shadowbrooke! No worries, you can manually add an activity on your Dashboard in order to avoid this from happening again. You will need to select "horseback riding" and choose from the options listed on the Activity log page.

If you need help getting the instructions on how to manually log an activity, you can click on this article

I wish you the best!Robot Very Happy

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Melissa
Thanks. I logged my actual riding but the Flex counted steps of my horse towards my goal of number of steps taken
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Shadowbrooke are you referring to your daily goal, your 7 day goal or a new Badge given for that step count?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem with fitbit reporting steps taken while riding. I do enter the horseback riding activity, but it still does not "subtract" the steps it counted erroneously. To be accurate, what should happen is this: fitbit counts steps as normal even while I"m riding. At the end of my ride, I enter the activity with the start/end times for the ride. Fitbit should then subtract all the steps it counted during the time I was riding (since the horse was doing the stepping) but add the calories burned while riding. This just isn't happening, though.

Best Answer

DId you ever get an answer? I ride and would like to keep my fitbit on and not count horse steps

Best Answer

No, sorry - I never got an answer that solved the problem. I haven't tried the "horseback riding" activity lately to see if it ever got fixed- I've just been taking the Flex off before I ride - which is not a great solution since when I often get off and walk when I'm on a long trail ride. argh.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As far as I'm aware, 'Driving' is the only activity that has ever subtracted steps so the only alternatives you have are to remove the device or live with the steps (unless you log the time as 'Driving' I suppose).

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @Lisa1526! If you wish to wear your tracker while you ride your horse, you can manually log "Horseback riding" on your Dashboard. You can give it a try and see if this works for you.

Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Melissa, as stated beforehand, logging "horseback riding" as an activity doesn't remove steps as it should - it's a bug in the program.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Oops, sorry for this @LindaCW, I appreciate your reply and clarification. I will report this once more time.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Thank you SO much, @MikeF! You just solved my problem! I drive a Jeep Wrangler and unless I'm on perfectly smooth roads my pedometer on my phone counts each bounce as a step! I just got my FitBit Flex today and was worried about how to avoid adding steps when driving my Jeep. DRIVING!!! Excellent! Thank you again!

Best Answer

I agree- I want the steps that I walk when I dismount.

Best Answer
0 Votes

it didn't work

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lisa1526 I appreciate your reply. If you are still seeing your step count after logging driving as an activity on your Dashboard, I will escalate this information to our developers so they can work on a fix. This might be a flaw in this specific activity, so it would be best to look into it.

Thank you for your patience. Robot wink

Best Answer

I am still struggling with how to even log the riding in? I was surprised that my Fitbit came with so little info in the package. I traied to enter the time in the dashboard and with kept giving me an error so I gave up

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm sorry about that @Lisa1526, were you able to check out the Flex product manual? I know it is different to consult any information or questions you might have about the tracker through the helpsite rather than a printed manual, however, I'm sure you will get familiarized with it very soon.

If you still want to enter the time on your Dashboard, try following the steps in this article.

Thanks. Robot Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

The problem of steps being counted when horseback riding is still not corrected. The steps my horse takes are not removed when I log the activity manually. My horse should be earning the achievement badges, not me!

FitBit, please listen to your equestrian clients and resolve this problem.

Thank you.

Best Answer

My husband and I just had our maiden horsback ride with our fitbit HR.  We had the same problem. How do we push this issue up to the developer level and see if they can create a fix for this.  We are also avid trail riders and mix walking with riding.  I would be great to get accurate readings for this activity!

Best Answer
I see this problem has already been mentioned, but not resolved. I bought a Fitbit yesterday, and I love it. That said, I, too am an avid horseback rider. I would like to keep my Fitbit on when I ride, but it counts my horses steps as my own. Why can't this be resolved?
Best Answer