Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1,000 Miles in a Month

Challenge you to walk 1,000 miles in a month. My work is having a walking competition and my goal is 1,000 miles for the month of November. 5 days 12 hours 56 min and 31 seconds until I began. Instagram @walkwithme1000 

Best Answer
0 Votes
23 REPLIES 23

@Walkwithme1000 wrote:

@challenge you to walk 1,000 miles in a month. My work is having a walking competition and my goal is 1,000 miles for the month of November. 5 days 12 hours 56 min and 31 seconds until I began. Instagram @Walkwithme1000 

Where are you going to be walking?  How many hours per day will you be walking?  Do you have a full-time job?  Do you have a family?

In November of 2016 I ran 330 miles and walked another 160 miles which works out to just less than half your goal, and I have to tell you, if you have any sort of other time commitments, 1,000 miles will be an extremely challenging goal to meet.

Best Answer

Shipo, I am so glad to get replies. My plan is to walk everywhere. I do have a full time job and a family of 6. Fortunately for me my job (Runbeck) is promoting a walking competition and is very enthusiastic about our (employees) health. My family consists of my lovely wife who is extremely supportive and our youngest of 15 (at the age where they prefer not to see us around as much) and the other 3 have moved out. I will plan to rise at 2:30 a.m. and walk until 7:00 a.m. (get ready for work) which will yield me approx. 13.5 miles. During the course of my work day I average 15,000 to 20,000 steps (average of 8 miles). This will leave me approx 12 miles to complete between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. I have the support of my  lovely wife to help me accomplish this, she has meal plans, hydration plans ready to go. It is going to be very hard but I am very stubborn. I created and Instagram account @walkwithme1000 for friends, family, coworkers and many more to follow.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Walkwithme1000, well, I wish you luck, walking that kind of distance, day in and day out, on only four and a half hours of sleep is going to be very hard on your body.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Best Answer

Put your mind to it and you'll absolutely smash this goal! 
Keep us updated though, it'd be good to see how you feel once you've got the the end and if you notice any changes in yourself!

Best Answer

I will definitely keep my progress updated. My story began when I won a FitBit Blaze at my work Christmas Party in November of 2016. I am not sure why it excited me so much but it did. I was obsessed daily with reaching my goals and would drag family members out with me to do some "steppin" as we call it at home. In January of 2017 I decided to turn my walking goals into weight loss goals as well. I began at 331 lbs and currently weigh 251 lbs. In February and March of this year my company promoted a walking competition for all employees to participate in if they chose. Over the course of the 2 months I walked (many of the following miles were with my lovely wife, proud owner of a Charge 2) 1,048 miles and that only won me 2nd place (my arch nemesis beat me by 3 miles). Last week my wife bought me an early Birthday present (FitBit Ionic) to help me in my next walking competition starting November 1, 2017. We will be walking for the month of November only and my goal is 1,000 miles. Follow me on Instagram @Walkwithme1000 to see my progress.

Best Answer

That's absolutely amazing, well done so far!

The best way to enjoy walks is to grab a camera, grab a friend/family/spouse and go out to some super amazing view points and capture them all. You got this! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Challenge meet - This should be taken as encouragement. I'm retired with a supportive wife, living in the front range of the Rocky Mtns where I, by intent, have fantastic and varied walking possibilities just out the door.  It still was not easy (averaged~65k steps/day) - I'm not ready to do it again.  Discounting ~5k 'garbage' steps, 60K takes me about 8 hours of dedicated walking (with ~10% light running). That varies widely from day to day (3 -14 hrs), as do rest time and other interspersed activities.

Wish you the best - it is certainly doable & sounds like you have the needed support from family and work. (Also, listen very carefully to your joints - doing so much, so soon while overweight/obese may not be such a good idea. Be prepared to tap out early if needed to avoid damage.)

fitbit 2MM.png

Best Answer

That is fantastic. Definitely inspirational!!!!

I will keep my progress posted. I have done multiple 90,000 step days and (1) 100,000 step day.

IMG_2943.PNG

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Walkwithme1000 I don't do Instagram, but if you'd like Fitbitters to follow your progress, you can just make public the Steps/Distance/Floors and Time Active graphs on your profile page. 

Best Answer

@BruceBu, agreed, I don't do Instagram either.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will activate my public sharing. Thanks for the tip!

Best Answer
0 Votes

**ahem**, that's good of you to have lost all that weight! I was heading close to 400 lbs and decided to finally get off my lazy butt and get fit! 2012 I managed to work myself down to 180 lbs and have been at around 200-180 lbs range since then. 

I've had a stressful past couple of years and find it hard to get south of 200 lbs (my ideal weight, according to the BMI index, should be about 175, but I was skinny enough at 180!), so that's why I decided to join the Fitbit community aside from just counting steps, and it helps! Daily and weekly challenges are awesome, and a good way to bring out the competitiveness in me.

I wish you the best of luck on your 1000 mile quest! Robot Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your best wishes!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Walkwithme1000 I wish you lots of success in your goal But please please please take care of those feet, be sure you have the right shoes with the right support and you give your joints and muscles proper rest and nourishment. You don't want these miles to be your last miles while you recover from injury...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@BruceBu @shipo @emili @Belobog Day one came and went fast. No matter how much you prepare that first day is hard. Ended up with a little over 35 miles walked. Day 2 is half over and I am just north of 25 miles so I will definitely hit goal today as well.

Best Answer

@Walkwithme1000, we still cannot see your progress on your profile page.  😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Walkwithme1000, How are you progressing?

I would love to see your progress.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I want an update, too! I hope @Walkwithme1000 doesn't hurt himself trying to accomplish this!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@shipo and @Belobog I am progressing. It is definitely hard! My feet are sore, worked through a couple blisters. I also have had a few sore areas in my back but soaking and treating my back and feet like kings.

Fitbit Dashboard_Page_1.jpg

Best Answer