Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10k steps...

ANSWERED

I just got my Flex this weekend and 10k steps seems like a lot.  Like I'm sure many people who buy these things, I work in an office and have a really sedentary lifestyle. Yesterday (sunday) I took the dog for a walk that was over a mile, and also went shopping, and still just barely hit 5K.  Maybe on a weekend day I could go on two one mile walks, but I just can't see that happening on weekdays.  I don't even have the luxury for one walk on weekdays when it's dark and freezing out by the time I get home from work.

I just don't get how I'm supposed to do this.  My office building is pretty small and I try to get up and walk around when I can, but It's not going to add up to much. There may be occasions when I can maybe walk on my lunch break, but most days I eat at my desk and work through my lunch break.  It's not mandatory, but it's expected.

Is 10k steps really a bottom rung baseline goal to shoot for? I feel like I'm failing before i've even really started.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Just starting out, you may not want to set your goal on 10k.  IMHO, if a goal seems unattainable then it becomes more of a demotivator.  I'd start by just wearing it for several workdays and non-work days to get a feel for what you are already doing.  Use that as your baseline.

Then set your goal to be somewhat higher.  Enough that you have to strive to hit it, but can feel like it is within reach.  Whether that is an extra 1000 steps or 1 mile or more (or less), make it attainable.  Over time gradually raise the bar.  Many of us have found walking to become addicting, even (or perhaps especially?) for those of us who had a really sedentary lifestyle.

You may want different goals for work days vs non-work days.  There again, just wearing it now without trying to change your habits yet gives you a measuring rod for the future.

There are many ways to try to get more steps in, without needing to walk outside when dark or freezing.  Stop by a mall or other large public building with hallways, or a department or grocery store and walk every aisle.  Well-lit, conditioned air, and better security than walking in the dark at night.  Or maybe just stay at the office building longer and walk its halls and stairways if it has some, or loop past cubicles if it does not.  Or walk in place at home while watching TV.

The important thing is to try to increase your activity.  So start by wearing it to find out what you do now, so that you can guage how much you are adding to your lifestyle.  The 10k number is not some magical figure where below that there are no benefits, and above that creates world peace.

My favorite mantra is:  "Whether you think you can or think you can't; you're right."

Make your goal increases small and obtainable, and it is much easier to think you can.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
49 REPLIES 49

I too work in an office and initially set my goal for 5000 steps because I wanted to feel successful and have a baseline to measure my progress.  Now I have a goal of 7000 after three months and I usually make that goal.  Will continue adding until I get to 10000.

I walk the long way around the office to go to the copier, check my secure in box, and talk with other staff.  It takes 15 minutes for me to walk around the block so I can usually fit it in during lunch break.  Works for me.

Best Answer
Try this.....
Make two "daily" goals

First make a daily goal that you think you can achieve on a normal day. Make it 5000 or 6000 steps. Make it a goal to absolutely hit those numbers 5 out of 7 days. Then also have a stretch daily goal of 10,000 steps and on those days that you see yourself getting more steps than normal....you do whatever it takes to hit the numbers ( walk in the evening after work until you hit the numbers )

Do you have a friend at work that would be willing to walk with you during lunch?
Do you park your car as far as possible from your office desk?
Best Answer

Thanks guys, sounds like I realy ought to start at 5000, but I wasn't sure if that just made me a huge wimp or what.  😛  

The business I work for is pretty small. We're discouraged from taking lunch breaks at the same time, and parking the furthest away that I can from the door might add 20 steps to my day. 😛

Maybe I can try using the treadmill at my apartment complex during winter in the evenings.  It would feel weird to go walking without my dog though. 😉

Best Answer

Just starting out, you may not want to set your goal on 10k.  IMHO, if a goal seems unattainable then it becomes more of a demotivator.  I'd start by just wearing it for several workdays and non-work days to get a feel for what you are already doing.  Use that as your baseline.

Then set your goal to be somewhat higher.  Enough that you have to strive to hit it, but can feel like it is within reach.  Whether that is an extra 1000 steps or 1 mile or more (or less), make it attainable.  Over time gradually raise the bar.  Many of us have found walking to become addicting, even (or perhaps especially?) for those of us who had a really sedentary lifestyle.

You may want different goals for work days vs non-work days.  There again, just wearing it now without trying to change your habits yet gives you a measuring rod for the future.

There are many ways to try to get more steps in, without needing to walk outside when dark or freezing.  Stop by a mall or other large public building with hallways, or a department or grocery store and walk every aisle.  Well-lit, conditioned air, and better security than walking in the dark at night.  Or maybe just stay at the office building longer and walk its halls and stairways if it has some, or loop past cubicles if it does not.  Or walk in place at home while watching TV.

The important thing is to try to increase your activity.  So start by wearing it to find out what you do now, so that you can guage how much you are adding to your lifestyle.  The 10k number is not some magical figure where below that there are no benefits, and above that creates world peace.

My favorite mantra is:  "Whether you think you can or think you can't; you're right."

Make your goal increases small and obtainable, and it is much easier to think you can.

Best Answer

If the apartment complex has two treadmills, maybe he could walk on the one next to you.  Pretend he's Astro on the Jetson's.  Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Thanks Doug, that's great advice. What's sad is that 15 years ago I was in the Army and marching 15k a day with a full pack and a rifle, and today finding time and resources to just go for a walk seems really difficult. Oh, how times have changed.  😛

Best Answer

McVeganPants... first LOVE that name

Just a question: I know it's dark and COLD at night. But I live in Canada and I start going out at 9:00PM. My trick is to spend the cash on good winter gear. Being in Canada, that's a must anyway. I wear snow pants, winter coats, hat, mittens scarf the whole 9 yards. By the time I get home I am SWEATING. Oh: I got some great great great winder boots.

What kind of dog do you have? Can she go outside in the cold?

Best Answer

Wow, you must be hardcore to go walking at night in Canada. I live in the south and we've been having an unusually cold winter so far, so I guess part of the problem is that I just don't own warm clothing. It hasn't been necessary, espicially when your only outdoor activity is walking to your car and back. I'm much more used to it being too hot to go outside than it being too cold.

I guess I am being kind of a baby about the temperature.  My dog is only 8 lbs though, and really shouldn't be out if it's below freezing even with a doggie jacket on. He's a great little guy, but not much of a workout buddy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, Things that work for me are jogging in place while watching TV when I can't get outside and using a individual  rebounder which will help with your steps and is an all around good tool to use for total body health as it keeps your lymh glands fluid moving throughout your body. 

Best Answer

Neat, I never even thought of a rebounder!  I cold totally see myself bouncing away while watching a movie or something. That would also be great for during the summer when it's 110 out.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm an early morning girl. 5:15 am. 17 degrees F is my cutoff anything above 17 and my running partner and I are out there.  We'll go out in snow and rain but ice on our back country roads gets a little dicey.  Where theres a will theres a way.

Best Answer

Suggest you reset your goal to not over 5000. Most pedometers work out to 2000 steps per mile. So 10K equals almost 5 miles. When you consistently meet your new goal, adjust upward.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree to wear it for a few days maybe a week to get what your normal work and non-worday numbers are and then set your goal from there.  You can also find ways to add steps.  Like I don't run into a lot of stairs so when I do,  I try to do them twice.  maybe show up to work 10-15 minutes earlier and walk around the building a few times before going to your desk.  I print to a network printer 2 offices over so I have to walk to get it.  I try to interact with people in the building in person instead of email or phone.  Walk whil watching TV.  Get your 8 glasses of water as a minimum per day..that will have you running to the restroom.  When clearing the dinner tabel I clear one place setting at a time.   I am trying to get back into the habit of getting up at 4:30AM so I can workout before I go to work in the morning.  You will find what works for you and ways to get additional steps.  Oh pace whenever talking on the phone.

Welcome to Fitbit!  I wish you well on your journey.

Leslie
Best Answer

I have found that chasing my dog around the house (playing tag or hide and seek) gets me a significant number of steps.  Also turn on some music and dance around, it is much more fun than a treadmill.

Margaret
Best Answer

A rebounder is a great option for stepping indoors, I've used mine a lot.  Be aware it will think you're getting all that motion on solid ground and give you an inflated calorie burn, though.  The steps count is fine, though.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer

15 minutes during lunch can really add up - did you know it's illegal to not let employees take a lunch break?  

Lisa Marie
Best Answer

I just bought a rebounder a few days ago with some christmas money!  I'm pretty excited about it. It appears to be a great workout so far, and it's really run.  I don't know why everyone doesnt get one these things.  🙂

As for the lunch situation at work, our boss never says we can't take lunch.  He does, however, say that on busy days, he would prefer we made the choice to work through lunch. Wink wink.  Unfortunately, mid February to mid December consists almost entirely of busy days, and not working through lunch almost always results in having to stay late.

I have been taking advantage of the current lul on most days to walk for 30 minutes. It gets me about... a mile and a half, and on days I do this I get into the 6000-7000 step range.

Best Answer

I feel ya; I've had the same issue with work and not being able to go out or step away.  I often walk in place at my desk for 30-60 seconds at a time.

Until you've worked up to 10,000 steps, though, I'd also recommend changing your goal to something attainable for you.  It's OK if you're not getting to 10,000 yet, and it can be discouraging if you feel like there's an expectation to get there quickly.  The link below has information on how to change the goal number.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Flex/Changing-Goals/m-p/46021/highlight/true#M5115

Best Answer

Hi 

I find that I have to really work at getting my 10.000 steps in per day. I work at it in 15 min increments, at home I set the timer on my stove and just walk around my kitchen.dining.living area is it a rectange.  I just walk as fast as I can for 15 mins in the morning and a couple of times in the evening before and after dinner when I get home. Even at work I will set my phone timer for 15 minutes and walk around the parking lot or office buidling, this week has been to cold to walk outside so at lunch I have been walking around my local Giant grocery store just up and down the aisle around around until my 30 mins are up. I also have been using  leslie sansone: walk at home, dvd i do her 2 mile walk everyday. It does take some effort my I can get the 10K-12K of steps in per day. Every little  biit of movement make my number move on the Fitbit ! 

Good luck everyone, here hopeing there is less of us tomorrow ! 

Best Answer